No announcement yet.

Sophomore kicked out of honors class for cheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I see is the "my son is a good boy and didn't cheat or do anything bad!!!1!!" message from Daddy Dearest. Copying somebody else's paper IS cheating and the student did that plain and simple and ought to be punished for it. I don't believe Daddy Dearest has much ground on suing because of the pledge. The pledge CLEARLY stated that any incidents of cheating will result in punishment, which the mother and student both signed, which indicates that they understood and agree to abide by those terms.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      In my school AP classes were the honors classes. I don't know what other kind of class would be honors classes.
      We had four levels of classes. Basic skills was for kid with learning problems. Advanced Prep was for the most hardcore kids and it was basically college classes where you took the AP tests at the end of the semester. College Prep classes were the general classes, where most kids fell. Honors classes were for students who took school seriously and wanted advanced classes. I took mostly honors classes and an AP class so I didn't have to deal with the scumbags who were too dumb for honors.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
        Cymberleah - why would you care if an engineer cheated on chemistry??? I don't see the direct relevance there...
        I work in a field related to manufacturing. Unless you're building things made of just steel, you need to know about how materials react to each other (like aluminum + stainless steel = almost instant galling, for example), how they age in certain types of weather, things of that nature. If your engineer doesn't know how to work with substances throughout their life spans then he's going to be making things that are much more prone to catastrophic failures.

While the fields of engineering and chemistry are not entirely synonymous, an engineer lacking a basic grasp of reactions and compositions of materials is one who is willing to gamble that what he makes is safe. And that leads to collapsing bridges (or hotels, or...) when the bolts break through, due to using fasteners and girders that don't play well together.

I'm not saying you need to be a chemist to be an engineer, but you really ought to know a little about chemistry. That way, when the time comes you know when to ask a question instead of not even knowing that the question exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Cymberleah View Post
          I work in a field related to manufacturing. Unless you're building things made of just steel, you need to know about how materials react to each other (like aluminum + stainless steel = almost instant galling, for example), how they age in certain types of weather, things of that nature. If your engineer doesn't know how to work with substances throughout their life spans then he's going to be making things that are much more prone to catastrophic failures.

While the fields of engineering and chemistry are not entirely synonymous, an engineer lacking a basic grasp of reactions and compositions of materials is one who is willing to gamble that what he makes is safe. And that leads to collapsing bridges (or hotels, or...) when the bolts break through, due to using fasteners and girders that don't play well together.

I'm not saying you need to be a chemist to be an engineer, but you really ought to know a little about chemistry. That way, when the time comes you know when to ask a question instead of not even knowing that the question exists.
          Hmmm.... well, I've studied chemistry (but not engineering), and frankly, not a hell of a lot there that would immediately be obviously connected in the job of civil engineering. If it was chemistry for Engineers, then yeah, I'd get it. (which, I think back home, they call it 'Materials Science'). Engineers don't do a hell of a lot of study on chemistry (FTR, I just checked my uni's Civil Engineering curriculum, which confirmed my thoughts... electives only! And, basic only )

Now, an engineer who had to cheat on physics modules, I'd be more concerned about!!!
          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Working...
          X