No announcement yet.

Krappy Karaoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Boozy. That's specifically why we operate the way we do. Yes it is about the crowd rather than the individual person, or cliche. No offense, but you don't pay us, the club pays us; and they pay us to sell.

Comment

Thank you Boozy and Hobbs.

While I'm not big on karaoke or bars that frequently do them, my bf and I have had to seek out a different bar to go to on the weekends because of the DJ that they have.

He must either work for free or for alcohol, because he's just obnoxious. Most DJs around here have a computer with all their tunes on it, he just has CDs, a lot of them which are scratched. He is obsessed with Lady Gaga. I swear, almost every other song he plays is Lady Gaga. One night in two hours, "Bad Romance" was played 3 times.

So he gets totally trashed and ignores almost every request, unless it's from a really drunk cute girl or if it's something HE likes.

And he's also obsessed with that god awful early to mid 90s rap and dance songs that we've all grown to tire of.....

Comment

I frequent Karaoke bars a lot and shows run like yours Hobbs would get me to stop coming. I goto karaoke bars to sing. If all I wanted to do was to drink, I'd go somewhere else. If I put a song in and 2 hours later I still haven't sung while some have been up there 3 or 4 times, I'll leave and not come back.

I know from running my own show that the crowd you bring in is what controls whether or not you've still got a show. Run the crowd off and the owner won't keep you around. Here in Vegas, if karaoke is upsetting the gamblers, the show will be cancelled. You have to find a balance to keep your crowd entertained and coming back.

What your dad does may work for him, but how much competition does he have?

CH
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
          No. First come first serve. Not everybody is going to be singing the same amount and if somebody puts their song in and waits a long time they shouldn't get bumped down because somebody who hasn't sung in a longer time, but hasn't been waiting either. Just because you think people want to hear you sing it doesn't mean you get to be bumped up before people who follow the procedure.
          <sigh>

Obviously EVERYONE didn't get it so I must have mistyped something.

What I'm getting at it is that some people, myself included, will put all the song they're gonna do in a night in a once, just to save time. However, just because you hand the KJ five notes with the songs on them doesn't mean you should be singing the next five songs in a row.

I didn't ask for any special treatment, or to get bumped up or anything like that. I just hate it when the person who just got to the bar is getting two or three songs ahead of me when I've been there and had my name in for a while.

Oh, is that too unfair!~?!?!?

And to clarify again: I NEVER said there was a problem with bad singers. I EVEN said, if someone was payign attention, that it's not all about singing great as it is at least trying.

The people I can't stand are the ones who don't even give a shit. They're not trying, they don't care, they just want to eat up a time slot so someone else can't sing. They're not funny, amusing, special, or cool. They just suck.

And finally there's nothing wrong with the "screaming" songs, and that's one of the reasons I do as well as I do. We have one guy who sings almost exclusively Journey songs. We have another guy who does a lot of oldies like chantilly lace or sea cruise and some elvis. Most everyone is doing either pop stuff like lady gaga or the old karaoke standards like love shack. Sometimes three or four people will do love shack in a night. It gets old.

I do Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, etc....it's a nice change and breath of fresh air for most people.
          Last edited by Boozy; 03-09-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            I frequent Karaoke bars a lot and shows run like yours Hobbs would get me to stop coming. I goto karaoke bars to sing. If all I wanted to do was to drink, I'd go somewhere else. If I put a song in and 2 hours later I still haven't sung while some have been up there 3 or 4 times, I'll leave and not come back.

I know from running my own show that the crowd you bring in is what controls whether or not you've still got a show. Run the crowd off and the owner won't keep you around. Here in Vegas, if karaoke is upsetting the gamblers, the show will be cancelled. You have to find a balance to keep your crowd entertained and coming back.

What your dad does may work for him, but how much competition does he have?

CH
            My dad has a lot of competition; and he's been in the business longer than most of us have been alive. He's a Hall of Fame inductee, he's played along with Tom Jones, Wayne Newton and others. He's a national recording artist. He knows a lot more than you do about this business.

Also, he wouldn't make someone wait two hours to sing; my point is that we won't let someone with 3-4 emo/screamo songs right after the other. That pretty much kills the mood.

Comment

Working...
            X