Food snobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food snobs

I've been wanting to post this for quite awhile. It's about a certain co-irker (yes, *that* one)....

Lately, she's been giving me some shit about my diet. Mainly, because I have a pair of sandwiches for lunch every day, along with applesauce, yogurt, and a banana. No big deal, right?

Well, I've been hearing about how I'm "low class" because I refuse to eat out at expensive restaurants, or do the "organic" thing. Sorry, but I can't see paying more for a tiny steak, or similar-looking (and tasting) food. Nor do I see the point in eating at all the "trendy" places around town. I don't know what she's on, but chain restaurants are *not* nasty, nor are they to be avoided. I like my subs from Sheetz, dammit!

Then today, I got to hear about how I'm "damaging" my kidneys because I have Mountain Dew around lunchtime. For the most part, that's usually the only soft drinks I have. It helps keep the migraines and sinus pressure under control, and gives me an excuse to take a walk around the block (and usually down to the railroad tracks ) at lunchtime. Trust me, I *need* to get off the desk for 10 minutes during the day. I really doubt my boss would let me leave the office to "take a break."

It pisses me off, because this is the same person, who guzzles coffee, and stuffs her face most of the working day. She's read a few health articles, and suddenly she's a damn nutritionist? Are you fucking kidding me?

I guess it's because I don't let that sort of thing worry me. Mainly, because to me, if it's going to happen...I'm not going to stress out over it. I do exercise, I try to eat right, etc. so it's not like I'm *ignoring* health issues. But, having someone (who is an alcoholic, BTW) harp on it is pretty fucking annoying. I mean, I don't go around busting on her because she gets drunk all the time

Oooh, I HATE people like that, too! My CW, Idjit, recently hopped on the healthy lifestyle/weight loss bandwagon, which I've been on since last April. She likes to gloat too, about her personal trainer and all the food he has her eating, and how I'm just not doing it right because I'm not following a specific plan, and I'm not eating well.

Erm. What? And, like your CW, she's read a few things, talked to a trainer (and promptly ignored everything he told her!!), and now she's an expert at what I'm doing wrong, and why..

My lunch is like yours somedays. Though, lately it's been a salad, a microwave entree meal and yogurt. And I'm apparently poisoning myself with preservatives and whatnot. Mmm, sweet, tasty preservatives. Ugh, people!

You have my sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
      Nor do I see the point in eating at all the "trendy" places around town. I don't know what she's on, but chain restaurants are *not* nasty, nor are they to be avoided. I like my subs from Sheetz, dammit!
      I will say that I am a major advocate of going to local restaurants instead of mass-produced chains like Applebee's, Chilis, etc. Not that I don't stop by Sonic occasionally (I do), but when going out, I prefer to go to the local, usually family-owned, businesses. Food's almost always better there. (Of course, my town has a lot of inexpensive, local restaurants. Cheap is the only way to bring in the all-important college student crowd. )

Comment

Lately, she's been giving me some shit about my diet. Mainly, because I have a pair of sandwiches for lunch every day, along with applesauce, yogurt, and a banana. No big deal, right?
        This freaks me out! That is exactly what I pack for my husband's lunch every day - except I give him a pear instead of a banana.

Two sandwiches, yogurt, applesauce, piece of fruit. Inexpensive, nutritious, and easy to transport. What could be wrong about that?

Comment

People generally don't give me grief over my eating habits anymore... ever since I offered to take them out back and grill them up with some BBQ sauce. It only really freaked them out when they saw me read "A Cannibal's Cookbook" (avail at most major online bookstores under 'comedy/humor'.)
          No one has asked or said anything about my eating habits since.

P.S. Skinny people cook up just like chicken or turkey wings... so I'm told.

Comment

A close cousin of these food snobs are the horrendously picky eaters who get in a tizzy whenever anyone within proximity of them eats one of the hundreds of types of food they disapprove of. I've worked with these types of people before.

Comment

They fry up good too.... (joking) They'd probably disapprove of your marinade or BBQ sauce...

Comment

Yeah, they probably would.

Though I'm probably a little too biased, since picky eaters really get under my skin.

Comment

She's read a few health articles, and suddenly she's a damn nutritionist? Are you fucking kidding me?
                  THIS. Pisses. me. off. Your whole post just touched on my number one pet peeve. If I'm on a diet or anything, I just keep my mouth shut, because all of the sudden everyone from my co-irkers to my boss to my friends to my hairstylist becomes a registered fucking dietician and takes it upon themselves to monitor everything that goes into my mouth. Any idiot can look on WebMD. What and how I eat is between my doctor and I. Period.

