No announcement yet.

"Rich" kid kills 4, gets probation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that sentence ridiculously high, but as someone pointed out - here, you have intent to harm. There is a difference.
    I was shocked that hadn't been mentioned yet because that's a big thing in the court system. It's why so often we hear about felonious assault and why murder can be as prevalent as it seems sometimes. People aren't setting out to hurt people but the crimes they absolutely intend on committing go wrong.

Kudos for looking that up. I really didn't have the patience for it but it does somewhat confirm my working theory that yes, this is a common outcome. This one was sensationalized however because of what the psychologist tried to claim in court. People do not like rich, drunk kids killing other people. People to this day after his death think Ted Kennedy was always a horrible person because he was in a similar circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
      People aren't setting out to hurt people but the crimes they absolutely intend on committing go wrong.
      I've mentioned about my grandmother's auto accident here before. She was on her way to a relative's house, when she was rear-ended by some asshole in a gravel truck. Her car got pushed into the path of a logging truck coming the other way Both my grandmother and cousin were left with serious injuries, and had to be flown to the hospital. As if that wasn't enough, the gravel truck then rammed a PennDOT pickup truck, knocking it on its side.

I really don't think the asshole driving the gravel truck set out to hurt anyone. Grandma just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, in the end, after seeing her injuries, watching her go through rehab, my cousin's extensive facial surgery (he got seriously cut with flying glass--the passenger-side windows blew out), plus examining what was left of her car, I can understand the rage that one feels after such an accident. Throw in what we found out later--the gravel truck had no brakes, the driver really shouldn't have been licensed (the way he drove, it was only a matter of time before he either hurt or killed someone), and that got us to see red.

Instead of simply accepting that he nearly killed 2 people, he tried every way he could think of to make it go away. He showed up at the hospital (my aunt told him to GTFO), attempted to dispose of any and all assets (he got caught when things were frozen), going so far as to try and intimidate her via telephone--remember this was in 1994, when not everyone had Caller ID. He was never rude on the phone. In fact, he didn't say a thing--but he did breathe very heavily. Had he not done that shit and actually shown some remorse, my family *might* have forgiven him. Instead, we wanted his head, so we bankrupted the bastard.

To this day, I have no idea what the hell was going through his mind during and immediately after the accident.

People do not like rich, drunk kids killing other people. People to this day after his death think Ted Kennedy was always a horrible person because he was in a similar circumstance.
      Unfortunately, one could say that the US has two sets of laws. One for the rich folks, and one for the rest of us. Had the perp been poor (of any race), he'd be sitting in a cell right now. Instead, he gets probation and rehab. That's why people are pissed. They see it as yet another rich kid not being held to the same laws as the rest of us--especially when you consider that his defense basically paid off a witness to come up with a bullshit defense.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
        Unfortunately, one could say that the US has two sets of laws. One for the rich folks, and one for the rest of us. Had the perp been poor (of any race), he'd be sitting in a cell right now. Instead, he gets probation and rehab. That's why people are pissed. They see it as yet another rich kid not being held to the same laws as the rest of us--especially when you consider that his defense basically paid off a witness to come up with a bullshit defense.
        I'm not denying that there is a bias (i simply don't know), but on some levels there actually is some sense to treating rich people different from the less wealthy.

Look at the case at hand: The family has the ressources to send their son to an expensive, and therefore probably effective treatment facility. Which means there might be a larger likelyhood that the kid will get better and learns his lesson - unlike a kid from a poor family. Additionally, due to the family's ressources, even with a criminal record he's unlikely to have to resort to illegal activities to get by later in life. Unlike a kid from a poor family with a criminal record.

Of course a better way to handle this disparity might not be harsher sentences for poor people, but rather more government support for them. You can fund a lot of rehab and re-integration measures for the ~$20.000 price tag that each year of prison sentence carries has for the state. But i can guess that this would be unpopular, because it's spending money on criminals instead of spending money on prison guards.
        Last edited by Kelmon; 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

actually, by the sounds of it, the rehab facility is closer to a holiday. ( it has activities such as horseriding, martial arts classes and cooking classes.) there is NOTHING is there, as far as I can tell, that is about getting the kid to quit drinking & start behaving properly. It makes me suspect it's more to do with shuffling the kid out of the way until the fuss dies down. If he was put through a PROPER rehab program, aimed at teaching the kid to actually care about the consequences of his actions, and get him to drink less, the there would be less of an issue. Pepe are angry as it looks like the kid more or less got off scot-free, whereas if the kid didn't have rich parents, he would be behind bars. It is the inequality that angers people.

