No announcement yet.

olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Paralympics haven't started yet. They're getting the same amount of attention from the British media, the BBC, the apps and such; if the viewing figures are less, it's the people at home to blame, not them.

Mixing the Paralympics and the Olympics is a rubbish idea. Mixing the events alone will make it a solid month of sport - viewing figures will drop as people become bored and the athletes will want a rest. Mixing with the sports - no. It'd probably be annoying and silly to both the able-bodied and the disabled participants - they will know at a glance that one will have a massive advantage over the other and/or the changes needed for accomodation will make the sport unfair/unworkable. No amount of political correctness will get past that fact.

That's not to say that a disabled individual can get into the Olympics if they pass the same qualifying level as everyone else - just look at Superlegs-I mean Oscar Pistorius. (I love him muchly ever since I included him in a presentation at Uni. ^^) He got in! He didn't do too well bit he did it

As for mixing the Summer and Winter Olympics, all that ice would melt :P and can you imagine the size of the chunk of land needed to build all those differing arenas?

As for mixing the genders, they do in a couple of things already like mixed doubles. Again, no amount of political correctness will change the fact that men and women have a great deal of physical sexual dimorphism; the arrangement of the musculature, the shape of the skeleton, the rates of organ processes... So the sports should remain split, if only for the concept that after the genders are mixed in everything men will keep running well, etc, and most likely no women will get anywhere near the records or the medals and then the angry pseudo-feminist arseholes will be raging for the men to slow down to give the others a chance... I don't want to have to see that kind of political bullshit in the Olympics.

I really loved watching the Olympics. So much cheering and oohing over the good bits. Sometimes not even for the UK - I think we were cheering for Gabby Douglas in the all-around and for Dibaba in the women's 15k or something, and I so wanted Spain to win the synchro after their fish dance. And THE FLYING DUTCHMAN FTW *drools* Paralympics? Can't wait. YAY GIVE ME THAT WHEELCHAIR RUGBY 8D

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Yes.
      But isn't that falling under your sexist thread you have elsewhere on the board?

Comment

As my quoted post was a question from a non viewer of sports, I was asking if it was physically equal to merge the two genders into just 100m races etc, If I knew that women on average in this years and others previously, fared worse in times then short of weighting the male runners down (ala Harrison) then no, equality be damned as removing the gender lables ends up adding a gender divide and makes the sport uneven.
        I would rather have seperate gender events for those that cannot pysically match the other than go all "everyone is equal may the fastes person win."

The thread in question is about the fine line and this is a fine line, mixed sports with an unfair advantage or split with no crossover what so ever.

Any sports where skill not physique rules should experiment with mixed teams or mixed solo's
        Rifle range, skeet archery spring to mind, are they split by gender or is it open, having a dick a good aim does not make.
        These events are not based on running or swimming faster than another (obviously) so I don't see why they should be split by sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
          Any sports where skill not physique rules should experiment with mixed teams or mixed solo's
          Rifle range, skeet archery spring to mind, are they split by gender or is it open, having a dick a good aim does not make.
          These events are not based on running or swimming faster than another (obviously) so I don't see why they should be split by sex.
          Men's teams and women's teams still.

Comment

As stated or atleast implied in another of my posts, the only reason for split sex teams that could be merged is so that countries have a better chance at bringing home a medal, so in this respect, even with a level playing field people involved would want to have more of the same event not a larger single event fighting over 3 medals instead of 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
              As stated or atleast implied in another of my posts, the only reason for split sex teams that could be merged is so that countries have a better chance at bringing home a medal, so in this respect, even with a level playing field people involved would want to have more of the same event not a larger single event fighting over 3 medals instead of 6.
              Sorry I thought you had been asking if they were separated by sex or if there were mixed teams.

Comment

I was as I dont watch any sport, I don't see a reason to split skeet shooters by 'junk', but going for one gold with two peeps or two gold, it's the maths involved.

But compared to running swimming etc, it is a sport that should know no gender, but those that want the most gold will want the most divisions to get the optimum chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                  But isn't that falling under your sexist thread you have elsewhere on the board?
                  No. They bear no relation.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    No. They bear no relation.

^-.-^
                    How? They are separated because it is said that one sex is better then the other sex and by your other thread you said that, that line of thinking is sexist.

Comment

It would only be relevant if the races were mixed but women got a head start or the men had weights to make it "fair".

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                        How? They are separated because it is said that one sex is better then the other sex and by your other thread you said that, that line of thinking is sexist.
                        No, they aren't.

It isn't "said" that one sex is better at acts of physical prowess; it is a provable fact.

What I said in my thread is about arbitrary differences in treatment based solely on whether or not the recipient had a penis.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

But thats exactly what is happening.

Comment

No. It's not.

If you can't grasp how it's different, then you need far more information than I have the time or inclination to provide.

I would suggest starting with a primer on basic anatomy.

^-.-^

Comment

Take the chip off your shoulder Andara.

Comment

No chip.

I literally cannot figure out how to dumb down the idea of purely psychological separation from separation based on measurable physiological differences any more than I've already done.

Either you don't get it and need more education than I'm willing or able to provide, or you do get it and you're just arguing for the sake of something to argue about.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                                X