Stop cpr now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    I was told to get off my phone when I called 911 for an elderly heat stroke collapse outside my work. 'Customers are waiting!'.
    I hope you told that person, "I'll get off the phone after the ambulance arrives!"

Grr. I hate stupid managers like that.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

And if someone goes postal in a call centre, ignor the gun shots and the bullet wounds and keep on dealing with customers?
      More than likely a customer would be the tipping point in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        If you ever have an employer who forces you to stay inside during a fire alarm, report them to the fire marshall. That's endangerment and is illegal.

Needless to say, I delighted in telling my Dad, the assistant fire chief, that our teacher had willfully endangered our lives. He, the fire chief, and the principal had a little chat with her.
        Something similar to this happened to me. I worked in a place in the early 1990's that was a small call-center environment, but we took up nearly an entire floor in a high rise building. When we were told that we wouldn't be 'allowed' participate in an upcoming planned fire drill, I sneaked out to a pay phone and called my dad, who was pretty high up in the city's fire prevention department.

Coincidentally, a memo went out two days later advising that there had been a 'misunderstanding' and that, as the safety of employees is paramount to the company (yeah right), we were now 'allowed' to participate.

I told a few trusted co-workers what happened, and we rejoiced at the small victory of 'sticking it to the man'.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
          I have no words for this at all.....that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Keep working drones no matter what! It's like the Borg or something.
          No, the borg will actually pick up and repair their wounded.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

This is the company I got laid off from. Not the one in Ohio, but the same company.

Given the determination with which they seem to promote drooling idiots to management positions and then hang onto them like Grim Death, it's no wonder they'd eventually end up with a manager this stupid.

Considering that the day I left, the high end executives were fighting like spoiled children over their "right" to park their cars in the fire lane (and over the handicap ramp. I swear I"m not making this up), I can't say I'm really all that surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
              I hope you told that person, "I'll get off the phone after the ambulance arrives!"

Grr. I hate stupid managers like that.
              I didn't bother responding to them, just kept talking to the dispatcher.

Comment

If a co-worker collapsed and I was busy rendering first aid/CPR, and my boss told me to stop what I was doing and get back to work, I would very kindly tell my boss exactly which oriffice he might want to insert his head into in order to keep it warm, and continue to help my co-worker.

NO JOB is worth someone's life, or having to look at myself in the mirror if I let someone suffer or die because I did nothing. Period.

Comment

Perhaps it would be more applicable to tell him from which orifice to remove his head; obviously it's already there.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Then on another occasion had us keep working despite industrial painters repainting the whole office around us. Leading to several people getting deathly ill and the supervisor on duty straight up walking out on him. >.>

Basically we were 3 feet away from people that had to wear full face gas masks to breath, whilst we got nothing.
                    I would have simply walked out. 3 day migraines aren't worth it.

I'm allergic to paint fumes and industrial glues. It can get so bad that I am curled up on the floor crying and puking. Not fun. And that is just from house-grade stuff.

In high school, my class got new tables. They were so new the paint was still tacky on the legs. In 10 minutes I was feeling woozy and dizzy. I went to the teacher and asked to sit outside. She said no as she wouldn't be able to see me. There were seats literally just outside the open window in plain view. So I sat down for 5 more minutes, then went back up to her desk. Opened my mouth to ask to sit outside again and all over her desk. I got to sit outside after that.

I can't imagine what I would be like with all those fumes. It would probably require a trip to the ER.

Comment

You wouldn't be the first person to have that problem.

That's why paint companies tell people not to paint in poorly ventilated areas.
                      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ginger View Post
                        I'm allergic to paint fumes and industrial glues. It can get so bad that I am curled up on the floor crying and puking. Not fun. And that is just from house-grade stuff.
                        Heya Ginger - Just a quick tip for you if you ever have to change the wall color of your domicile

Quite a few well-known paint companies are making low-VOC and zero-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paint... they have virtually no odor. We used these when painting the staff bathrooms and break room at our work (at my suggestion as a member of the H&S Committee) because two of our staff have severe allergies to... well, pretty much anything with a smell.

We did warn them to try to avoid the areas if at all possible just in case, but they seemed to be fine for the duration, and I have to admit that it didn't bother me either. (I'm not allergic, the smell just turns my stomach.)

Just sayin!

Comment

VComps, you should pass that message along to my store, cause when they did their annual repainting here, it was all I could do to walk through our employees only areas. Yikes.

Comment

Corporate tells us that unless we are First Aid/CPR certified, we are NOT to provide any sort of aid at all. I'm certified now, but I wasn't at the time I was hired. I had been in the past, and I knew how to provide aid.

I decided a long time ago that if push came to shove, f**k corporate policy. I would rather be fired and living off of Ramen noodles than live with the guilt that I could have helped but didn't.

Personally, I wish more employers would sponsor first aid training of some sort. It's a good skill to have just in general. If you get your employees certified, that should help limit your liability in an emergency situation as well.

Also as an aside, I was taught many times that (at least here) once you start CPR it is illegal to stop unless (1) the patient revives, (2) someone else comes along who can relieve you, or (3) you become so exhausted you physically cannot continue.
                            Last edited by bhskittykatt; 11-17-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X