No announcement yet.

I live in country + Like guns = I have problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time I joke about "I need to get a gun" (although I really, really should), I always get some sort of flack from someone who has to educate me about how evil guns are and how don't I know that you can't carry guns around with you and you are teh stupid!!!.....oh jeebus christ most of the time it's a joke, and if I did get a gun, I would not take it anywhere with me other than to the shooting range. Maybe it's not the brightest idea to joke about, but I'd rather have one here at home and NEVER need it, than be stuck running around trying to find something to defend myself with before someone bashes in my windows or bashes down the door. You just never know.

Comment

I sometimes have to control my rants about which gun I'm gonna buy once I get my CC license. I'd seriously not wanna get a cheapy...I have a fondness for Sig Sauer, especially the P239 and 226. Walthers are nice too. I like the P239 b/c you can buy a conversion assembly to make it fire .357 or .40 S&W.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        .... but I'd rather have one here at home and NEVER need it, than be stuck running around trying to find something to defend myself with before someone bashes in my windows or bashes down the door. You just never know.
        Ever watch a horror movie? First off they run past the open front door and run into a closed off part of the house and try and call the cops. Only reason for me to do that is well I have a gun and if your trying to kill me the 9mm is just to hold you off long enough to the 12ga loaded with 3in 00BK that sent a pumpkin flying 80ft with 5 seconds of hangtime. I believe that would be more than enough to hold off several intruders. If not I would be in gun safe and grabbing wide assortment.

Comment

A probably somewhat famous person once said that "A pistol is what you use to fight your way to a rifle."
          And that's why I want to get a SBR, if there's one thing that defeats the purpose of using a weapon during a home invasion, it's trying to use something longer than your doorways are wide.

That aside, you should see the reaction when a city-dweller like myself comes out in support of guns, it's like, "but you live in a CITY, don't you know that guns are BAD?!??!"
          All units: IRENE
          HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
            but I'd rather have one here at home and NEVER need it, than be stuck running around trying to find something to defend myself with before someone bashes in my windows or bashes down the door. You just never know.
            well if you do decide pm me I know of a range(it's in the basement of a gun store) between you and me that lets you rent any of the used handguns they have-sort of a "try before you buy" which is quite important-for example I can easily shoot my .40 cal, but my husband can barely handle the kick from a 9mm-he does better with a .22-so it's good to get a feel of what you can handle before spending a couple hundred dollars on something.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I have no problems with people that feel free to exercise their rights granted by the Second Amendment. I have issues with how that Amendment is interpreted sometimes, but that's for a different thread that probably has been created and closed many times over. I'm too lazy to search for that right now. With that said, I myself own a 9mm handgun and a .22 caliber rifle.

Touching on points brought up by the OP.
              Open Carry - People get nervous when firearms are carried in public due to fear. Hollywood has sensationalized so much that people don't know if you're a law abiding citizen, a wannabe cowboy, or some gangsta thug ready to pop a cap in some foo.

Registration - As others have pointed out, registration is used to track stolen firearms as well as making sure that people that shouldn't have them, don't.

CH
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Where's your proof that OC will make people nervous?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  Where's your proof that OC will make people nervous?
                  I did mention the site of people carrying would make me nervous (again, I am not against guns, I did enjoy shooting the rifles at camp, and would visit a range). I hate loud noises, and guns=potential loud noise.

Yes, I am aware that chance that gun will go off is very very very very little, but it still makes me nervous. But that is just me.

As long as it legal, do what you want to do. Now, I am going to make sure I packed my knives for my hiking trip (shiny....pretty....)

Comment

Count me as another person who is uncomfortable with open carry. I didn't realize we were back in the Wild West, where we all had to carry a penis extension firearm to feel safe

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      Count me as another person who is uncomfortable with open carry. I didn't realize we were back in the Wild West, where we all had to carry a penis extension firearm to feel safe
                      I never thought of it that way, it literally didn't occur to me that all our police officers were impotent jackasses whose weapons are unnecessary. Oh well, I guess we should do away with them as well!
                      All units: IRENE
                      HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I get nervous around anyone carrying a gun, cops included, but that's because of my training and knowing exactly how easy it is to disarm someone, and also the one simple fact that guns are meant to kill, plain and simple, they have no other purpose.
                        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat View Post
                          I did mention the site of people carrying would make me nervous (again, I am not against guns, I did enjoy shooting the rifles at camp, and would visit a range). I hate loud noises, and guns=potential loud noise.

