X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olympics

yes its finished

yet one thought keeps returning to my mind:

why is there a need to differentiate? all the sporting activities should have been held and shown under the title of the OLYMPICS why is there this segregation?

I assume you're referring to the paralympics?

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Maybe the separation of men's and women's events?

Separation of summer and winter sports, especially since the next "winter" Olympics will be held in the summer?

Distinguishing between different categories of sport, such as gymnastics, track, etc?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Separation of summer and winter sports, especially since the next "winter" Olympics will be held in the summer?
        What? The next Winter Olympics is supposed to be held in February in the northern hemisphere. How is that summer?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Next Winter Olympics are in Russia. However, the next Summer Olympics will be in Rio de Janeiro, where it will technically be winter.

Comment

I think the "summer" olympics are actually just Olympics.

The Winter ones are the ones with the specification.

And you can´t have winter Olympics in the coldest day of Rio de Janeiro.
            Last edited by SkullKing; 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cath View Post
              why is there a need to differentiate? all the sporting activities should have been held and shown under the title of the OLYMPICS why is there this segregation?
              Not sure what you mean?
              As asked Olympics and Paralimics?
              Some of those springie legs like mgihty fast and even if they are not as fast as they could be on two legs or faster, thats giving someone an unfair advantage.
              Judo vs blind Judo, yeah like that's gonna be fair.

So without any further clarification lets vague it up a little more
              Next up on the Olympics is the Olympics followed by the Olympics.
              Team GB has won gold in the Olympics, the Olympics and the Olympics today.
              There the 100 metre mens hurdles is now called the Olympics just as the womens Hocky.

Although I will thread jack slightly and say isn't it funny how boys didn't play hocky netball or rounders at school (least in my day) yet the american counterparts are Male only/dominated sports.

Comment

Sorry, I'd got it backwards. Still no idea what the OP means, though.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Separating the Olympics and Paralympics feels wrong to me. I don't mind the sports being separated, but I'm not sure if there's a real need to keep them as separate big events overall.

Comment

Might be a logistical nightmare and lengthen the entire process, but maybe have the paralympics mixed in with the regular ones?

Rapscallion
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                      Might be a logistical nightmare and lengthen the entire process, but maybe have the paralympics mixed in with the regular ones?

Rapscallion
                      I do believe that the Commonwealth Games does this. They run events for Elite Athletes with a Disability. The events are in the athletics and swimming primarily from memory, but there's something like 4-5 "para" sports in the Commonwealth games.

Comment

I thought the Paralimpics were running at the same time, paid little to no attention to it, David Tennant wasn't lighting the flame so whats to watch?

Again with division, do we need to keep genders seperate in events like sprinting and swimming?
                        Are the time differences between events that large that no woman could beat whomever one the mens gold in any given speed event (again never bothered watching it just know someone was called bolt), this way we are not looking for the fastest man or woman but the fastest athlete.

But if by phisiology, there is an inherent unfair advantage/dissadvantage due to gender then keep them seperate, something that relies on skill like archery, I see no reason to not mix them except you reduce the chances of taking home a medal if both your top athletes are competing for the same medal.

Comment

Paralympics is the two weeks after the main event.

Rapscallion
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                            Again with division, do we need to keep genders seperate in events like sprinting and swimming?
                            Yes.

Just glancing at Wikipedia shows that the current records between the two for the 100 Meter Sprint shows a difference of nearly a full second between men and women. It's interesting to note that this difference is carried through to the youth runners, with almost the exact same gap between boys and girls for the same event.

Of course, as science becomes more advanced, it becomes more and more apparent that what sex a person is, is not nearly as black and white as most people think it to be. How we deal with that in the future will be interesting.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hmm, checking on Wiki, it looks like the Paralympics are growing fast too, so it probably is a logistics issue.

The main Olympics already has 10k+ athletes involved. The Paralympics are 4k+ this year. While it would be nice to have the competition with both running in the same overall event, tossing another 4k athletes (most with different needs from the regular athletes) into the already crowded stadium would be a big challenge. I'm sure there'd be a lot of politicing involved as well too.

I suspect they'll continue to be separate events (Olympics vs Paralympics) until cybernetics and bionics advances enough to make them both obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                              X