Too many olympic sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    What I want them to cut out are all the useless sob stories about the athletes and how hard they worked and their parents' sacrifice and the sister with bone cancer and blah blah blah. Look, I want to watch the most talented athletes in the world do what they do best. This isn't a play. I don't need any exposition.
    While people like me refuse to watch the Olympics because they are boring but will watch a lot of Cool Runnings.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      While people like me refuse to watch the Olympics because they are boring but will watch a lot of Cool Runnings.
      Hey Sanka. Ya dead man?

Comment

I'm all for including more sports into the Olympics and cutting out all of the feel good stories unless they are truly remarkable stories. Like an athlete getting into a horrible car accident after qualifying and hoping he can still compete.

It irritates the hell out of me that they choose to not show other events where our countrymen are competing just so they can try and win a damn Emmy for making enough people cry.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Sports in general need to cut out a lot of the useless blather. The Olympics dont happen too often, so no need to go into details. Get with the competition already.

And Im all about more sports being introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            It irritates the hell out of me that they choose to not show other events where our countrymen are competing just so they can try and win a damn Emmy for making enough people cry.
            This. So much this.

I, honestly, don't give a rat's ass about any of the athletes off the field, and if I did, I'd go look them up. I just care to see the competition. All of the competition, not just the "oh, look, we had people who have a chance of winning in this event" part of the competition. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
              I've noticed that with some old broadcasts of the gymnastics on Youtube: I DON'T need to hear the sob stories, just show the damn event. Australia's broadcasters are generally pretty good with coverage: there might be the occasional sob story mentioned, but it's PART of the commentary and not a whole separate event (meaning that I can mute the commentary). For example, they might start talking about so-and-so on the uneven bars and while she's chalking up, they might briefly mention that she was recovering from a shoulder injury or similar and how that'll affect her. THEN they'll get into the commentary.

Originally posted by bara View Post
              Sports in general need to cut out a lot of the useless blather. The Olympics dont happen too often, so no need to go into details. Get with the competition already.
              Some of it does make sense as you may need to explain new rules/decisions made that didn't occur in the previous Olympics, or rules full stop if it's a new event. Sometimes having a look at the course they're covering if it's a street race of some description is relevant.

SOME of the blather is relevant but the rest can be cut.

Comment

I don't think too many sports is a problem. But the summer Olympics definately has some sports that are basically dull as shit that are only kept around because they were originals so to speak. Things like shot put. Which if you must keep it around because its tradition, then do it tradionally: Strip those boys ass naked and lather them in olive oil.

I mean, this is the XXX Olympics and the London Olympic Commitee was nice enough to give the world a giant penis as the mascot and the logo looks like an abstract painting of a blowjob. So may as well go the whole 9 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  I don't think too many sports is a problem. But the summer Olympics definately has some sports that are basically dull as shit that are only kept around because they were originals so to speak. Things like shot put. Which if you must keep it around because its tradition, then do it tradionally: Strip those boys ass naked and lather them in olive oil.
                  The field events aren't so much to do with tradition, but more because there is actually a skill to them somewhat. Also athletics has actually INCREASED since the first Olympics-originally 12 events, now there's 47.

The original Olympic games had: athletics, gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, swmming, tennis, shooting, cycling and fencing. I can understand cutting tennis, fencing and possibly shooting, but the rest at least make sense to be kept on.

I mean, this is the XXX Olympics and the London Olympic Commitee was nice enough to give the world a giant penis as the mascot and the logo looks like an abstract painting of a blowjob. So may as well go the whole 9 yards.
                  The logo was meant to be "reaching out to young people". And from what I have seen, they all agree with your sentiment that the logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving a blowjob.

As for the mascots, I'm not sure about the resemblance to a penis, but from what I DO know, some of the suggestions about THAT included that it was a "drunken one-night stand between a teletubby and a dalek" or Kang and Kodos, but unlike the logo, it's actually been enjoyed.

And the Sochi mascots don't look much better....why do all the Winter Olympic mascots have to be cute fuzzy animals?

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                    The original Olympic games had: athletics, gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, swmming, tennis, shooting, cycling and fencing. I can understand cutting tennis, fencing and possibly shooting, but the rest at least make sense to be kept on.
                    I meant WAY back. The original original Olympics. Hence the naked olive oil basting. All naked events. Basted in olive oil. The Greeks knew how to party. ;p

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                    And the Sochi mascots don't look much better....why do all the Winter Olympic mascots have to be cute fuzzy animals?
                    Merchandise. Our Olympic mascots here in Vancouver were HUGE sellers when it came to the plushies.

Comment

I meant WAY back. The original original Olympics. Hence the naked olive oil basting. All naked events. Basted in olive oil. The Greeks knew how to party. ;p
                      Memory tells of a Greek wrestler who won despite being dead. His opponent had inadvertently strangled the guy, but wihtout realising this he surrendered.

That's hardcore.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I mean, this is the XXX Olympics and the London Olympic Commitee was nice enough to give the world a giant penis as the mascot and the logo looks like an abstract painting of a blowjob.
                        ...and they say kids don't have any imagination anymore!

Comment

Working...
                        X