Fanclubs on CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
    <snip> ...we'd be hated and distrusted even more than we already are.
    Awww. I don't feel that way...

Although, frankly, I've been posting more here than on CS to get away from some of the "noise" that's been occurring...

I agree that the fanclub stuff gets silly. It started out as a funny joke and just got way out of hand. I wouldn't mind seeing a stop to it, but I know there isn't really anything to be done about it, so I just ignore it. If enough people ignore it, maybe it will stop.

If anyone makes me laugh, I like to tell them so. I don't publicly announce allegiences... *chuckle*
    "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
    "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
      Awww. I don't feel that way...

I agree that the fanclub stuff gets silly. It started out as a funny joke and just got way out of hand. I wouldn't mind seeing a stop to it, but I know there isn't really anything to be done about it, so I just ignore it. If enough people ignore it, maybe it will stop.

I agree with both points, DesignFox. I love the mods here, I think they work hard doing a difficult job. It's always harder to be an authority figure than it looks to those who are subject to them.

And I agree, I feel bad for our unnamed but obvious Mr. Fanclub. It did start out as a funny joke, and I even joined in, originally, on the joke, with my own post or two. He was embarrassed but took it in stride. Unfortunately, it didn't die, as a good joke should, but snowballed, and now I don't even read the rest of his threads, just his first post. Personally, if I were him I'd post myself, demanding a stop to it, but I don't think I'm as nice as he is. I too, ignore it.

Perhaps he and a mod can figure out a strategy together for dealing with the issue.

Comment

There's no easy strategy we know of. A mod joined in the last time and had to put out the word that it was becoming unwelcome, and that caused no end of upset. If you have any ideas that we haven't thought of, I'd love to hear them.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

The "unnamed" member in question has twice posted that the fanclub nonsense annoys and embarrasses, and is a detraction from the threads.

I think it does the members an injustice to put them on ignore or hold them to blame if others begin to start some type of idol worship.
          It's not their fault.

On the other hand, as I said before, if they do encourage it and begin to show signs that they feel they have some inside track to start posting whatever they want and feel they will remain unchecked out of some misguided notion that they are the reason people visit and stay with the site, then we have a problem.

I haven't seen that from anyone so far, but the potential for that scenario is always there.

There might be one or two who got put on that pedestal very early on, and I have read a few of their later posts with a jaded eye because they seemed embellished a bit, as if geared to elicit the same response. That's just my opinion, though, and I may very well be wrong in that.

I would hate to discourage positive feedback from the members. That's what we are all about, after all - supporting each other and offering feedback.

A little healthy adoration is nice, but rabid fandom hurts. Others become jealous because they feel that their own threads are ignored and they take it out on the member who is being worshipped.
          The member becomes discouraged because they have taken the time to write an entertaining post, only to have the thread go ridiculously off the rails.

I think the change needs to come from among the members. They need to look at the type of feedback they are offering and ask themselves if it is adding to the thread or detracting from it. Are they defeating the point of the thread by taking the focus off the topic itself and putting it on the member instead?
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
            I think the change needs to come from among the members. They need to look at the type of feedback they are offering and ask themselves if it is adding to the thread or detracting from it. Are they defeating the point of the thread by taking the focus off the topic itself and putting it on the member instead?
            Yeah, but will that ever happen? I myself rarely post in said unnamed member's threads for the very reasons discussed here on this board ( and because I hardly ever have anything to post relating to said member's threads ), but I can't see that happening amongst everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by theredbaron47 View Post
              Yeah, but will that ever happen?
              If it doesn't, then we just accept that there are always going to be adoring and vocal fans and move on.

We just continue as we are now and avoid the thread beyond the OP and ignore the fanclub stuff.
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                There might be one or two who got put on that pedestal very early on, and I have read a few of their later posts with a jaded eye because they seemed embellished a bit, as if geared to elicit the same response. That's just my opinion, though, and I may very well be wrong in that.
                I don't think you're wrong. I think I know exactly who you mean, and I smell a rat every time they post.

I have been extremely tempted to call shenanigans in these threads, but I'm leery. I don't know what the reaction from other members would be if I called someone out publicly, no matter how politely I worded my response.

Such is the danger of fan clubs, I suppose.

Comment

I've considered calling them out and I know the flaming I'll get but ffs they aren't holding CS up. It's Raps who's holding it up with HIS money. And Boozy, no offense to most of the members but the response you'd get would be tame compared to Manchester United board on BigSoccer, they literally attack each other in there if one person so much as disagrees with a substitution.

But it's silly and stupid. All it is writing and wit.
                  "You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism."

Comment

Originally posted by ArenaBoy View Post
                    But it's silly and stupid. All it is writing and wit.
                    And mildly annoying, if I'm in a less than pleasant mood.

Comment

It's kind of funny, really. I just chalk it up to certain people in serious need of a life.

Comment

Maybe a little public "outing" would do it some good?

Comment

Working...
                        X