Practice what you preach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
    I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion, but saying my opinion is a statement of fact, is just being obtuse.
    No, what we have here is a misunderstanding.

Please stop using obtuse unless you're intentionally and repeatedly calling Andara an idiot. In fact, if the misunderstanding is due to your wording, then calling your post obtuse would actually be a correct usage of the word.

Also, a thesis and a hypothesis are different things. Provided you are making an argument and a reason for your argument, you are making a thesis statement.

Comment

Yes we do have a misunderstanding. It is an opinion, which is why I haven't and won't defend it as anything other than an opinion. I am not making an argument as I have not provided any facts. Insistence that it is anything other than an opinion, especially since I have repeatedly claimed as such IS obtuse by definition, especially since I reworded it to such and still, the understanding is not clear.

If the mods choose to tell me that my use of the word obtuse is a personal attack, they may tell me such. I believe it is completely appropriate as I am now still (despite having said it three times now) saying it is my opinion and not an argument. I am not writing a paper, nor presenting a theory or a scientific basis for explaining the original point of the OP's article.

As you are intentionally baiting me, this is the last I have to say on the subject. My opinion may stand and be criticized as it is, I have no problem with that. I just find it odd that you reduce the personal attacks I apologized for, to seemly only of the use of the word obtuse (and I am sincere in that apology, as I was wrong to say those things). But I guess that's your opinion.....
      Last edited by ebonyknight; 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM. Reason: removed entire post quote

Comment

Yes we do have a misunderstanding. It is an opinion, which is why I haven't and won't defend it as anything other than an opinion. I am not making an argument as I have not provided any facts. Insistence that it is anything other than an opinion, especially since I have repeatedly claimed as such IS obtuse by definition, especially since I reworded it to such and still, the understanding is not clear.
        I did not say that it is not clear now after being edited nor did I insist otherwise. I said the heart of this problem was a misunderstanding due to miscommunication.

If the mods choose to tell me that my use of the word obtuse is a personal attack, they may tell me such.
        Obtuse:

a : lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect : insensitive, stupid
        b : difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression

b doesn't apply here, though it could apply to your original post if indeed there was a miscommunication. I cannot say as you went back and edited it in an honestly somewhat obnoxious tone.

I believe it is completely appropriate as I am now still (despite having said it three times now) saying it is my opinion and not an argument.
        So you keep saying, but no one is arguing otherwise.

I am not writing a paper, nor presenting a theory or a scientific basis for explaining the original point of the OP's article.
        You presented an essay. It had a thesis. The word thesis is not purely academic.

As you are intentionally baiting me, this is the last I have to say on the subject.
        You are baiting yourself, frankly. Just because I responded to you does not mean I'm on Andara's "side" and we're all out to get you. This is the second time you have played the matyr and melodramatically bowed out.

If you cannot handle criticism, this may not be the right forum for you. -.-

Comment

I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion, but saying my opinion is a statement of fact, is just being obtuse.
          to be fair, you seemed to take issue at first at the comment that you were making a lot of assumptions in your first post, countering that with that it's just your opinion, then things boogied down from there.
          the thing is, when someone builds an opinion that seems to be based on assumptions, other people do have the right to challenge those assumptions. and while andara could have specified what about your post she found to be incorrect, you cannot simply shrug off an assumption by saying it's opinion.
          i mean, by that logic i could assume all people of (race) are (stereotype) because of some personal story, and no one should ever correct me because it's just my opinion.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

This thread made me think about the Big Bang Theory, so I started a thread about opinions in general here.

Comment

Working...
            X