No announcement yet.

I'll Just Leave This Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be noted that the huge influence of religion in politics in the US is a relatively recent thing and you can largely thank the 50s for it. >.>

The Founding Fathers really weren't that big on it at all.

Comment

Could that be because before that there were fewer openly diverging faiths in the U.S., and thus pople assumed they were on the same -ish faith.

And because they had the "godless" Sovietic union as a commom enemy.

Comment

It could be. Then again, maybe not. Consider that during that time period we had the first non-Protestant Christian elected...but after showing that he wasn't really a true papist. Being anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic was definitely in vogue during that time and before then. So...there's an argument in your statement, but would need a bit more support.
        I has a blog!

Comment

So another reason for not asking about religion would be because Catholics and Jews wouldn´t go that far?, and therefore religion in presidential candidates was more uniform?

Comment

Possibly. You'd have to look at lists of candidates throughout time for a position and see if anybody besides a Protestant ran...if their religion is mentioned at all.
            I has a blog!

Comment

Well, Jefferson and Lincoln were deists who didn't believe in the divinity of Christ. And Kennedy was Catholic, as was John Floyd, a third-party candidate in 1832. I've been looking for others who ran but weren't elected.

But here are the rest of the presidents.
              "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
              TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
              X