No announcement yet.

The aspca commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really do want to donate, but I want to be sure I'm not getting scammed and my money is going towards those precious animals.

I've heard a lot of those starving children charities are a scam and I refuse to buy into those.

Comment

They bug me, too. I simply don't have the money or means right now to donate or adopt a pet, although I've pretty much decided that my next dog is going to come from a shelter or rescue. And like blas, I'm afraid my money wouldn't go where they say it will. I think I'd rather go down to my local shelter and donate time or supplies there, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
      A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

The ASPCA commercials ruined one of my favorite songs. They used Natalie Merchant's "My Skin" for their newest one. Now, when I hear that song, I think of abused animals.

The commercials make me cry and hug my kitties because they both came from abusive families and we rescued one from the shelter.

If I had a farm, I would take them all and just let them run around and be happy.
        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
          I have to hug my kitties after seeing those commercials. They both came from shelters, and so did Snow. She spent nearly a year in a shelter--nobody wanted her because she wasn't "perfect." Her flaw? She was totally deaf. Otherwise, she was a very sweet, and playful white kitty. Pisses me off, that pets like Snow will spend a long time in shelters, and are usually the first to get put to sleep
          I can relate somewhat.........two of my cats would've been in a similiar position if they'd ever ended up in a shelter or the pound. (let's just say that both were strays, and have issues which would've made them "unadoptable")

Comment

I hate those commercials. My hormones are running wild double time right now due to my pregnancy. I’ve had to teach myself to harden my hart to those or ignore them because otherwise I turn into a crying mess, cuddling/squeezing my cat.

Its even worse when its “save the kids from -insert countries name hear-”. Just the big eyes they have on those kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat View Post
              The HSUS is far worse...
              And the HSUS is far worse-they do not have a single shelter, they are part of PETA-which euthanizes 80% of the totally adoptable animals they take in. The fact that HSUS also takes money from legitimate shelters is far far worse.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
              I've heard a lot of those starving children charities are a scam and I refuse to buy into those.
              Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post
              I'm afraid my money wouldn't go where they say it will. I think I'd rather go down to my local shelter and donate time or supplies there, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

good idea-also charity navigator rates charity sites and HSUS gets zero out of four stars. The ASPCA or local shelter are both good choices-my local shelter has a "wish list" for needed supplies.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Hey, guys, just dropping by to say there's a place to go to complain about commercials that i think you'd enjoy. It's called Commercials I Hate, found at http://www.commercialsihate.com if this is against the board rules then mods feel free to delete this post! I'm not a member of that forum, just a lurker, but it can be entertaining to read!

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                  The ASPCA or local shelter are both good choices-my local shelter has a "wish list" for needed supplies.
                  Do the research first! There are some local shelters so slap-awful the animals are better running the streets...the one here is quite well known in animal circles as one of the worst in the country. No amount of money will improve the issues that need improving, which revolve around design and sanitation.

Wary of giving the name out, but anyone who knows the state I live in and is knowledgeable about cat rescue should be able to figure out the county very easily.
                  Last edited by Fire_on_High; 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM.
                  Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                  Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

I turn off the ASPCA commercials as I tend to get weepy at them. We got both of our kitties at local shelters. It's lucky I got my boycat as the shelter said he was 2 months old (I thought he was the runt of the litter) and the vet I took him, after examining him and everything said he was only a month old! Then he got kennel cough. Poor little guy. I had to hand feed him his medicine and his food!

My girlcat caugh kennel cough from the boycat.

I love my cats both. They're so adorable! I can't believe no one would want them. Ah well ... their loss and my gain.

If I were to get more cats/dogs, I'd definitely get them from the shelter.
                    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Working...
                    X