breast cancer vs heart disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    ETA: BK, what most of your figures show that breast cancer patients are older than other cancer patients. So....they're less deserving of a cure because they're OLD?
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, myself.

However, I do find it more tragic when cancer takes the life of a 20 year-old than when it takes the life of a 60 year-old. The 60 year-old has at least had the opportunity to live a little, travel, have children and maybe grandchildren, learn about whatever interests them. The 20 year-old never had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      Just for clarification, what is crap?
      My not being allowed to run cos I'm male
      I don't believe in gender discrimination, if you wish to run in support of a charity your gender should not matter one damn bit.

Originally posted by boozy
      However, I do find it more tragic when cancer takes the life of a 20 year-old than when it takes the life of a 60 year-old. The 60 year-old has at least had the opportunity to live a little, travel, have children and maybe grandchildren, learn about whatever interests them. The 20 year-old never had a chance.
      Had my mother died of breast cancer at the median age of death-well she's not even 68 yet-I'm 34-I am perfectly able to care for myself
      Had my father died at the median age for testicular cancer I would've been 6-yeah not so able to take care of myself.

Originally posted by AdminAssistant
      BK, what most of your figures show that breast cancer patients are older than other cancer patients. So....they're less deserving of a cure because they're OLD?
      Prostrate cancer has a higher death rate and higher incidence rate than breast cancer(and that's not anything you can do a self-check on). Do we have a prostate cancer awareness month? Nope. And as has been previously stated prostate cancer receives 1% of the funding breast cancer does. Are men less deserving of a cure because they're men?

Originally posted by AdminAssistant
      As I asked earlier, please don't patronize me or my mother by saying that "breasts are not important and you can always buy new ones".
      Sorry for paraphrasing my cousin* who died because her doctor thought saving her breasts was more important than saving her life-and for the record my broadway actress cousin(if a broadway actress is unconcerned about her appearance....well I'm not going to argue with her) had 5 surgeries, and 6 rounds of chemo and still the doctors refused to remove her breasts because they were "too important"-at least your mother is still alive-my cousin would be 39 this year-she died after a 4 year battle-but hey at least she didn't lose her breasts right? Yup she looked fantastic in her casket-36DDs still intact. No lymph nodes left, part of her lung and liver missing but great boobs. That's all that matters right? she still had her boobs.

Remember I'm in the process of trying to find a doctor to take out my uterus due to a very high risk of uterine cancer in my family-Or is my uterus somehow "less feminine" than breasts. Being as how it is the only thing women have that men don't. If it was a risk of breast cancer I'd be getting rid of those as well-I'm not that superficial as to care what someone thinks of my breasts or lack thereof; meaning if someone is that concerned with my physical appearance I'd rather not know that person-I'd rather be healthy and alive, than have nice boobs and dead like Kristen. My husband feels the same way. I am not my breasts, they are merely a physical attribute, just like my hair, or height, they have no affect on my personality or who I am-if I lost them today I would be no different in any manner but physical appearance-so no they are not important-non-vital fatty tissue with some modified sweat glands. Does cutting my hair or wearing heels to be taller affect who I am?

*her exact words when it was confirmed as cancer "take 'em off, I'll buy new ones, I always wanted to be a B cup anyway"

ETA: my boyfriend in highschool was a cancer survivor-football player, lost his scholarship to college when they took his LEG, not a non-vital lump of fatty tissue, his LEG, he was in a wheelchair for over a year-he became the assistant coach for the Jr. high football team. We started dating when he got out of the hospital-his previous GF dumped him because he was no longer a football player. He never bothered feeling sorry for himself, he was glad to be alive-until he was killed by a drunk driver coming to see me, he wanted to take me to a school dance because he had just gotten his new leg.
      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

BK, I'm sorry that you're cousin had a dickhead doctor who wouldn't do as she asked. Of course a mastectomy should be performed with aggressive cancers. It could've been avoided with Mom, but she wanted the mastectomy. What I'm saying is that there is an emotional trauma for some/most women.

I still support breast cancer research and awareness. Everyone has the freedom to support the causes that they see fit. And I have a strong enough sense of self-preservation to want to find a cure or better treatments for a disease that I am very likely to get.

Comment

Of course a mastectomy should be performed with aggressive cancers.
          Well, with aggressive *breast* cancers Wouldn't do a lot of good to do a mastectomy to treat, say, brain cancer.

This whole conversation just seems bizarre, though. There's nothing stopping people from getting together and organizing similar campaigns for anything, and arguing over which kind of cancer is worse is very much like arguing over whether you'd rather be shot in the head or hanged.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            I don't believe in gender discrimination, if you wish to run in support of a charity your gender should not matter one damn bit.
            If they change their stance I might change mine, as it stands they don't want my help in the race they aint getting my help with the dosh.
            if anyone asks if I'll give to cancer I'll just tell em they've already had my parents and walk away/shut the door.

Comment

Ginger Tea:

Feel free to give to cancer organisations that haven't offended you. Or, you know, to give to any other charity!

My opinion: pick which charity/charities you want to give time &/or money to. Do so. Tell the rest that you've already donated.

You don't have to say WHO you donated to!

Comment

in the UK I can't think of any other than Cancer Research, when I still lived oop norf, I used to give to the hospice my father stayed in.

I steer clear of somebodys name trust, as I have no idea what the money is going towards

Comment

Working...
                X