I live in country + Like guns = I have problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in country + Like guns = I have problems

I live in the country, I like to go shoot guns its legal, I spend $20-30 a week on handgun ammunition because until about the start of this month and when it was announced that Obama won. There was a run on ammo, you couldn't just walk into walmart and purchase a be able to purchase any caliber like the good old days. Many people stockpiled for fear of what Obama would do creating shortages, to the point walmart limits customers to 6 boxes a day because for about 6months to a year people could EASILY, buy a $10 box of ammo and sell it for $30-40 no questions asked or haggling at a gun show/store.
    SO, I would purchase ammo when it was in-stock because it could be 1week to 3months until they got another shipment. Now, my local walmart's has decent supply for 9mm and .40 on the shelves for the past week or two. still a crap shoot on .45, 38 special, .357 mag and HAHA haven't seen a box of .380 in 2 months and they get shipped out by the BOX not case to the stores.

I recently as in 2 days ago picked up my Concealed Handgun License(CHL) after taking 10hrs of classroom training and 2 hrs of range time to become certified then going to sheriff for background check. total of about $200.

The thing i hate is people who look at me like im a manic because I choose to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. Which I get at work I shouldn't probably mention my shooting habit but hey, best friend graduated police academy and wants to stay in practice. Also, I only mention guns to people I know are pro-gun or let them bring it up because well MANY of our customers are "redneck" as a coworker suggests of me.

It really started because I'm very familiar with Ohio's gun laws and what I can or can't do. Like for instance open carry is legal no permit needed and my one manager is a jackass for suggesting we call the police on a customer who was OCing since ONE it is legal, and TWO we aren't posted! WE do have a COMPANY policy for EMPLOYEES against having weapons but nothing of customers. He needed to google Ohio Revised Code to find out i was right and actually knew what I was talking about. Along with a random woman asking me why I wasn't bothered by that man "running around with a loaded gun" I calmly explained that he meant no harm to either of us and well if anyone in the store was intending to rob me armed citizens are more convincing deterrents that the obvious cop car if it parked out front.

I live in northern Ohio, friend came up from Southern Ohio brought WW2 rifle for me to experience, great time mentioned it to a few people, when they asked why I was sun burned. Also, as I stated I know which customers are pro-gun, generally any marine, even the 80yr old guy will appreciate firearms. For people, I have no idea who they are I just don't mention. Well a regular who I speak with often enough about various firearms came in and I shared the new story along with a picture of results to a coffee can that a cantaloupe was placed on, and he was mentioning selling his AR15. When another customer came over and joined our conversation, about some of his "toys" (hate to refer to guns as toys but eh, his words). My coworker emerged from the back at this point and was like WTF why do you talk to random people about guns. I really think he needs to work 3rd shift during hunting season, he would quickly learn how many people who aren't cops own guns. And it is nice to talk on a common ground with customers about something other than gas prices or weather. I also know my management would shit themselves if I informed them of just the customers I KNOW have CHLs and carry on a regular basis.

It just pisses me off when people who have never shot a gun and refuse to, treat me like I'm some militia extremist considering (I don't even own an assault rifle) but keep 3 guns in my room (12 ga shotgun, .22 rifle, 9mm handgun). Yet if I mention my dad is a cop they seem to not freak out as much when I continue the list.

Then there is my friend who yelled at me for shopping with my gun the other day after I got my CHL, I didn't go anywhere guns weren't welcomed and there are certain parts of the city I just feel safer knowing I can protect myself. Especially with the fact the major city by us is back and forth with laying off police and where i live in the country the sheriff is pulling out of and well considering the response time is 30min when they 3miles down the road, I can't imagine what going to happen when they on other side of county with fewer numbers.

