• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's because they aren't the sort to jump on couches on national TV

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
      That's because they aren't the sort to jump on couches on national TV
      I like to jump on couches

I don't usually put them on TVs though I think that would break the TV how do I make my TV national? Flag sticker?
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Several women are suing the Sea Org, the highest order of Scientology, because they were pressured to have abortions.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Fashion Lad! View Post
          So why is it different when one religion kills just like many others? What makes scientology different than any other religion other than beliefs?
          (Warning: WALL OF TEXT)

This may have already been answered but it's piqued my interest.

What makes Scientology different from other established religions (Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, etc), is many things. From suing people to bizarre circumstances.

Unlike most religions, they have a reputation for shoving back at anyone who criticizes them in public. This shows Hubbard's guidelines for dealing with criticism:

(1) Spot who is attacking us.

(2) Start Investigating them promptly for FELONIES or worse using our own
          professionals, not outside agencies.

(3) Double curve our reply by saying we welcome an investigation of them.

(4) Start feeding lurid, blood, sex, crime actual evidence on the
          attackers to the press.
          I don't think I've ever heard the Catholic Church for example suing anybody for having their beliefs criticized. Or for the constant jokes that get made about them when it comes to priests. Scientology hires people to dig up any information that may look bad in order to draw attention to their attacker. The author of a TIME magazine article that covered them had several attorneys and private investigators after them. All with the CoS. That same author had his credit report obtained by them (illegally). These two articles are what I mentioned:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...972865,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...972886,00.html

Scientology is good at taking your cash. Very good. You're pretty much a financial wreck if you want to advance up to a higher level in Scientology. They also want to make sure they get every penny, even if you're dead. Something that poor Noah's parents can attest to.

What makes Scientology so dangerous and regarded as they are is their belief that psychiatry is bad. They also believe that being sick for example is in your mind. This is highly dangerous because it leaves people who suffer schizophrenia for example untreated. It's a train wreck waiting to happen. (Ironically, there were antihistamines found in Hubbard's system) There's also their Narconon program, a group that treats drug addicts. However, their measures are dangerous. They do not have any qualified medical personnel, is based on bad theories, and potentially puts their patients at serious risk.

WARNING: THIS LINK HAS GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING IMAGES. CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK.

There's also the above link. When that happens, people start to get suspicious.

People look at Scientology in a much different light. An acquaintance of mine once paid a visit to a CoS. To best describe him, he's in his own little world. But when he was in there he said he felt some vibes that he did not like and wanted to get the hell out of there.

What makes people look at Scientology differently is that they've been involved in numerous legal controversies. They've been raided by the FDA, they've had problems with the IRS, and they try to damage your reputation if you're criticizing them in a public forum.

Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult/corporation. They're a corporation in that they try to spin public relations in an overly agressive manner and have a huge team of lawyers. They're the finest example of a cult because they brainwash you into doing things. They deserve their criticism because they've ruined so many lives, they deserve their criticism because they can't handle negative things being said about them. People are suspicious of Scientology because they practice dangerous theories.

People have died due to religion, but this is a different story.
          "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

Originally posted by CancelMyService View Post
            To be fair, the FBI was after Hubbard. They knew that Scientology was basically a con designed to shake down members for ridiculous "fees" to gain access to higher levels.

IMO Hubbard was also suffering from an undiagnosed mental disorder, possibly schizophrenia. It would explain both his increasingly odd behavior as his life went on and Scientology's inbred hatred of psychology (to think it's a real science is to be "glib", as ol' Tom would say).
            His hatred of psychology stems from farther back than Scientology. I've read the entire "Mission Earth" series and his "social commentary" contained therein has a lot of bashing of psychology.

To the point extreme wherein anyone dealing with psychology and psychiatry are themselves in serious need of mental help.

I enjoyed he series, but man you could see where his perceptions of the world were a little skewed.
            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Working...
            X