No announcement yet.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, because yuppies selling duck calls in the back woods wouldn't sell, they put a Rove makeover on the family to make them seem less refined. Color me utterly unsurprised.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
      Yes it's scripted, this does show photos of ALL of them from just before the "reality show" started.
      That somehow makes it worse. They're just normal, run of the mill white bread "conservative" Christian dip shits. Which means they don't have ignorant red neck culture as an excuse either.

Comment

And, as first called by Kittercat, A&E has caved and will resume filming with the entire family, with the addition of producing and airing a bunch of "tolerance" PSAs.

Article at Hollywood Reporter

They're currently on hiatus for duck season, but the article suggests that filming would have happened regardless, as they just recently signed contracts for season 5.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          And A&E had the right to suspend or fire him.
          Sure they do. Never said they didn't.

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
          What if the executives of A&E are bothered that much? Why shouldn't they fire him?
          I never said what A&E should or should not do, only that I think giving all this attention to this jerk is the wrong solution to the problem.

We've gotten so polarized in this country that the knee jerk reaction to every little offense is to express outrage and demand action or we will retaliate economically.

Corporate, not giving a shit one way or the other, does what it thinks the majority of its primary customers want.

When it was Chik Fil A, the owner stood fast for quite awhile before caving a bit. But for every "kiss in" there was a hard core Bible Thumper in his red pickup with the gun rack buying a bunch of sandwiches.

Ditto A&E, only even more so. You can't hold kiss ins with A&E: there's no physical location to boycott. But the Bible Thumpers could buy product in droves and scream very loudly with their wallets . . . and did. So A&E caved because the suits realized correctly that was the more profitable way to go.

So what gets solved? Nothing!

If we really want to change hearts and minds we need another solution other than to suppress opinions we don't like, and let's face facts: that's what these boycotts are about.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            I see no one's posted this article showing the transformation from before the family became "duck dynasty" and A&E created their "image" yup Marketing.

Yes it's scripted, this does show photos of ALL of them from just before the "reality show" started.
            and this really surprises anyone at this point???????
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I personally think the things said were ignorant at best. However, I'd be the first to defend his right to say them. Of course, just because he has the right to say them.. doesn't mean that he is immune from the consequences of saying it (if there are any). If we censored everything that somebody might not like, nobody would be able to say anything. ((Just like my grammar and spelling :P ))

Comment

I didn't think he could possibly say anything worse, but here we are:

“Make sure that she can cook a meal, you need to eat some meals that she cooks, check that out,” he said. “Make sure she carries her Bible. That’ll save you a lot of trouble down the road. And if she picks your ducks, now, that’s a woman.”

“They got to where they’re getting hard to find,” Robertson remarked. “Mainly because these boys are waiting until they get to be about 20 years old before they marry ‘em. Look, you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket.”

The Duck Commander company founder added: “You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16, they’ll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that of course.”
                FYI he started dating his wife when she was 14 and he was 18, and married her when she was 16. -.-

Comment

Just as a fun piece of information.

According to Anthropologists, and plenty of places, it is not 2012 (or 2013, soon to be 2014) AD.

It is actually 2013 (soon to be 2014) CE, or Common Era. Anything in "BC" is "BCE" or "Before Common Era."

So, according to anthropologists, and myself... and many other people... we AREN'T in the "Year of our Lord" we're in the Common Era.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                    So, according to anthropologists, and myself... and many other people... we AREN'T in the "Year of our Lord" we're in the Common Era.
                    Well, that was random.

CE has been in usage for a few hundred years. I'm not sure why anthropologists need factor into it. I don't care too much about the AD thing, given that the first six months of the year are all named after non-Christian gods and December is a numerical error no one bothered to correct. ( Seeing as it literally means 10. But when it got changed to the 12th month they shrugged and kept the name ).

The Gregorian calender is pretty screwy really. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      December is a numerical error no one bothered to correct. ( Seeing as it literally means 10. But when it got changed to the 12th month they shrugged and kept the name ).
                      December didn't get moved from 10th to 12th - the new year got moved from March to January (before the move, December was actually the 10th month). BTW, September, October, and November have the same issue as December - their names are derived from the Latin words for "seven", "eight", and "nine".

Comment

Actually that's used by historians as well, and it's not as a knock against it being AD but more of an agreement of baseline among many calendars. It's like scientists using Kelvin over Celsius or Fahrenheit.
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                          December didn't get moved from 10th to 12th - the new year got moved from March to January (before the move, December was actually the 10th month).
                          The new year got "moved" from March to January because January and February were added to the calender year in front of March. Thus December went from being 10th to the 12th. So I'm not really sure what you're trying to correct me on here.

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                          BTW, September, October, and November have the same issue as December - their names are derived from the Latin words for "seven", "eight", and "nine".
                          I know. That's The Joke(tm). The Gregorian calender is fubar. It's 6 Gods, 2 Emperors and 4 wrong numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            *snip* The Gregorian calender is ... 6 Gods, 2 Emperors and 4 wrong numbers.
                            No idea why, but I find this hilariously funny. Maybe because it's 2:30 a.m. and I've had a couple of glasses of wine to ring in the new year ...

Comment

Just as a fun piece of information.

According to Anthropologists, and plenty of places, it is not 2012 (or 2013, soon to be 2014) AD.

It is actually 2013 (soon to be 2014) CE, or Common Era. Anything in "BC" is "BCE" or "Before Common Era."
                              I'd heard of CE before, but it's really not in popular use outside of some portions of academia and sci-fi authors.

Although the Jehova's Witnesses use that notation for their Watchtower publication and have for half a century, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                                I'd heard of CE before, but it's really not in popular use outside of some portions of academia and sci-fi authors.
                                With regards to SCI-FI, some authors end up rebooting the calendar so if I read CE I might not see it as an alternate name for AD, for example (although not using BC and AD as it's route as it is not this galaxy but one far far away) the star wars books had the calendar reset with the rise of the empire and the fall heralding in the new republic and the comic's had a time line listing events years before a new hope and after for reader comprehension.

Then you have AE or after earth (not the will smith movie) and again back to CE, depending on how religion is handled in the future it might also be taken (without author preface) to mean a world so many years after the rejection of the church and a science based society (especially if it is set in an alternate history) hell I would probably think Common Era to mean the 20th century or at least the last 50 years of it just by the name.

I care little how when or why the calendar got fudged to make the last few months names not mean their numbered origin, or why Tuesday is between Monday and Wednesday and not nestled between Saturday and Sunday, I grew up accepting that 7 was 7 and 8 was 8, they were just words assigned to a concept, the number system could have been set out differently if none of them were trying to show a value in their shape, some numbers can be made using the same amount of matches but these are (without checking perhaps vastly) different to how they were originally drawn, so it might be a mere coincidence that 4 5 6 use the exact amount of bars in a 7 segment number display.

Comment

Working...
                                X