No announcement yet.

Parents suing daughter's school for forcing daughter to take a pregnancy test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the funny thing. At my old high school, someone could get a pregnancy test. No-one notified the parents. No questions asked.

But in order to get BC pills or condoms, parents had to sign a permission form.

Think about that.
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

McD, I can understand why not BC pilss (imagine a school getting sued if it turns out your allergic or something...), perhaps also the condoms (some ppl do have issues with the latex..).

As for this story, I do wonder... why???? Why on earth the school actually gives a damn??? It's not their concern... certainly not in the time period where such a test might have some sort of meaning....
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
        McD, I can understand why not BC pilss (imagine a school getting sued if it turns out your allergic or something...), perhaps also the condoms (some ppl do have issues with the latex..).
        My sister's allergic to latex, and she's known it all her life. When she was little, she avoided plastic band-aids and party balloons because she knew they gave her a rash. When she became older and her reaction grew worse, she was formally tested, but she already knew the answer. If a student is old enough to be needing condoms, and has a severe enough allergy to be warranting attention, I cannot see how they would not know it. We come into contact with latex every day. Almost anything made of soft plastic has some amount of latex in it. So that's not really a strong reason to deny condoms, IMHO.

Comment

Oh, Sylvia, I'm not giving a reason to deny them, only perhaps for a form to be signed... they're still underage, and parents can sue if something goes wrong cos the school just hands something over cos the kids ask for them - that's all. So, if the parents sign the form, then they are giving permission (and, effectively, saying they won't sue).
          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
            Oh, Sylvia, I'm not giving a reason to deny them, only perhaps for a form to be signed... they're still underage, and parents can sue if something goes wrong cos the school just hands something over cos the kids ask for them - that's all. So, if the parents sign the form, then they are giving permission (and, effectively, saying they won't sue).
            Hee. I'm trying to imagine what could go wrong with a pee stick.
            I would put little Suzie into special ed. if she decided to eat it or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
              Hee. I'm trying to imagine what could go wrong with a pee stick.
              I would put little Suzie into special ed. if she decided to eat it or something.
              Good thing I wasn't drinking anything

And the main argument against "pee sticks" is that it could appear that the school is endorsing sexual behavior. Which I think is a little out of touch of teenaged reality -- kids are going to have sex. They're teenagers. That's their job, to experiment and figure out how life works. Life as in reality, not as in pregnancy. Oh, you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
              X