No announcement yet.

Food snobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The local sit down nice places in my area always seem to be owned by some faceless corporation from the other side of the country whereas the chains are franchises owned by locals that area a part of the community.

Course I always go to local diners. I love dives.

I won't eat in a place where a reservation is necessary because I fail to see the point.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      I won't eat in a place where a reservation is necessary because I fail to see the point.
      Most times, I won't eat at those places either. Seriously, what's the point of making a reservation for 6, showing up at 6 (or earlier)...and then having to wait a half-hour for the table to open up?

But, I do try to avoid fast-food joints. I don't eat nearly as much McDonald's or BK as *some* people I work with. Not out of snobbery, but because I don't like feeling I just spent an hour lubricating the MGB's suspension

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
        But, I do try to avoid fast-food joints. I don't eat nearly as much McDonald's or BK as *some* people I work with. Not out of snobbery, but because I don't like feeling I just spent an hour lubricating the MGB's suspension
        I don't like a lot of fast food places either when I say dives or diners I mean locally owned places that actually know how to make a good burger.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I try to eat healthy. I'll have a sandwich, fruit and a milk. Yup I pour the milk into a small thermos. When I do go out and eat, I do try to eat healthy. But I will get a burger some times. I walk enough at work. I'll take my breaks and call my girlfriend and I'll walk around the lot. I do hate that someone will critizise me for what I eat. My girlfriend by the way, loves me the size that I am. But I still do try to eat healthy and excerise

Comment

What I can't stand is people who say to me "wow you and K have lost lots of weight, how did you do it!"
            When I say a healthy diet and excersise they wrinkle their noses and start lecturing/demanding to know our exact plan so they can then pull it apart and tell us how it just wont work long term....
            its been a year now and we are STILL slowly losing weight and getting in better and better shape, but because we dare eat a baked potato once in a while the evil carb monster is going to get us!!
            I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Mmmmm... Baked potatoes go reeaaal good with chili... (sorry flashback from an earlier post of mine...)

Comment

I have a co-worker who likes to brag about the fact that she doesn't eat fast food (except Subway occasionally) and never drinks sodas. Yet she says she doesn't trust people who don't drink (i.e. alcohol). She also drinks a lot of coffee.

One morning at around 9:00, I needed a caffeine boost and got a Mountain Dew out of one of the vending machines. When she saw that I was drinking that beverage at nine in the morning, her jaw literally hit the floor. Another time, she was going with me to pick up some pizzas for an event we were having at work, and she was talking about how she had some spinach under her desk that she was going to put on her pizza so she could get her vegetables in for the day. I pointed out that the sauce on the pizzas would also be a vegetable, and she declared that it wasn't. She said that if I was going to consider the sauce a vegetable I might as well consider ketchup a vegetable.

It's funny, because like some of the others mentioned in this thread, she likes to inspect what other people eat, when she has a few "unhealthy" tastes of her own. I put "unhealthy" in quotes because, let's be honest, nothing is healthy in excess, and many supposedly unhealthy items are fine in moderation.

Comment

Many times people will criticize you in order to draw attention away from their own faults, or to make themselves feel superior.

Tell her to MYOB. If you want to be polite, say Thank you first.

Comment

My mum can sometimes be like that; she's a health freak, and considers my diet to be really awful. Get this; she thinks this, based purely on the fact that I occasionally have junk food, eat a cake now and then and have ice cream every so often. I eat loads of fruit and veg and when I have time, I prefer to cook. To hear her talk sometimes, you'd think I was sitting down each night with a Big Mac in one hand and a cream cake in the other. -.- I don't see that there's anything wrong with a treat now and then; everything in moderation.
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

My mom was just at my place for a couple of days. I love her to death, but seriously, she picks at every last thing I eat health wise. I grabbed some orange juice instead of a water, she comments on it. I realize my diet isn't the best out there, but it's aggravating to not be comfortable eating around your own mother. She picks at my boyfriend about him drinking coke, because of his colitis, she would not believe him that it doesn't affect him.

Comment

We have a lot of potlucks at work and people always bringing food to share.

There was one night, oh god it was so good......I was one of the first in line and pretty much gorged myself.

Bear in mind, I work with a lot of overweight women who do nothing but sit all night.

I was smoking, and one of them came out and asked where my food was. I was about to tell her I already ate, but she immediately snipped "Bet ya didn't even eat, did you?" thankfully one of my coworkers stood up for me and said "No, she did, she ate a lot, actually," and the other lady just huffed and said "Yeah, a lot, like three bites?"

I'm not even that skinny. Thin, but not skinny. I do have several bounces to my steps. I'm not starving but I'm not overweight.

You lose either way. If I snack, they taunt me that I'll get fat. If I eat healthy, they make remarks about how I'm already skinny and don't need to watch my weight.

Fuck em all.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                          ...I was smoking, and one of them came out and asked where my food was. I was about to tell her I already ate, but she immediately snipped "Bet ya didn't even eat, did you?" thankfully one of my coworkers stood up for me and said "No, she did, she ate a lot, actually," and the other lady just huffed and said "Yeah, a lot, like three bites?"

You lose either way. If I snack, they taunt me that I'll get fat. If I eat healthy, they make remarks about how I'm already skinny and don't need to watch my weight.

Fuck em all.

God, I get that same shit when I go on break at work. I don't see how what one person eats should be of any concern to other people.

Hmm. Sometimes people make fun of me because I eat "untraditional" foods for breakfast. Stuff like pizza rolls, pastas, soup, leftovers from last night's dinner, etc. Usually with a can of pop to go with it. Honestly, I can't stand breakfasty-foods, except for bacon and some cereals. I have to be in the right mood for eggs, in which case I head over to Perkin's for an omelette

Comment

Cold pizza for breakfast is the BEST!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post

Fuck em all.

What's screwed up is that these are probably the same people that like me don't eat anymore than a naturally skinny person and deal with being told they need to eat less all the time.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Oh, they eat. They eat a lot. But I keep the comments to myself. Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite or be rude or insensitive.

It's totally ok that they make remarks about how much I eat/don't eat, or what I'm eating, but if I dared joke about them eating an entire ham or whatever have you, I'd be turned into HR and on my way out the door forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X