No announcement yet.

Black People and Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never should have said anything. But around here, at least, "y'all" is NEVER used as a singular except when someone is making fun of people who use it legitimately. "All y'all" would indicate either that you're addressing a large group or that you want to emphasize that you mean everyone you're talking to, just as anyone might say "all of you..."

Perhaps as the waiter is representing n organization, y'all is appropriate because they're not asking how much the WAITER'S ea is, but the restaurants.
    That would work if the question were "how much do y'all charge for..." The example given was, instead, "Can y'all tell me...."

ANYWAY.... as for only noticing when things go as you expect, the exact opposite happens too: people notice what stands out as unusual or unexpected. It's just that the unexpected is recognized as a singular event, even if it turns out to happen often, while the expected is seen as confirming what "always" occurs.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
    X