Cheapness in the name of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapness in the name of religion

You've seen the threads on CS. Someone uses their set of beliefs as an excuse not to tip. What if that waitstaff knew of religious passages that argues in favor of the server? They wouldn't necessarily have to cite them to the stiffer. It's just another tool in their toolbox. But at the very least they have the moral high ground.

So my idea was to compile said list using quotes from religious texts.

You don't even have to dig; "treat others as you would like to be treated" covers it unless you don't like having money (in which case giving it to your server would help you both anyway)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Render unto server that which is server's.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

This one seemed fitting. 2 Corinthians 9:7 in the KJV states:

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

Comment

"Cheat not the merchants and peddlers for tis an evil thing to do!"

Okay, so it's from "Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar," but close enough!
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
            "Cheat not the merchants and peddlers for tis an evil thing to do!"

Okay, so it's from "Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar," but close enough!
            Eh, it doesn't matter. My experience is, most Christians attribute a lot of Biblical-sounding proverbs to the Bible that actually aren't found in the Bible. So they probably wouldn't realize it if it hit 'em.

Comment

He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.

-Psalm 112:9

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

-Luke 6:38
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Keep out of my bosom without buying me dinner first.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Now the hard part: citing verses which say God wants us to be stingy.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Are you kidding? People only use religion when it benefits them. They won't listen to any religious arguments that favor them tipping more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                      Render unto server that which is server's.

Rapscallion
                      I heard a story on another message board about a deliver driver who ran a $400 order to a church and the priest/minster told the driver "OH> Your tip has been donated to the church. Thank you for your gift."
                      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                        I heard a story on another message board about a deliver driver who ran a $400 order to a church and the priest/minster told the driver "OH> Your tip has been donated to the church. Thank you for your gift."
                        ....*headdesk* For the love of crap

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                          ....*headdesk* For the love of crap
                          That's what I said! You've got to be shitting me.

Wasn't there some article from a Bible-thumper blog that someone posted on CS about how not tipping your server is a gift to them so they work harder or some crap?

Comment

I'd have asked the guy who dumped the tip in donation box where in the Bible it said it was ok to steal from your neighbors. >_<

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Acts 2:38 would be a good one. Not the quote to which it refers, but the actual reference itself.

I heard a joke where a woman who was being robbed used this quote to stop the robber. When the cops questioned the robber about the Biblical reference, he said "What Bible? She said that she had an axe and two 38s!"

Comment

Working...
                              X