No announcement yet.

Healthy 24 year old granted right to die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my POINT si that that story is fictional- the alien culture was always going to succeed in bringing their issues under control. What I was saying is that it's worth noting the MASSIVE casualties such a program would cause- because, regardless of intent, there is GOING to be pressure on people to use the implants rather than "be a burden on other people"

Currently, ethics say that eugenics- which is what such a program functionally is- is wrong. Yes, that has not always been the case- indeed, eugenics was only banned across the US in the 1980s, i believe.

Third, well done making the ultimate weapon for criminals to intimidate people. (make your target believe that you have a way to set off their implant, and you pretty much have the ultimate blackmail on them)

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      my POINT si that that story is fictional- the alien culture was always going to succeed in bringing their issues under control. What I was saying is that it's worth noting the MASSIVE casualties such a program would cause- because, regardless of intent, there is GOING to be pressure on people to use the implants rather than "be a burden on other people"
      Why is the solution to improving mental health care to make it easier for people to kill themselves? While I'm not necessarily against the idea of people having that method of suicide like this this story, I think it's just as important if not more so that health care improves.

And honestly I think it says something that some people with mental health issues agree that it's a burden but also say that if they could magically make it cured, they wouldn't do it. It goes along with so much of who you are. There seems to be a high correlation between things like depression or bi polar disorder and creativity.

Part of the problem with eugenics is that where does it stop? At what point do you start weeding out all mental illness? I'm not trying to paint mental illness as this good thing that should be thought of as worth it but why should anyone get to say that it's not ok for the human race? Who gets to decide what counts as mental illness? ADD people like myself have chemical differences. At what point do you say that that is a problem in society? And who gets to decide where that line is?

Comment

if you had read my entire post, you will note I addressed the eugenics issue later on. No, it is not acceptable. My point was that the system proposed in the story wouldn't even have worked as an effective eugenics program.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          if you had read my entire post, you will note I addressed the eugenics issue later on. No, it is not acceptable. My point was that the system proposed in the story wouldn't even have worked as an effective eugenics program.
          I apologize, I did read your entire post but then I think I was a bit unclear on what you were saying and I mixed up a couple of different people and who posted what after that? I can see where I did misunderstand a couple of things you were saying. And at this point I've been up since yesterday morning and so some of it I'm not sure enough about to be able to clear up my response and I also apparently formatted that horribly because not all of that was in response to whether eugenics was wrong or to the bit that I had quoted.

The second paragraph was meant as an observation about the idea of mental illness being seen as something that needs to be removed from society, even if it involves finding cures and not through eugenics.

Comment

Working...
          X