I have never understood the anti-gun crowd either. I choose not to own a firearm, because I do not trust myself. I know that I have paranoid moments where it is much better for me not to be carrying a lethal weapon. I do support stringent gun control laws (mandatory background checks, mandatory training and testing, mandatory registration of firearms... which oddly no one bitches about having to do all of the above with cars), but I would never support a ban on guns.
    Hey, if you can pass the test and you are a responsible citizen and you desire to carry a firearm, more power to you, don't let my squeemishness get in the way.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
      I do support stringent gun control laws (mandatory background checks, mandatory training and testing, mandatory registration of firearms... which oddly no one bitches about having to do all of the above with cars

the only thing on this list many gun owners, including myself, have an issue with(and rightfully so*) is mandatory registration of firearms. The reason being lists of registered firearms have been used to seize legally owned firearms from law-abiding citizens. Lists were used in the soviet union, and Germany to disarm the "undesireables" before sending them to concentration camps, and they were used in the US post-Katrina-which some of those people are still fighting to get their legally owned property back. If it happened then it could happen again-mind you the local police used the government backed National guard to carry out the seizures-there was no justification to do so, the only firearms seized were those legally registered, and the criminals doing the looting and firing at aid workers did not own registered firearms-all it did was eliminate the public ability to protect themselves when the police were not able to do so.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

There is nothing to say that lists won't be misused, but there are several valid reasons for a registration, not the least of which being tracking lost/stolen guns. How else do you prove someone has a stolen gun without there being some oh so evil list out there somewhere that shows who rightfully owns it? Also, knowing that the gun can be traced back to you gives A LOT of incentive to keep track of it. I know if I had a gun that could be traced back to me there is no way in hell that I'm going to allow it to get lost and making damned sure I do everything I can to prevent it getting stolen, which would in turn help reduce the amount of firearms that are circulating illegally (as my understanding is that most of them are stolen). It of course won't put an end to gun theft, but it provides much greater incentive to at the very least be mindful of where it is so that it gets reported sooner. None of the valid and useful reasons for a registry are dependent on the negative aspects of it.
        Using the Nazi aspect isn't really valid... as it is that I'm one of the people who would have been rounded up by the Nazis, I know all the well the consequences of allowing totalitarionism, and I would still have no problem registering my firearm (if I had one), no more than I mind registering my car. We should not ignore the good for fear of the bad.

Comment

Using the Nazi aspect isn't really valid... as it is that I'm one of the people who would have been rounded up by the Nazis, I know all the well the consequences of allowing totalitarionism, and I would still have no problem registering my firearm (if I had one), no more than I mind registering my car. We should not ignore the good for fear of the bad.
          My demography would have been rounded up too. I'm really tired of people who keep using the statement you just made.

Comment

I don't use guns but that's because I'm a horrible shot. (I could take a shotgun, point it to my monitor now, pull the trigger and I'd miss). If I was a better shot I'm sure I'd have my own now (especially considering where I live) but we have protection trained dogs and I sleep with a sharpened sword under my bed and whenever I'm out walking the dogs I have pepper spray with me.

But FL has similar laws - only a background check to purchase and carry a gun but some training to get a CWP. I don't have an issue with people who want to pack heat - in fact, for Christmas my father in law bought my wife a gun (a nice one, too - .38 Special) and she's getting her CWP - I may get mine, too since it can transition to a gun permit in most states (and another CWP in many states). I used to see people packing heat in the stores. It doesn't bother me as long as they're RESPONSIBLE. Flaunthing it around and showing it off to a group of strangers IS NOT.

My wife's family was also taught how to use a gun when each child turned 12 (they were never allowed gun toys since guns aren't toys and my father in law is an avid gun collector). For their 12th birthday they'd get a gun but also a lock and a cleaning kit. He'd have them learn how to service it, take it apart, put it together, different types of ammunition, etc.. and after all that was done he'd take them to his gun club to teach them how to shoot.

People need to realize that not everyone who carrys a gun isn't a militia maniac, a murder, or some gun freak. Most have it as a deterrent or even protection (and considering how the economy is now you need it more than ever).

People also need to learn that gun laws will do very little for crime, if anything it will increase crime since people who do abide by the laws may not be able to get a gun.

Comment

Using the Nazi aspect isn't really valid...
              wasn't aware Russia was full of nazis or new orleans circa 2005-do like how you picked out one of three though

as it is that I'm one of the people who would have been rounded up by the Nazis,
              Good for you, my family tree has many gaps because well, members of my family DID GET ROUNDED UP and exterminated, not just "might have been"-feel better now-I'm jewish. It is much easier to hide a sexual orientation than it is to hide a religion or heritage. Not like there was a list of people belonging to the gay club, but there were lists of temple members.

