Lame ass poetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boozy,
    Forgive my ignorance, but I only recognize the names, I don't know who those people are; other than quite possibly dead.
    But like many things, it's a matter of taste - what appeals to one, won't necessarily appeal to others. Example, 'Catcher in the Rye' is supposed to be a classic book or something - I thought it was not worth reading and I want that time back.

Comment

Poetry has a similar problem that theatre does. People aren't being taught how to appreciate it and therefore, they don't. I was lucky to have an English teacher who really did love Poe and Shakespeare and really helped us understand meter, rhyme, and how poetry can be used to communicate. As a college teacher, I've come across many students who resist anything remotely Shakespearean because they 'hate Shakespeare.' Why? Because it was taught by an English Lit teacher who simply had them read it aloud in class and they were bored to tears. Or they were forced to sit through a terrible community or high school production.

At any rate, poetry has the same problem. I'm not a huge fan of Tennyson, Longfellow, or Whitman, but I adore Poe, Maya Angelou, Shel Silverstein, and Emily Dickinson. The Sonnets are kinda fascinating more as revelation about the author than the poetry they contain.

Comment

AdminAssistant,
        I think that may have been my problem - how I was taught about poetry and having to read it aloud in class and bored. Not really taught to appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          a terrible community or high school production.
          Or they just don't like Shakespeare. I have seen professional companies perform his plays. I have disected his work and studied it as it was meant to be studied. I am still not a fan.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Possibly a 'Man of his Time' and his time is over.
            Like Lucas and Spielberg... men of their time, but I think their time is over.

Comment

Working...
            X