Woman buys wooden Ipad...I weep for common sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    Well, you just get so USED to things that you forget they're even there...

Knockoffs or not, I'd be far more worried the items were stolen. I don't want to get into that even if it is cheap.
    You got that right. I sure wouldn't wanna be the one to unknowningly buy "hot" stuff and end up getting in big trouble for it.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Well, you just get so USED to things that you forget they're even there...

Knockoffs or not, I'd be far more worried the items were stolen. I don't want to get into that even if it is cheap.
      Then you might as well avoid Ebay as well then. There is no way of knowing if the online store with the really good feedback that has the satin sheets at a third of the cost of Bed Bath and Beyond is selling legit merchandise.

Or the person who sells refurbished Kitchen-aide stand mixers at 30% below the cost of new got them honestly.

Or for that matter, how does one know that the iPad 1 that is on the market is really one that is being sold because the seller bought the iPad 2.

Besides, I shot at the markets where people can get a stall and sell their wares. The Rt. 13 Market in Laurel DE, the Farmer's and Flea Market in Charlotte Hall MD, and other places like that. Funny thing about them? They usually have a couple of police patrolling that area to make sure that people aren't selling knives to minors without a parent being there and to prevent some of the rabid shoppers from going bat-shit crazy around Christmas.

I'm sure that if something looked dodgy, they'd look into it.

The underlying point here is that it is the shopper who is responsible for making sure that they are handing over money for the item that they want and are reasonably expecting to purchase.

That holds true in a real store, a trusted online vendor or a flea market vendor.
      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Buying used stuff is a bit different, though; sure, it's *possible* a used item is stolen, but on the other hand there's a perfectly reasonable and obvious explanation for its being cheap legitimately. Whereas it's hard to believe someone could make a profit selling *new* items for less than Wal-Mart can without something funny going on.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Buying used stuff is a bit different, though; sure, it's *possible* a used item is stolen, but on the other hand there's a perfectly reasonable and obvious explanation for its being cheap legitimately. Whereas it's hard to believe someone could make a profit selling *new* items for less than Wal-Mart can without something funny going on.
          Ever been to a "Big Lots"? They are a reseller of closeout items.

They also are not the only people to be able to do this. They are just one of the larger businesses that do this.

What one can do is be able to buy closeout items. Say a crap ton of the iPod Nano 4g when the 5g's were released. Using the iPod Nano as an example, the cost of the two were the same from Apple. a 4g 16gb Nano was the same cost new as the 5g 16gb ones were.

For the same price, who would want to buy a 4g?

Apple does not do this but other companies do. They'll sell at at cost or a couple of percent higher just to get the damn things out of their warehouses and inventory to make room for the new. Anyone with a Tax ID Number indicating that they are a reseller of some sort can buy them, tack on a slight profit and sell them.

And these items do sell and they sell quickly.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

this wasn't intended to be about ebay, big lots or other such places, but the whole in a non sanctioned place such as a flea market. IE the parking lot, at NIGHT, in a fast food parking lot no less and THIS seems legit so to say? yeah

have nothing against knock offs that work well, but seriously...where did the woman in the article think this was a good deal?
            And even to those that have never stepped foot in a flea market or any other such place, really?
            and also this is more of a look how far we have fallen in the intelligence area....for those of us that don't use our brains that is
            Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
            Yeah we're so over, over
            Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
              and also this is more of a look how far we have fallen in the intelligence area....for those of us that don't use our brains that is
              The people who get stung by this type of shit never rose anywhere to fall in the first place. "Pin in a poke" and "caveat emptor" are not modern phrases that refer specifically to this sort of event.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i fail because i don't know of or know what those phrases mean and only having heard them so much i figured it refers to a dumb move or stupid person?

EDIT, thank you urban dictionary. yes the southern-ish phrase of pin/pig in a poke was more familiar
                Last edited by LexiaFira; 09-09-2011, 11:18 PM.
                Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                Yeah we're so over, over
                Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Working...
                X