No announcement yet.

Vaccines Forced on Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine that any sort of vaccinations should have to be approved by a parent first. The no medical treatment waiver is most likely for accidents like falling down the stairs. (at least from what I can remember in school). From what the mother said about a skinned knee or a headache Im assuming that it is the same here.

Definitely more to this story than is being told.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      If the school didn't give her shots, why all the mystery instead of just saying, "Um, no we didn't. We have no idea what you are talking about."
      It appears that they aren't saying *anything* on the subject, at least for the time being. Which makes sense if either they are investigating to find out what exactly did happen or they have a policy of not discussing personal student information with outsiders. Both of which are likely.

Pardon the deliberate vagueness, but it's one of those things I'm not sure I'm supposed to know what I do... there was an incident in Georgia where a member of a student's family went to a TV station with an absurdly exaggerated tale. Another explained what really had happened, which wasn't even rationally anything to complain of, but because former made a nice, shocking "teachers abuse students" story and the truth didn't, they ignored the latter entirely in reporting the story. And, for privacy reasons, the school couldn't say anything about it.

It's not at all uncommon, and I'm sure there have been examples of the same sort of thing on here before. Run to the media with all the hysteria you can muster, because the school (or hospital, or whatever) cannot tell their side.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

As was said in the article and Andara touched on, it's not the school in the wrong here

The staff at the clinic must maintain confidentiality with the students and the parents of the students. Detroit Public Schools staff members are not informed of any services that are provided for any students, and this policy is regularly communicated by the clinic staff to the school staff. All paperwork or parent permission slips are provided to students who are instructed by the clinic to return it directly to the nurse.
        The nurse and St. Johns are the ones who stuffed up.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          The nurse and St. Johns are the ones who stuffed up.
          It makes me wonder if there was a communication breakdown.

Comment

It doesn't matter who actually gave the vaccines. The school is responsible for the students while they are there. Someone who works for the school call the girl to the nurses office. The school administration has a responsibility to control things like this.

Comment

As was said in the article and Andara touched on, it's not the school in the wrong here
              Sure it is. Kid isn't supposed to get medical treatment without her mom's permission. While at school, she is under the responsibility of the school's and whatever happens there falls on them.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Glados View Post
                It doesn't matter who actually gave the vaccines. The school is responsible for the students while they are there. Someone who works for the school call the girl to the nurses office. The school administration has a responsibility to control things like this.
                Sure it is. Kid isn't supposed to get medical treatment without her mom's permission. While at school, she is under the responsibility of the school's and whatever happens there falls on them.
                Ok, shall we go over this again?

From the article

Detroit Public Schools staff members are not informed of any services that are provided for any students, and this policy is regularly communicated by the clinic staff to the school staff. All paperwork or parent permission slips are provided to students who are instructed by the clinic to return it directly to the nurse.
                The school is told by the nurse to call a student, they have no idea what it's for or why because of confidentiality, nor do they have the paperwork on file.

Comment

The school is told by the nurse to call a student, they have no idea what it's for or why because of confidentiality, nor do they have the paperwork on file.
                  Sounds pretty broken to me.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Yes and no, patient confidentiality trumps a fair number of things, in most cases it's a good thing.

Comment

Yes and no, patient confidentiality trumps a fair number of things, in most cases it's a good thing.
                      I was under the impression that HIPPA mainly applies to adults.

Comment

Not at all. They're no more allowed to divulge a minor's condition to random people than an adult's. In the case of a minor, I suspect that any legal guardians would be privy to the information, but not anyone else.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nope HIPPA applies to everyone regardless of age. Being a minor doesn't exempt you from the same legal protections that everyone else enjoys.

Being a minor just means that your parents have a certain level of access most other people wouldn't have.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Working...
                          X