No announcement yet.

Pope Benedict to resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I understand, Pope Francis I was the runner up when Pope Benedict XVI was elected. Reporters keep mentioning how surprised he was at the election and I think it's showing. So far, he's been nothing like his predecessors. I'm really curious to see the changes he continues to make.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I doubt he would be. He comes from an area where Catholicism isn't in decline, where "the poor" are a wedge issue, and where outreach is a big player. About three hours ago the pope who doesn't even sign his name with that title, was washing the feet of inmates. And a few hours before that, he told the priests to stop hiding in their churches and collecting tithes and go out and actually help people essentially.

Politically astute perhaps, but its a welcome change from whatever it was Benedict thought he was doing. We all may hate him later, but he is certainly different.

Comment

"Nothing like his predecessors" has been good for me, so far.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          It makes sense that they'd pick one of their own unless there was a compelling reason not to.
          Let's face facts: the Cardinals are human beings like we are, and subject to politics just like we are. They know one another; picking someone they don't know is more difficult.

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
          I doubt he would be. He comes from an area where Catholicism isn't in decline, where "the poor" are a wedge issue, and where outreach is a big player. About three hours ago the pope who doesn't even sign his name with that title, was washing the feet of inmates. And a few hours before that, he told the priests to stop hiding in their churches and collecting tithes and go out and actually help people essentially.

Politically astute perhaps, but its a welcome change from whatever it was Benedict thought he was doing. We all may hate him later, but he is certainly different.
          Actually, Catholicism IS on the decline in Latin America. Secularism, evangelical Christianity, and even atheism are replacing it. Catholicism is growin in Africa and Asia, and losing everywhere else.

I like Pope Francis. I think he has great potential and is setting a great example. He seems to be moving on the sex scandal issues, and I hope he takes even a stronger stance as time goes on.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
          X