Comment

Do you actually know that the rehab facility is like that? Just because it's a nice place with fun activities doesn't mean they don't do what they're supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
              actually, by the sounds of it, the rehab facility is closer to a holiday. ( it has activities such as horseriding, martial arts classes and cooking classes.) there is NOTHING is there, as far as I can tell, that is about getting the kid to quit drinking & start behaving properly. It makes me suspect it's more to do with shuffling the kid out of the way until the fuss dies down. If he was put through a PROPER rehab program, aimed at teaching the kid to actually care about the consequences of his actions, and get him to drink less, the there would be less of an issue. Pepe are angry as it looks like the kid more or less got off scot-free, whereas if the kid didn't have rich parents, he would be behind bars. It is the inequality that angers people.
              By giving them stuff to do, it keeps people from getting bored. Boredom leads to relapse. Just because they advertise the fun stuff doesn't mean it includes the boring therapy.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

As far as relatively shorter sentences go, it seems to me the serial killer problem would take care if itself. A serial killer has, by definition, committed multiple murders. Even at "only" 15 years, you quickly reach the expected remaining lifespan.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
                  How is that germane to this case?
                  I never said anything about the lawyers. The lawyers on both sides presented fair cases and did what they had to do in the interest of the people and their clients. What I said, was in response to a comment.

This is not a common drunk driving case. This kid killed 4 people outright and injured 7 more, causing one to become a vegetable. Furthermore, the kid has shown NO remorse for what he did, and believed that his wealth would get him out of the jam.

Granted we don't know the background of the kid that killed someone with a punch, but Couch has had an alcohol related run in before. He stole the beer he got drunk on, committed grand theft auto, to steal a ride to get MORE and crashed into those people with THREE time the legal limit of alcohol, in his system. I now here that people in the car pleaded with him to slow down. Yes, people with money can hire better lawyers than the prosecution, but the Judge (who represents the law) is supposed to be above the fray and to treat people fairly and blindly. I just don't think she did in this case. If it was fair in this case, then the other case was treated a little harsh.

11 people killed or injured, is not a typical drunk driving case. As I said before, with drunk driving and other limited crimes, it doesn't matter whether you had intent or not. Legally you can be held responsible. In a typical drunk driving case, particularly in young defendants, remorse is usually expressed. Almost a dozen people killed and injured and there is no remorse on his part.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 12-15-2013, 03:14 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelmon View Post
                    Do you actually know that the rehab facility is like that? Just because it's a nice place with fun activities doesn't mean they don't do what they're supposed to.
                    I was going to let you see the website of the place, but for some reason, the name of the place isn't mentioned in searches. I heard the name of the place on a news show and they showed pictures of the facility. I really wish I could get a year there. The place is better than any vacation I have been on. He gets professionally cooked meals, cooking classes, one on one nutritional counseling and he gets assigned his own horse for the stay.

Fortunately, the was what was proposed by the defense. I have a feeling that the Judge (especially because of the outrage), won't approve Ethan to go there and will find something more "appropriate".

I guess we will have to see, but I have a feeling the fervor will die down before that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      By giving them stuff to do, it keeps people from getting bored. Boredom leads to relapse. Just because they advertise the fun stuff doesn't mean it includes the boring therapy.
                      It does have the treatment side of things, that's not the problem. The problem is the place is a 6 acre farking luxury resort. Its nicer than any place I've ever stated or vacationed in. You've got horse riding ( You're literally assigned your own personal horse ), yoga, martial arts, meditation, an all organic menu ( Personalized to you ) by a certified organic chef, its own gym, a disgustingly beautiful resort "campus", you name it. His "dorm" even has its own private pool.

Here's his "dorm" if you want to take a look.

Additionally, people don't usually stay at this place for a year. Its normally 45-90 days. They've never treated anyone for longer than that before according to an interview with their spokesmen. They don't sound particularly thrilled that this kid is being handed to them either to be honest.

Basically, he should have been sent to this place before, not after he killed people. Because that's what it sounds like the place is for. Heading off disaster, not mopping up after it. This is a place where you get hugs at a bench around a fountain in a beautiful villa ( Fountain villa hugs feature in a lot of their promo vids -.- ). I'd be interested to see if he can even integrate into the place. Yes, he'll be surrounded by other troubled teens. But he'll be the only one with a body count. This could backfire horribly if the other kids reject him for it.

