censorship/homophobia gone way too damn far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by protege View Post
    What pissed off most of us about that event...is that it was like *our* rights didn't matter! Why is it that one person is allowed to bully others simply because they have a loud voice? What ever happened to "equality?" I guess some are more "equal" than others.
    Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
    So it's against your rights to maintain separation of church and state? Please explain that one again.
    Maybe some slaves liked being slaves. That wouldn't stop slavery from being a grotesque abomination of human rights.
    If I had a child there, I would raise hell so to speak. I'm a born atheist and having religion shoved down our throats is stomping on our rights and is illegal.

Flyndaran, while I agree with you that protege is wrong in calling it a right to put up decorations, it most certainly is a privilege and one that I would argue isn't interfering with your rights. Having decorations up is not forcing religion upon you. My boss is a devout Muslim... he still puts up Christmas decorations and enjoys going downtown to see all the Christmas decorations. These decorations have absolutely no religious meaning to him, he just enjoys the beauty of the decorations. He can even enjoy the beauty of the Nativity scene. Those people, atheist, jewish, muslim, whatever the case may be who do not celebrate and see no beauty in the decorations can do the exact same thing they do with anything else they do not celebrate or see beauty in... ignore it.
    I will agree that it is wrong for the school to be putting up the decorations, tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on decorations... but I see nothing wrong with allowing students to put up their own decorations. I also wouldn't object to a group of Jewish students wishing to put up Hanukkah (sp?) decorations, or even pagan students wanting to put up Yule decorations. After all, our schools are supposed to be a place where a forum of discussions and ideas can take place, and like it or not, religion and religious holidays are something worthy of discussion. As long as it is the students discussion amongst each other (maybe with some guidance from the teachers) then I'd call that something extremely healthy... though I would join you in rightful outrage if a teacher started teaching about religious doctrine rather than allowing open discussion about it.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Most Christmas decorations have nothing to do with religion anyway.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        Most Christmas decorations have nothing to do with religion anyway.
        Well, nothing to do with the Christian holiday, anyways. *coughtreecoughcough*
        Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Ohh, lets play with the yule log.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
            Flyndaran, while I agree with you that protege is wrong in calling it a right to put up decorations, it most certainly is a privilege and one that I would argue isn't interfering with your rights.
            My bad. However, when you consider that the student body *did* vote on this...you could argue about the rights of the voters. Then there's the whole thing of all votes being equal, why was she allowed to change things when the outcome wasn't what she wanted? How is that equal again?

I will agree that it is wrong for the school to be putting up the decorations, tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on decorations... but I see nothing wrong with allowing students to put up their own decorations.
            Actually, tax dollars weren't 'wasted' in putting those up. Those items were actually donated

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Then there's the whole thing of all votes being equal, why was she allowed to change things when the outcome wasn't what she wanted? How is that equal again?
              the voters say that I should have no rights because I'm gay, 40 years ago the voters said a person should have no rights because they were black, 60 years ago the voters said that a woman should have no rights because she was a woman, even further back a man was told by the voters he should have no rights because he didn't own property. So while I agree with you that it was stupid to take down the decorations because one person objected, bringing in voter rights won't get you much sympathy from me.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
              X