No announcement yet.

Cheapness in the name of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't there some article from a Bible-thumper blog that someone posted on CS about how not tipping your server is a gift to them so they work harder or some crap?
    It was on Christwire. Which is a parody site.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I saw this today, I thought I wouldn't but I did. I was at the hospital waiting for my Mom to get out of knee surgery. A lady had one of those fake bills and made sure to let the cashier and other worker at a coffee shop see the "bill" which was a 50. I was soooooo mad when I had to see their faces when they excitedly started to split the "tip". Since it was these two when the stall opened and these two 12 hours later...it should have been a nice tip for them.

The people in front of me that saw this and one person after me (as well as myself) all tipped a bit higher then I think we would have to remove some of the sting.

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
        Acts 2:38 would be a good one. Not the quote to which it refers, but the actual reference itself.

I heard a joke where a woman who was being robbed used this quote to stop the robber. When the cops questioned the robber about the Biblical reference, he said "What Bible? She said that she had an axe and two 38s!"
        That's classic.

Isn't there a passage in the Bible which basically states that you shouldn't use the Bible for social, political, or otherwise purposes, especially to pressure and bully people?

I forget where now. Too late at night to. Might put a whole kvatch on this, though. Not unless you want to claim you were teaching them a lesson they forgot from their own Holy Book.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
          lady had one of those fake bills and made sure to let the cashier and other worker at a coffee shop see the "bill" which was a 50. I was soooooo mad when I had to see their faces when they excitedly started to split the "tip".

I'm so mad just reading this. There is absolutely nothing worse than getting excited and being let down like that.

Comment

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysalis View Post
              Isn't there a passage in the Bible which basically states that you shouldn't use the Bible for social, political, or otherwise purposes, especially to pressure and bully people?
              Yes, actually. Matthew 6:5. "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward."

I realize it doesn't mention bullying, but the message is the same: don't shove religion down other people's throats.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Well, Matthew 6:5 is more about not praying in public for the purpose of being seen to be religious, and doesn't really say anything about proselytizing.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As my father used to say. "Religion is a lot like having a penis. It's all well and good if you have one, Just don't try to cram it down the throat of everyone you meet."

Comment

Here's a few.

2 Corinthians 9:7

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
                    Proverbs 11:24

One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want.

Luke 16:10

“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.
                    Romans 13:7

Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honour to whom honour is owed.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14

Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.
                    1 Timothy 5:17-18

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honour, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The labourer deserves his wages.”
                    Malachi 3:9

You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you.
                    Enjoy! XD
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

1 Corinthians 9:13-14

Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.
                      I'll have to remember that one next time I run into somebody who insists preachers ought to work for free.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        I'll have to remember that one next time I run into somebody who insists preachers ought to work for free.
                        Ugh. Churches are expensive to run. A vow of poverty is not the same thing as a vow to starve to death.

I'm not even a member of my church yet, but I still donate what I can when I can. They're supporting me; I should support them.
                        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

To help out one of the churches that allow me to use their restroom I bring in baby coupons for the nursery. I think since January I've brought in at least a k in coupons and if they are being used before they expire then that's a k that was saved in the budget. It's not a church I would ever go to however, wrong denomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                            A lady had one of those fake bills and made sure to let the cashier and other worker at a coffee shop see the "bill" which was a 50.
                            I've gotten "fake tips" like these, tho with smaller "bills". While it may not always be the case, the ones I've seen always include some sort of passive-aggressive message like "Did you see this and hope it was money? (yada yada yada) True wealth is to be found in the Kingdom of God" -- in effect, not only *an intentional deception*, but one intended to make the waiter feel guilty for expecting a tip at all. Wasn't there a line or two in the Good Book that says words to the effect of "Lying is bad"? I really have to wonder if that could be considered Counterfeiting, as well, under the law? After all, these "tips" are always presented in such a way as to make the recipient believe that they are the real deal...

On the flip side: I have heard tales, more than once, of pastors finding out that members of their flock have been pulling this trick. Invariably, they end up dedicating entire sermons to trying to end this practice
                            "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
                            "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

I've got a one-up on this bullshit.

The place I work for sells a section of their product line at local hobby-dedicated swap meets every month.

From what I overheard from Bosslady regarding the last such they attended, some crazy religious twat actually attempted to hand one of these religious-sermons-disguised-as-tender notes in exchange for product. And then, when it was refused, still attempted to walk off with an item as if it was actually his to walk off with.

From the snippets I caught, apparently they had to chase the guy to get their widget back, and he was ultimately thrown off the property by the organizers.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by EricKei View Post
                                Wasn't there a line or two in the Good Book that says words to the effect of "Lying is bad"?
                                If you're referring to the Ninth Commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.", that's not a blanket ban on lying, that's an admonition against the worst kind of lies - saying that someone did something that you know they didn't do (or saying that they didn't do something that you know they did).

I really have to wonder if that could be considered Counterfeiting, as well, under the law? After all, these "tips" are always presented in such a way as to make the recipient believe that they are the real deal...
                                If they ever attempt to pay a bill with them, it's definitely passing bad currency. If it's "just" tips, the law will probably shrug and move on, even though it's still screwing with someone's livelihood.

You know that they know what they're doing is wrong - that's why they do it on the sly and scoot out as quickly as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X