The hypocrisy makes me twice as angry. Just like your alkie coworker, my boyfriend's dad often makes snide remarks. Get this: I tend to eat small snacks throughout the day to regulate my blood sugar. This way I don't go bat shit crazy when I finally have a chance to get a meal and gorge myself. So one day while we were on some "forced family fun" outing and he sees me eating Cheerios out of my purse he says "What is wrong with you? Why are you always eating? You can never wait until dinner...." and I worked so hard to keep my cool. The kicker is that he's clinically obese. I still kept my mouth shut because I grew up a chunky kid and i have a great deal of compassion for people who are overweight. But if you can't fit into restaurant booths (yes, this is true), where do you get off bashing other people's eating habits?

God forbid I want to slack off and have McD's one day. Co-irkers will never let me hear the end of it. Or if I decide not to partake in an office potluck. Then I'm anorexic, right?

I could probably fill a book on how much this shit annoys me, but the point is I HEAR YA!!! And don't even get me started on the organic crap

Comment

[post made in jest]
                    *opens up a small stand a la Lucy from Peanuts, begins handing out copies of "A Cannibal's Cookbook"*

- Directions:
                    1. Read book in open view of offenders.
                    2. Leer at them.
                    3. Keep bottle(s) of condiments handy.
                    4. Occasionally ask people if they happen to know their body fat percentage. (Too lean/muscly meat doesn't taste that well, too chewy, gamy)
                    5. For REPEAT offenders, remark "I bet you'd taste rreeeaal good in a bowl of chili" (with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti?)

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond View Post
                      [post made in jest]
                      *opens up a small stand a la Lucy from Peanuts, begins handing out copies of "A Cannibal's Cookbook"*

- Directions:
                      1. Read book in open view of offenders.
                      2. Leer at them.
                      3. Keep bottle(s) of condiments handy.
                      4. Occasionally ask people if they happen to know their body fat percentage. (Too lean/muscly meat doesn't taste that well, too chewy, gamy)
                      5. For REPEAT offenders, remark "I bet you'd taste rreeeaal good in a bowl of chili" (with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti?)

Step 6: show them the mountain assault scene from Conan to let them know what'll happen if your restaurant chain markets well...

(I realize the group of people coming in there, killing a few dozen guards and making their escape doesn't exactly help your cause as much as the scenery, but, hey, violence sells )
                      All units: IRENE
                      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Giggle Goose View Post
                        The kicker is that he's clinically obese.
                        Pardon my French, but people like that have *no* right to judge others. I'm not exactly rail-thin either...

But, back in 2004, my boss managed to piss me off. As I was making my usual sandwiches, he came downstairs...and uttered "you know, you've put on a bit of weight since you started this job." It took all I had not to throttle him. I mean, it's not my fault my job involves sitting on my ass all day. It's not my fault my metabolism slowed down after I hit 30... You have *no* right to judge *me,* you fat bastard! Why don't you go upstairs, or at least get away from the floor lamp--the eclipse wasn't supposed to be until nightfall!

Comment

I hate this! I went to school with a girl that was utterly disgusted at the fact that someone in class was eating goldfish crackers, she made a big stink about it when the girl had offered her one about how horrible they are and all that jazz. Or the people that assume because something is prepackaged that it's filled to the brim with horrible horrible stuff, I had a debate with a friend who thought that pancakes from a mix were better for you than Kraft Dinner, I wasn't arguing that KD is healthy, but if you read the ingredients there aren't a whole lot of them, and most are just the things that go into cheese. There's maybe one thing that I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it's probably some form of preservative, which I'm fine with. I was arguing that the pancakes and the KD are probably about the same.

And the people who go on about how Cheese wiz is "one molecule away from plastic" are so full of it, that is a total myth.

*sigh* people annoy me.

Comment

You have *no* right to judge *me,* you fat bastard! Why don't you go upstairs, or at least get away from the floor lamp--the eclipse wasn't supposed to be until nightfall!
                            I think he was jealous of your sandwiches

Comment

Ha, I get this at work.

I eat maple surgar instant oatmeal every day....I love the junk, and I like eating break fast at my desk.

For lunch, I usually have a sandwich and piece of fruit (a snack of prezels later in the day...though I have been splurging on salads in the cafe this week. This brought a comment form my boss's boss, "Oh look at Cat, so healthu, eating salad an climbing mountains" LOL, I lost 20 pounds since last year, I'll take the snide remarks.

Though I will say when my bf and I go out to eat, I do prefer the local places...more chances for vegetarian yumminess. (Thoughm props to Chilis for letting on "make yr own" burger w/ black bean patties)

Comment

Working...
                              X