Pregnant woman arrested for eating sandwich @ store, not paying for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    I have an account at the bank. Therefore, I am paying the teller to deal with all of that for me. It's really that simple.
    No. That's simply wrong. You are paying the bank. The bank is paying the teller. You can't fire the teller; only complain to the bank.

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    Except that I view the teller as the servant.
    I could view the money in your pocket as mine, but that doesn't make it any more true or accurate.

The teller might be a servant, but she is not your servant. She doesn't have to keep you happy, except in as much as keeping you happy keeps the bank happy.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• A final, random aside question about this -

A store manager and a security guard - both NOT real cops...do they have any real legal right to keep you at their store? What would've happened if, while the manager was wanting this chat in his office, the couple just said "Here's your money now fuck off we're leaving."

Comment

• You don't have to be a cop to detain someone.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
          A store manager and a security guard - both NOT real cops...do they have any real legal right to keep you at their store? What would've happened if, while the manager was wanting this chat in his office, the couple just said "Here's your money now fuck off we're leaving."
          Yes, actually, they do have a legal right to detain you. At least as far as shoplifting is concerned. However, they may only detain you until you can be given over to a real cop. Whether or not they can use force if you refuse and/or how much force they can use appears to vary from State to State.

Still, from a legal perspective you're just asking for it if you attempted to just leave -.-

Comment

• I'm wondering if this situation would have ended differently if the item in question wasn't a sandwich. I understand that the store has a policy that all shoplifters be charged and they won't allow someone to pay for an item after-the-fact. However, in this instance the woman had already eaten the sandwich, so there was no way to give it back to the store. If she had allegedly shoplifted something inedible, like a keychain or something else small, I'm curious as to whether the store would have taken the item back and simply banned her.

I guess it depends on the manager/supervisor in charge when the alleged shoplifting occurs.

Comment

Working...
            X