Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare you say something to support my faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's possible she was upset because she thought you were implying that Mormonism is a direct descendant of Norse Mythology, which AFAIK isn't true.

The thing is, though, so many religions share that same "tri-world" idea, whether it's heaven, earth, and hell or Asgard, Midgard, and Utgard. She might as well be offended if you pointed out all the monotheist religions were similar in that they are one-god.

That being said, making comparisons between Mormons and Norse mythology based on the "three worlds" is akin to comparing a car to an airplane based on the fact they both have wheels. As a whole they're very different.

Comment

Panacea got it wrong? Oh, Frigg!
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
        I think a little of column A, little of column B
        So probably wouldn't like having it pointed out that the founders of the faith were con men?

http://sidneyrigdon.com/criddle/Smith-ConMan.htm
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post

That being said, making comparisons between Mormons and Norse mythology based on the "three worlds" is akin to comparing a car to an airplane based on the fact they both have wheels. As a whole they're very different.
          I don't think he was making comparisons between the two religions. I think they were talking about Norse Mythology, he was explaining the three planes, couldn't remember the name of the third one. So instead he tried to make an analogy that she would understand for the third plane.

It's more like you can't remember what the things on the car is called to let it roll forward, so in speaking to a pilot, you say, "You know, planes have something like them, just the power isn't directed to them and they're free rolling."

Pilot would probably go, "Oh, the wheels." Not, "HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THE BEAUTY THAT IS AN AIR CRAFT TO THE GROUNDED, DIRT RIDDEN TRAMP CARRYING TRASH THAT IS A CAR!?"

Comment

It scares people when you compare their faith to the "untrue" faiths because it forces them to compare the two. "Well golly gee, my faith says a lot of the same things as Faith X, I wonder what that means? NO! NO I WON'T THINK ABOUT THIS. BEGONE, SATAAAAN!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
              It scares people when you compare their faith to the "untrue" faiths because it forces them to compare the two. "Well golly gee, my faith says a lot of the same things as Faith X, I wonder what that means? NO! NO I WON'T THINK ABOUT THIS. BEGONE, SATAAAAN!!!"
              And that' exactly the person who seriously needs to examine their belief system. If your beliefs cannot stand scrutiny, or open discussion, then you either don't understand them, your faith is weak, or there is a problem with what you have chosen to believe.

Test all things; hold fast that which is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
                I've never really understood that mentality. If you're right, that means every other view must be, not just a little off here and there, but absolutely and totally wrong on every point?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                  And that' exactly the person who seriously needs to examine their belief system. If your beliefs cannot stand scrutiny, or open discussion, then you either don't understand them, your faith is weak, or there is a problem with what you have chosen to believe.

Test all things; hold fast that which is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
                  Exactly. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few people who simply refuse to think about their faith on a deeper level. "I believe what I believe because I was taught to believe it" just about sums up their reasoning. It's frustrating to talk to those people, because they're completely ignorant and don't seem to care.

Comment

Working...
                  X