People who post in horrid colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
    I don't see why the opinion of "if you don't like it, don't read it or highlight it" works. What if I put something offensive in my signature, or had an obscene picture for my avvie? Could say the same; "If you don't like my sig/av, then don't read it/look at it."
    Your really comparing offensive sigs and obscene pictures with the color of text?

Really? How are the two even in the same realm of being deemed offensive?

It's a text color.

Seeing as people complain about the text being unreadable, it's really a choice to VIEW it at that point with highlighting, as compared to being forced to see offensive all the time if you had it as an avatar or in your sig.
    Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
    I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Not really. If someone has their text in an obnoxious colour, then you have no choice but to view it. However, on a lot of forums, there's the option of turning off sigs/avvies.

I'd say the same goes for typing LiKe ThIs, using excessive chatspeak, stealing the Great Wall of China and posting massive text that forces people to scroll accross to read. Rightly or wrongly, doing these things will make people either a) think that you're an imbecile or b) ignore your posts. And if you're on a debating site, then you obviously don't want either.

Edit: As I said earlier, I do NOT see the goldenrod as being obnoxious. -.- Then again, I have default setting. If you're going to set the forum to white setting, when another person is on default, then I'd agree with Plaid to put up or shut up. But if the font colour is obnoxious on default, that's when it becomes a problem. Like this for example.
      Last edited by Lace Neil Singer; 09-07-2010, 01:59 AM.
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I guess I'll just stick with the default color, and Jack I'm sorry I keep forgetting not everybody has the black background.
        "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Thanks. I hope you don't feel targeted, though. I didn't mean to do that, just to rant at the issue in general.

Comment

I did at first but I had time to cool off at work, but we're cool now right?

Comment

Lace: I mean the text was unviewable in the blue background, and alot of people had to highlight it to view it, not having a viewable text color is only annoying in the fact one has to highlight it, it's not forced to be seen.

But I do agree about having annoying colors that are forced on you.
              Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
              I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

I've had similar complaints in the past, would it be possible to add a setting to override the different fonts colors and sizes people use and just see the default font color and size for all posts no matter what they posted?

Comment

Yeah Sarah, no worries.

Comment

That's actually a good idea.

Comment

To me, it's way more annoying when certain members cannot spell or use proper grammar to save their own lives. Those are the posts/replies I skip right over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        I don't see why the opinion of "if you don't like it, don't read it or highlight it" works. What if I put something offensive in my signature, or had an obscene picture for my avvie? Could say the same; "If you don't like my sig/av, then don't read it/look at it."
                        That's not really the same at all. You don't know someone's signature is offensive until you've read it: therefore, you cannot rationally say "don't read it if it offends you." The same with a picture: by the time you know it's something you don't want to see, you've already seen it. On the other hand, while *reading* a block of miscolored text can be painful, merely seeing the color and scrolling past it isn't.

I agree, though, that seeing posts in custom colors or fonts for no apparent reason gives the impression that you're just trying to call attention to yourself. That's not always really the case, of course, and it's best not to assume and all that, but the impression is still there.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

On the forum that I mentioned earlier, I'm an admin. We have a rule about using brightly coloured font and humungeous font in posts; it's generally forbidden, but people can do whatever they want in their sigs. When we put that rule into place and enforced it, a lot of people were unhappy, but soon came round to our way of thinking.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                          X