Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridal shop refuses to sell dress to Lesbian woman, talks bad about gays

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...a_lesbian.html

Pretty disgusting. Not only does the shop owner stand by her decision to refuse to sell a wedding dress to a Lesbian, she compares gays to criminals and refers to them as "Those people".

Really, read the whole thing to get the full picture. It's seriously messed up.

What a fucking bigoted homophobic cunt.

And more bad words.

What an awful person.
    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

She only cares that the shop's name is being drug through the mud now, that's the only reason she's trying to smooth things over, and not even with the bride, but with the people who referred her to the shop and her family. Bitch!

Comment

This article over at Daily Kos includes a link to the actual voice mail message left for Alix.

Link to the file itself (mp3)

I haven't given it a listen, yet, so cannot comment on it's content.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm really glad she did this. More people like her should just let their assholism just hang out for all to see.

Because everyone's got instant, wide spreading communication now and will point out these insufferable assholes to the rest of us, thus making it easy for us to know who to avoid.

This shop will be closed inside of a year, and rightly so. Any of you betting folk?

I'm a great believer in letting assholes be assholes in as public a way as possible. That way, we can easily identify them.

Comment

That shop owner surely showed her ass...that homophobic bitch!
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

On the other hand, I have to still support the shop owners right to refuse service to who he wants. it is his property after all.

Comment

I think that's flirting with discrimination moreso than the right to the American dream of being able to pick and choose who you want in your store, actually.

Comment

She made a huge mistake in a word of mouth business. It won't be long before the major pro-gay media players get involved in this and the shop is kicked around in the dirt like a cat burying it's shit.
                  The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                    On the other hand, I have to still support the shop owners right to refuse service to who he wants.
                    New Jersey has strict anti-discrimination laws which protect LGBTs (among others), so it was actually illegal for the shopowner to refuse service to someone strictly for being a lesbian. Not to mention profoundly, profoundly stupid.

Comment

Really? I thought business owners were allowed to pick and choose. I remember it coming up when gay marriage was on the ballot in my state and it was a common question. "Will business owners be allowed to refuse to service gay weddings if they choose?" and the answer was that any business can refuse service to someone.

Comment

Depends on what kind of anti-discrimination laws the state has, I think. I do, of course, reserve the right to be wrong.

Comment

Review on Yelp
                          Help a friend!

Comment

While I don't agree with the decision the shop made I do think it is in their right to refuse business with someone if their name is going to be on something they don't agree with. While discriminatory it is also highly political.

BTW - if this is against the law then I think it is unconstitutional and hypocritical. They're discriminating aginst discriminating people.

The public also has the right to shop where they want to and support businesses that have agree with them politically. If you do not agree with this store's actions - don't shop there, there are plenty of bridal shops in NJ.

As for the Yelp reviews - They're all based on this which I think us unfair. They screwed over one customer - does that really mean that everyone has the right to give them a bad review even though they've never shopped there?

What if this was your business and you did business with someone from the KKK (knowingly or not) - does this mean everyone can come writing bad reviews about you, evenif they've never been there?

Comment

First, nobody is stopping the shop owner from being a homophobic bigot.

However, do you think that a store should be allowed to refuse service for someone because, say, they happen to be Asian? What about if they decide to refuse service because a person is female? If neither of those are valid, then why should sexual orientation be any different?

The fact is that the state has decided that matters which are not choices made by the person are not valid reasons to discriminate against them. It's a shame that it has to be codified into the law, but since we can't rely on people to be decent on their own, there must needs be punishments beyond what society is willing and/or able to mete out.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X