Meanwhile, the kid he paralyzed has hospital bills topping 1 million dollars now, his older brother had to quit his job to take care of him full time and they're looking at 20 million or so to pay for the full time care and medical treatment he'll need for the rest of his life.

But the person that did this too him gets a pony?
                      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 12-15-2013, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
                        I was going to let you see the website of the place, but for some reason, the name of the place isn't mentioned in searches.
                        Newport Academy. For anyone interested.

Comment

I hope that the therapy includes FAMILY therapy, because looking at this case from all sides, I have concluded that HE has been crying out to his parents for any type of attention for a long time. He got caught driving at 13 (parents don't want to discuss it), so then he gets caught with the 14 year old (gets fined, parents don't want to talk with him about it) and now this.

Comment

Originally posted by Titi View Post
                            I hope that the therapy includes FAMILY therapy, because looking at this case from all sides, I have concluded that HE has been crying out to his parents for any type of attention for a long time.
                            I doubt his parents are worried about anything aside from how much money this is costing them. The lawsuits will likely clean them out and the father's business is being torn apart online. Its website has been taken down and the Google reviews for it are pretty raging. It's not helped by the fact that both parents have not said a word or even identified themselves ( their names are coming from the lawsuits filed against them ) while their kid gets his name plastered across the news.

Since the kid was driving his dad's company truck he opened the company to liability as well.

THe court documents for the lawsuit reveal a lot more information than the news articles so far:

The lawsuit shows that dad lent him the truck, he didn't take it, and that his license was actually prohibited from driving while unaccompanied by a guardian. His license also prohibits him form having more than one passenger and Texas law also prohibits driving with underage passengers in the truck bed. Additionally, the speed limit was 40 ( he was doing 70 when he hit everyone ) and he was racing through a residential area at night

His blood alcohol level was 3 times the legal amount for an adult, *24* times the legal amount for a driver under 21. He was not watching the road at the time and was using his cell phone. He was in the wrong lane as well. In addition to striking the 4 people and the parked car with a flat tire, he also hit one other car. 4 people were killed. 9 were injured. Except for him, he was uninjured. Oh, and he had alcohol with him in the vehicle. So he was drinking, driving, speeding and fucking with his cell phone with 6 passengers 5 of whom were just sitting in the open bed of the truck. And in spite of his license restrictions and history of drinking, dad permitted him to drive a company truck.

He was arrested three months prior to the accident for underage drinking and pleaded no contest. His mother attended that case and sentencing and thus was clearly aware of her son's drinking problems.

In total he violated 16 laws by the looks of it.

The court documents also note that the kid who is in a vegetative coma was not present at Ethan's home prior to this. In other word's Ethan got liquored up at home with stolen beer and then picked up his friends. Some or all of whom would thus be unaware of how much he had had to drink.

Seriously, there isn't a single redeeming aspect about this scenario. Every new layer points to an additional act of redeemable stupidity or negligence by this kid and his parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                              when the place advertises based on how fun the place is, I doubt it is the type of place you want to send a kid who has killed people. Not to mention, as said, the place is designed to prevent people going wrong- in which case, it makes sense that it is a fun place.

Not to mention, the rich kid needs two main lessons: 1) that actions have consequences- so a prison stay may actually have value there, no matter how long, 2) to value other human beings- the kid has NO remorse for the fat that his actions killed 4 people. That shows he doesn't believe that other people's lives even matter- and I doubt a place where you get professionally cooked meals included as well as having your own horse assigned is particularly conductive to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelmon View Post
                                I guess we (that is, our government) just see prisons not as a place to lock away unwanted people, but rather one that helps them to "get better", to become productive members of society again. And going by this principle - what would be the point to lock up people for extremely long times?
                                Well, you hit the nail on the head, realize it or not. UNWANTED ppl...that means we don't want them! I don't want to see them rehabilitated, I don't want to see them "better", I want to see them slap miserable and SUFFERING...that's why it's called PUNISHMENT, not happy happy joy joy self improvement time.

There seems to be a bizarrely large number of bleeding hearts on this board overall, but most real ppl here like the idea that prison is meant to be a miserable experience that destroys you just fine, thanks.
                                Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                                Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Working...
                                X