Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Cougar is still seen as a cute pet name, for female predators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by violetyoshi View Post
    I agree with people who say Girls Next Door is similar to Cougartown.
    Similar, sure. However you're missing one very basic point here - men and women are wired differently. Same basic model, minor changes to the undercarriage to allow compatability between the two, but the mentality is very, very different. I'm all for equal rights of the genders, but I don't expect the same from them both, or the same approach.

Of note is that I don't have any statistics for this, but I rather suspect the cougar mentality is not a majority amongst women, which is why it's so celebrated (for want of a better word).

Differences of ages in relationships have been discussed before. The general consensus was, I think, if the people involved are happy and of the age of consent, what's the problem? If the older woman seeking a younger man only wants a night or two of passion and can pass on some teaching, then why not? The average young man is not going to be scarred for life over a sexual encounter with an experienced person. Sure, it may be different for a young woman, but I can't see any problem with an older woman approaching a young man.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      This is totally bassackwards.

Dirty old men have been after little spring chickens for years and years and years. Hundreds of years ago, a man in his 30s would marry a girl who was in her early teens and she'd bear his children.

Although times have certainly changed, it's still not uncommon to see a middle aged man or a man several years older than girl that he's with. A lot of times, it's because he has money, other times it's real and geniune......but I digress.

Pedophiles are pedophiles, male or female.

By the way, a Dingo is the cute pet name for older men who like younger women, so no, Cougar is not that degrading.
      I was wondering what the male equivalent term for a cougar was. I just don't see how anybody could want to date, marry and even....sleep with somebody that's half their age, to be honest. *puke* I never have and refuse to be with anybody that is more than 6 years older/younger than me. Thank God SO and I have a 6 MONTH age gap.
      Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM.
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Ashton Kutcher, Catherine Zeta Jones, ummm ... Billy Joel's ex-wife, Bruce Wilis's wife, Hulk Hogan's girlfriend (isn't she like 20 years younger than him or something?) ...

There are plenty of people who date/marry/sleep with people who are more than half their age.

I admit I don't like it. I think it's disgusting.

Women shouldn't be flashing anything at anyone - just shows how desperate they are, in my opinion. And they shouldn't be with a guy young enough to be their son.

Men shouldn't think they have to prove their virility with a woman young enough to be their daughter.
        Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
          Men shouldn't think they have to prove their virility with a woman young enough to be their daughter.
          I don't think it's about proving anything - it's about wanting to fuck someone in their relative youth.

I may be wrong, as I'm more the sort to do something particularly stupid to prove myself, not something sexual.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I don't understand what's so inherently disgusting about getting involved with someone younger like that. Why is it so wrong to you guys? As long as they're not underage, as long as it's not illegal, I really don't see the problem.

And the whole "flashing" thing really doesn't have anything to do with cougars. It was what one woman, on a TV show, who was portraying a cougar, and decided to flash a kid. Cougars don't generally engage in such acts, and it's definitely not something that is done because someone is a cougar.

Comment

Maybe I'm weird, but the idea of sleeping with grandpa turns me off. I don't understand what a young woman would want with that.

I want to grow old *with* my partner. Not waste the prime of my youth nursing someone through old age. Sorry. I find it weird that someone would want that.

I'm not attracted to guys that are old enough to be my father or grandfather. For me, a 10 year gap is probably about as far as I'd be willing to consider. I prefer to stick with guys close to my own age.

And I don't hold a double standard. I think it's equally weird for a guy to date a woman old enough to be his mom/grandma.

*shrug* just me. I don't care what other people do as long as it's legal. But I'm certainly allowed to think it's weird.
              Last edited by DesignFox; 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM.
              "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
              "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

I'm a 40 year old female, and I think Ashton and Demi look fucking ridiculous. But then again, that's just my opinion - and I do wholeheartedly feel 'to each their own' regarding ages, as long as no laws are broken.

The youngest man I was ever with was a 26 year old when I was 35. I guess that wasn't 'cougardom'?

I just don't see the appeal. Maybe its because my sons are 22 and almost 20, so it squicks me out to imagine getting it on with dudes their age. The couple of times my son's friends have made comments, or flirted, I've laughed and shaken my head at them. Both sons were appalled and annoyed with the friend, though.

Somewhat off topic: Demi has gotten me thinking of making a thread about plastic surgery in hollywood. She was just the subject of an interview recently in which she denied having any 'work' done. I laughed really, REALLY hard at that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                  Somewhat off topic: Demi has gotten me thinking of making a thread about plastic surgery in hollywood. She was just the subject of an interview recently in which she denied having any 'work' done. I laughed really, REALLY hard at that one.
                  Does she think everyone has forgotten her topless scenes pre and post surgery?
                  I don't have a problem with age differences. Isn't love supposed to be about something more important than the physical?
                  My girlfriend is only three years younger than me, but with our family histories, I will likely outlive her by decades. My mom is 56 and can still move furniture.
                  Is that just as disgusting to everyone? Why would I want to get involved with a woman knowing that I will be nursing her in our older age?

Yes, many such relationships are about things other than love just like many age equivalent marriages, but many aren't..
                  As long as a woman smelled good, I wouldn't care about appearance or age... if I were single.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                    I'm a 40 year old female, and I think Ashton and Demi look fucking ridiculous. But then again, that's just my opinion - and I do wholeheartedly feel 'to each their own' regarding ages, as long as no laws are broken.

The youngest man I was ever with was a 26 year old when I was 35. I guess that wasn't 'cougardom'?

I just don't see the appeal. Maybe its because my sons are 22 and almost 20, so it squicks me out to imagine getting it on with dudes their age. The couple of times my son's friends have made comments, or flirted, I've laughed and shaken my head at them. Both sons were appalled and annoyed with the friend, though.

In my opinon, 'cougardom' would be like a 35 year old, dating an 18 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                      I don't understand what's so inherently disgusting about getting involved with someone younger like that. Why is it so wrong to you guys? As long as they're not underage, as long as it's not illegal, I really don't see the problem.
                      If there's a huge age gap, then I'll find it a little weird. For example, when I was a senior in high school, a girl in my class was dating a 27 year-old guy. She even brought him to the senior prom. I thought that was weird. I didn't think it was "gross," just a little weird. I also wondered if he felt a little out of place at a high school dance. Looking back now, I also wonder how her parents reacted to that. I have a sister, and back when she was in high school, my parents would have gone through the roof had she ever brought home a guy that age and told them she was dating him.

I try not to analyze it too much, though. I mean, in this world, it's hard enough to find someone who can make you happy. If someone finds that, then they shouldn't let an age gap stop them (unless one of them is underage).

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                        I try not to analyze it too much, though. I mean, in this world, it's hard enough to find someone who can make you happy. If someone finds that, then they shouldn't let an age gap stop them (unless one of them is underage).
                        Hells yeah!
                        If underage, then patience is not only a virtue it's a stay out of jail card.
                        Then again, there is no law against dating minors, only sex with them.

We are born, we do stuff, then we die. Any and every excuse to enjoy our meager lives should be allowed as long as it hurts no one.

Comment

I have no problem with people who are a bit weirded out by it. It's unusual, as it is not what the majority of society prefers. You take a second glance, maybe give it another moment's thought, and that's it.

But it takes effort and judgement to be truly disgusted by something. That's why I asked. If a relationship that has no bearing on you, no effect on your life and is not harming anyone (that you can see) truly disgusts you, then maybe you need to take a step back.

Comment

Working...
                          X