Yes, I am aware that chance that gun will go off is very very very very little, but it still makes me nervous. But that is just me.

As long as it legal, do what you want to do. Now, I am going to make sure I packed my knives for my hiking trip (shiny....pretty....)
                          Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          Sorry, but two people on an internet forum isn't a valid argument to say "people" are afraid of open-carry laws.

No one's saying everyone has to carry, Admin.

Comment

Society became the Wild Wild West again when outlaws decided to tote guns around wherever they desired, the law be damned, and mentally ill people started stalking innocent people and criminals and other undesireables started randomly breaking in to just about anyone's home to steal anything of any value, or randomly starting problems with people that lead to violence and death.

If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them.

The locals around here started calling a home invasion/robbing spree this one guy did "The Robbery Crusades" because for several weeks, almost months, he broke in to several homes in several areas of several towns, stealing anything of any value he could find. It didn't matter what kind of neighborhood or part of town it was. His favorite place was the city my parents live in, and I worried every day that he'd break into their house.

I will accept that I cannot have a gun with me on my person or in my car, but damn if anyone will stop me from having pepperspray or a knife. I will openly admit I'd get a taser gun if I could get my hands on one. There are too many unstable people in any area of any place to take chance. Sure, some of it is hysteria and paranoia stirred by the news, some of it is real and based off of stuff that has happened in your own city or neighborhood or even to YOU. I have had multiple stalkers. I would have felt a lot more safe had I had a gun in my apartment, or at the time had always had a knife on me. And damn if anyone will keep me from having a gun in my home. If anything, that's the most important place.

I don't push others to own guns, I just hate when people try to make me out to be a paranoid freak or a dumb redneck for being in favor of them.

Comment

Blas, you can get a taser, just not the pistol-type the police use.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.itaser.com/product_tour.html

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                                and who said that you have to give up liberty to get safety?
                                Just because Nazis and Russians and Americans in the past did something does in no way mean that it necessarily will happen in the future.

And Hobbs, you're right, people pointing out they would have been rounded up by the Nazis does get old... perhaps it would be best if we left the actions of the Nazis out of American politics.
                                the Liberty quote was made, if I remember correctly, was none other than Ben Franklin

here is the entire quote and a bunch of paraphrased quotes
                                They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

This was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, as published in Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin (1818). A variant of this was published as:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

This was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759); the book was published by Franklin; its author was Richard Jackson, but Franklin did claim responsibility for some small excerpts that were used in it.

An earlier variant by Franklin in Poor Richard's Almanack (1738): "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."
                                The saying has also appeared in many paraphrased forms:

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.

He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.

He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

If we restrict liberty to attain security we will lose them both.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither.

Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.
                                here is the wikiquote page that comes from.
                                http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

the liberty quote is about 1/3 of the way down.

and again I remind everyone what George Carlin said in his last concert
                                "Right are just a set of temporary privliages. and rights are not 'rights' if they can be taken away on a whim".

oh and the Nazi thing, it is STILL very much alive a kickin here in the US and Europe. not that they call themselves Nazis but the message and the signage is a very very similiar one.

This next statement applies very much to the US:
                                I guess we should talk to the Irish or the Germans or or the Italians or the Jews or the French (remember Freedom Fries from 9 years ago??) or the Blacks or Hispanics, or the gays or the trans-gendered or the Natives of ANY COUNTRY after colonialism (even AFTER they were "set" free") and see what they say about discrimination and the statement "NO we will NEVER do that again". yeah what a joke that is.

look at Arizona (a created problem dating back to the 19th Century not a recent thing)
                                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                                X