We should not ignore the good for fear of the bad.
              And those that give up liberty for safety-deserve neither.

Liberty-freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control.
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

We're not ignoring the good over the bad, we're saying that the bad is pretty freaking bad, enough so to address in some way at least. And it was with the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 which prohibits the confiscation of legally owned firearms during a disaster. Whether or not this prevents said authorities from trying something similar in the future remains to be seen.
                All units: IRENE
                HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

And those that give up liberty for safety-deserve neither.

Liberty-freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control.
                  and who said that you have to give up liberty to get safety?
                  Just because Nazis and Russians and Americans in the past did something does in no way mean that it necessarily will happen in the future.

And Hobbs, you're right, people pointing out they would have been rounded up by the Nazis does get old... perhaps it would be best if we left the actions of the Nazis out of American politics.

Comment

And Hobbs, you're right, people pointing out they would have been rounded up by the Nazis does get old... perhaps it would be best if we left the actions of the Nazis out of American politics.
                    Even though there may be similarities that are present or beginning to appear?

Comment

Also, isn't learning from the past a good thing?

Past events may not happen again necessarily, but they are an indication that something similar can happen, and it pays to either be ready them, work to prevent them, or both.
                      All units: IRENE
                      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                        Also, isn't learning from the past a good thing?

Past events may not happen again necessarily, but they are an indication that something similar can happen, and it pays to either be ready them, work to prevent them, or both.
                        indeed learning from the past is good, however, most mention of Nazism is to generate a knee jerk emotional response.

Comment

I actually didn't know about the new Orleans thing, although I did hear looters were shooting at cops and OH yeah many cops abandoned their posts, which sucks for those we then were completely defenseless. I don't like the idea of having to register my weapons especially with all the bullshit freedom of information requests done by the media, like when they published the list of everyone from our county who had a concealed carry and hence most likely has a gun that you might be able to steal from them. SO I could imagine, if criminals were to find out who had what registered where, and i don't like the idea of someone relieving me of my gun safe when I would leave for work.

Also, I'm pretty much willing to teach anyone I know to shoot because the sooner they learn guns aren't to be feared for being guns the sooner I can hear them quit bitching about guns. There is only one guy that pisses me off for owning a gun because he bought it never having shot a gun before, and was putting off coming to my house to learn till he bought one, still doesn't really know shit but is at least sort of competent. I use that phrase because I went over to his house and the gun was laying on his headboard with a magazine half inserted and I asked "WTF?". His reasoning was he didn't want it to be accidentally loaded if someone came over and saw it. To which I said "Ok that makes perfect sense actually." At this point he got pissed off when I grabbed the gun did a Tap, Rack,and Yell bang while pointing at his alarm clock. "See the problem I just demonstated any dumb fuck you know that is gonna to shoot themselves with your gun if it is loaded is going to tap the mag into it and then rack the slide chambering a round. You have several options, keep the mag loaded and OUT OF THE GUN, keep the mag loaded and in the gun, keep the mag unloaded and in the gun. or sell me your gun because you don't need it."

Oh, almost forgot he then had to ask me how were gonna get the bullet out of the chamber without firing it. <-ok legitimate question but one that should ahve been known before using the gun and certainly before loading it.

Comment

I'm nervous around guns, I am not against them (I went to a day camp as a kid where we where taught to shot rifels...fun!) I just hate all lough noise, and while I do know there is a very little chance the gun near me will go off, it's that...oh crap, possible loud noise thing.

I've never seen anyone carrying in CT, I think I'd make me uncomfortable, but hey, if they can legally carry, its their choice.

Now, I love knive of all sorts, and usually have a small knife on my person. (my fave one is a wee bit too big )

Comment

I'm terribly nervous around guns, too. Probably because I have no experience with them.

The only times I've ever seen a handgun in real life is in cops' holsters. I've never seen one drawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X