No announcement yet.

Acceptable words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, when you think about it, using douchebag as an insult is declaring a tool for vaginal cleansing to be equivalent to the behaviour or personality you're insulting.

As in phrases like "I'd call her a bitch, but that's an insult to dogs."

Since there is no actual thing that is an asshat, go ahead and use it without fear of insult. Unintentional insult, that is.

Comment

A little bit off topic, but when I got my new phone, one of the default pictures on it was a donkey wearing a sombrero.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRoo View Post
        A little bit off topic, but when I got my new phone, one of the default pictures on it was a donkey wearing a sombrero.
        Roo, that's hilarious!
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Okay, so there are hats for asses.

Make it arsehat, and pronounce the r.

Comment

Maybe it't the Red Dwarf fan in me, but I quite like "git".

Comment

Originally posted by DexX View Post
              Maybe it't the Red Dwarf fan in me, but I quite like "git".
              Git is a great word. XD As is "smeg".
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I like to use British slang--bint, git, chit, bloody. Most twits can't pull their heads out of their arses far enough to see other cultures, so it works well. I also like saying random words in Japanese or German. Gives the wrong (right?) impression.

I've used bitch, cunt, twat, etc. in both positive and negative ways. *shrugs* I never have any trouble figuring out if it's empowerment or insult, and neither bothers me. I guess I'm special.

"Special", by the way, has also become an insult. I anticipate the day when it is as offensive as "idiot", detached from the former meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia727 View Post
                  I've used bitch, cunt, twat, etc. in both positive and negative ways. *shrugs* I never have any trouble figuring out if it's empowerment or insult, and neither bothers me. I guess I'm special.
                  I guess I must be special, too.

Seriously, though - human beings have the ability to figure out context and intent when speaking to someone. There are certain neurological conditions such as Aspergers that cause some people to have problems with this, but those conditions are fairly rare. Most communication is non-verbal, and most people understand it just fine.

But there are people who still say, "I don't see the difference between a white person using the N-word and a black person using the word." I think people who say this are lying. The differences in tone and intent is so vast that a child could understand.

You still may not like it, but to say that you don't even see a difference is glib and simplistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                    But there are people who still say, "I don't see the difference between a white person using the N-word and a black person using the word." I think people who say this are lying. The differences in tone and intent is so vast that a child could understand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VXrLnshM_ME

This link shows an interview with Bill Cosby about a variety of issues surrounding black youth today, but at 3:30 he makes the argument that when black rap artists use the n-word in a certain way, they are giving their audience permission to use that word as well. When white youth buy cds and hear that word, why shouldn't they use it?

Obviously a racist and a mall rat are using different tones and body language to give context, but does their skin color add context as well? Consensus seems to be yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X