No announcement yet.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's because most of these people don't actually believe in free speech: they believe in free speech for THEM. Support an opposing viewpoint, and watch how quickly their support for free speech dissolves.

oh, and Sarah Palin? you need to read up on the definition of negative campaigning. What negative campaigning means is campaigning that is against your opponent, rather than supporting you. (basically, negative campaigning is "don't vote for X" positive campaigning is "vote for Y") Yes, it IS important to know a political candidate's background, but pointing out that a candidate does nothing but is also important.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
      I think I twitched harder at the sheer stupidity of his Shinto/Nazi quote...
      The part about Islam is the crowning achievement. Seeing as Jesus is a major figure in the Quran. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
        I think I twitched harder at the sheer stupidity of his Shinto/Nazi quote...
        How does he explain "Gott Mitt Uns" on the belt buckles of Nazi Soldiers? Or the fact that they thought they were punishing the Jews as "Christ Killers"? but whatever.

I knew about Duck Dynasty before all this but I never saw the show. I can still say I never saw the show.

As for being a character in a show or movie versus a reality series...I think they are playing a character in those as well....

Comment

To me this is again, another example of the cultural divide in America. I am currently living with my Mother and Brother, and they love the show so I have seen many episodes with them. The reason the show is so popular is that there are very few positive portrayals of rural American culture on TV. The family is very tight knit, and they have a lot of fun with each other. They are also all quite bright and well educated, and like most rural men, they live to hunt and have an earthy, bawdy sense of humor. I grew up around exactly this kind of people.

I am surprised that A&E is shocked by what Phil said. The family is devoutly religious, and while it is not the focus of the show, they do not hide it. Every episode ends with Phil leading the family in prayer at the dinner table. Rural people are extremely blunt when asked about their opinions or beliefs, it is expected of them in their culture. Hopefully Phil will know better than to be interviewed by a magazine like GQ again. People in his culture don't read things like GQ, and opinions like his are offensive to the kinds of people who do read GQ.

I do think the brouhaha is overblown. Yeah, he said some offensive things. To be honest, the people who will find his remarks the most offensive are not the ones who watch the show. A&E won't get rid of him, the show is too popular in heartland culture.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhoneGoddess View Post
            I do think the brouhaha is overblown. Yeah, he said some offensive things. To be honest, the people who will find his remarks the most offensive are not the ones who watch the show. A&E won't get rid of him, the show is too popular in heartland culture.
            It would be overblown if he said one thing, but by God if he didn't try and get his foot so far in his mouth he could give his prostate a foot job. I grew up around devoutly religious salt of the earth types in a small town as well and they would never dream of saying anything like that.

Religion is not the issue here, its ignorance and hatred. Also, he won't *stop* talking. He's still saying stupid shit even now. He equated homosexuality with murder. Then there's these gems:

When A&E told them that they did not want to offend the Muslim population, Phil asked, "What year is it?" They replied "2012." He pointed out that the year was 2012 AD, or in the year of Our Lord. He asked them why they would take someone out who the entire universe is based on.
            In response to A&E's suspension, Robertson released a statement, saying in part: "I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me."
            Except when I talk about them publicly. >.>

Comment

What Phil Robertson said is absolutely, unbelievably repulsive.

But he had the right to say it. Everyone has the right to be obnoxious. The correct solution to this flap was to ignore it, or maybe laugh at the guy.

Don't buy his products and don't watch his show if it bothers you that much. That's the extent of the proper response IMHO.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                What Phil Robertson said is absolutely, unbelievably repulsive.

But he had the right to say it.
                And A&E had the right to suspend or fire him.
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

When A&E told them that they did not want to offend the Muslim population, Phil asked, "What year is it?" They replied "2012." He pointed out that the year was 2012 AD, or in the year of Our Lord. He asked them why they would take someone out who the entire universe is based on.
                  Ahahaha. This is a great example of the cultural difference! Rural American culture is still definitely part of Christendom, and they know it. It infuses their entire worldview. What they don't understand is that much of the rest of the country is Post-Christian. This is the biggest difference between the two cultures, and it is only going to get worse. Religion absolutely is the issue here, Phil's offensive opinions come out of his firm religious convictions, which makes them unassailable to him. His entire universe revolves around God, and he honestly believes that the rest of the world should as well. Rural American culture is FULL of people like this.

Comment

Religion absolutely is the issue here, Phil's offensive opinions come out of his firm religious convictions, which makes them unassailable to him.
                    Religion is just the excuse used to justify it. Also, this lot are southern Baptists. Which can be a special lot to begin with. Also, the racist shit isn't stemming from religion. That's just more utter stupidity and ignorance.

He's demonstrated he doesn't know shit about anything whatsoever, be it religion or history. But he seems pretty insistent on talking about it anyway. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      He's demonstrated he doesn't know shit about anything whatsoever, be it religion or history. But he seems pretty insistent on talking about it anyway. ;p
                      It's not that he doesn't know anything about religion or history, it's that he only knows them from an evangelical point of view. This is exactly the kind of stuff evangelical homeschoolers teach their children. And OF COURSE he is talking about it, he's an evangelical. The most basic tenet of evangelical sects is to evangelize!

Comment

To be honest, the people who will find his remarks the most offensive are not the ones who watch the show.
                        I wish I could remember just what that was from the last Daily Show... something about how many black and gay viewers this is costing the show.

But no, this isn't Christian, or even evangelical Christian, vs. anybody else. Even among evangelicals, there are a lot more than you'd expect who don't agree with this sort of thing... and even among those who do, many would still be offended at the way he said it.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's not that he doesn't know anything about religion or history, it's that he only knows them from an evangelical point of view.
                          I don't think being completely wrong about history qualifies as knowing something about history. -.-

This is exactly the kind of stuff evangelical homeschoolers teach their children. And OF COURSE he is talking about it, he's an evangelical. The most basic tenet of evangelical sects is to evangelize!
                          His pastor is hoping the controversy "ignites a spiritual awakening in America". >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            His pastor is hoping the controversy "ignites a spiritual awakening in America". >.>
                            Yeah, that sounds pretty Evangelical. They want everybody to have the freedom to worship just like they do!

Evangelical sects in this country have a whole revisionist history that they write books about and stuff. It goes from modern times all the way back into prehistory. Phil's comments tell me that he has read a bunch of this hooey; that's what he is regurgitating.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                              Don't buy his products and don't watch his show if it bothers you that much. That's the extent of the proper response IMHO.
                              What if the executives of A&E are bothered that much? Why shouldn't they fire him?

It's not like we're talking about firing a cashier who can barely make ends meet. The man's a millionaire. That's the whole point of the show.

And again, the show is about HIM. That's kind of the big issue. He's not only an actor on the show, he's a main character. I don't expect someone to keep work from John Rhys Davies for the racist shit he's said, but that's because there is no John Rhys Davies show. He's an actor. He always plays a character. That's much less clear cut. But firing Robertson isn't just firing an actor and cutting his character, it's writing out a character, and show, that are garnering the wrong kind of attention.

If a cashier or a Wal-Mart greeter or a waiter got fired for saying homophobic shit while not at work, then I'd be a lot less clear on this. But he's also the guy he plays. And by keeping him on, it's not like you're keeping on an actor playing a not-racist/homophobic character, you are keeping on the character.
                              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I see no one's posted this article showing the transformation from before the family became "duck dynasty" and A&E created their "image" yup Marketing.

Yes it's scripted, this does show photos of ALL of them from just before the "reality show" started.
                                Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                                X