Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man shoots and kills 2 people he says are trespassing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy, I can't bring myself to call him a man, used a bolt action. You have to physically move the bolt for at least the first shot for most of those, and if its a single shot, reload and move the bolt again. I think besides single shot blackpowded guns one of the more time consuming ways of shooting. How can one not think in that time "humm maybe this is overkill? Maybe I shouldn't be doing this?"

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how he even thought it was remotely acceptable to do that, but I dont think I've got that level of sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by KitterCat View Post
      The guy, I can't bring myself to call him a man, used a bolt action. You have to physically move the bolt for at least the first shot for most of those, and if its a single shot, reload and move the bolt again. I think besides single shot blackpowded guns one of the more time consuming ways of shooting. How can one not think in that time "humm maybe this is overkill? Maybe I shouldn't be doing this?"

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how he even thought it was remotely acceptable to do that, but I dont think I've got that level of sociopath.
      I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Almost all bolt-action rifles are fed by some sort of magazine. They're not single-shot. They can be your "external" detachable-box magazine, or an internal magazine. For instance, the Carcano 91/38 that Oswald allegedly used to assassinate JFK with had a 6 round internal magazine.

The bolt-action is what loads the initial round, ejects the casing, and loads the next round. For someone with any type of experience with a bolt-action rifle, whether it be a hunter or former military, the action of clearing a casing and loading the next round is second nature.
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
        I actually don't see much racism around here. We tend to be more fond of religious bigotry and Tea Party/Truther conspiracy theories. Also foreigners terrify us and Europe is the devil's kingdom.
        That would kind of be racism there.
        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          Almost all bolt-action rifles are fed by some sort of magazine. They're not single-shot. ... (and so on)
          it took me very very little time to find single-shot bolt action sport rifles on youtube and retail sites. granted, many of them seem to be "youth models" but they do exist. some i found on youtube were the remington 580, crickett 22lr, savage 22 "rascal", Winchester 67.
          the only diffrence between what you're describing and one without a cartridge is you have to put in the next round by hand, there's no magazine.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Almost all bolt-action rifles are fed by some sort of magazine. They're not single-shot.
            Sorry, I was trying to rationalize to some degree the crazy this guy brought to the table. Yes I know that most bolt actions have a magazine, or internal magazine. But at least the first shot has to be set up. I've delt with several rifles like that, but have to addmit I prefer to practice with single shot youth. So when I hear "bolt action" my mind goes to a single shot system.

As to why I practice with a youth rifle, well I'm only 5' 2" with a 24 inch draw. Youth rifles just work for me. I can use longer rifles, heck I shoot a Nagant, but their top heavy for me, so its more of a novelty thing that I can do. Pluse they hurt.
            Last edited by KitterCat; 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM. Reason: tablet being finicky.

Comment

A bit O/T, but bolt-action rifles designed for the military (e.g. the Lee Enfield) have a magazine bypass function, which lets them work as if they were a single-shot. This is so a soldier can keep up a steady fire, but if something happens (e.g. troops coming "over the top" from the opposing trench) they still have a full magazine to deal with the problem at a higher rate of fire.

Note that in "The Day of the Jackal", the assassin's weapon was a single-shot bolt action.

Comment

And, further details:

Apparently, the land that the two men had been on was one of three parcels that had belonged to the shooter's parents. His mother's will left him one parcel, and the other two were his sister's.

She states that he was aware that it was for sale and was angry at her for selling it.

And he was also a recluse. At least one neighbor who has spoken to reporters mentions having never seen him in two years and his comments make it sound like nobody really ever saw him.

Article at Digital Journal
                Article at The Herald-Dispatch
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I had heard the land once belonged to his family, but I didn't know it was that recent.
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

if anything, it makes this even more pathetic. The guy was aware the land was for sale. I can understand being cross at the sale- assuming there was some form of sentimental attachment to the land causing him to be cross (like it being part of his childhood home)- but a) he doesn't have a veto over the land being sold. b) this is looking suspiciously like he shot the two men over sour grapes about the land being sold. c) with this information, I wonder if the guy still considers the three parcels of land to be the family property? Because the only thing that makes this whole situation make some form of logical sense is if he believed his sister had no right to sell the property- and that he had some form of ownership interest in the property.

Comment

Working...
                    X