No announcement yet.

Selective memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah. Some things make more sense now. I'll admit, I check recent posts when I see a member has been banned. It never even occurred to me that the offending posts were either removed or cleaned up.

Comment

• Another week, another self destruction!

We had a fairly new member who didn't seem to be raising any major red flags.
      The new member moderation lifted, and things seemed fine.

Granted, there were a few early posts that caused a bit of concern. Two were along the "FTSTS" line, and the other was a post that was generalizing a certain group of automobile owners in a negative light.
      Other than that, there were no other concerns.

Then, today, there was a fratching type post.

The post was removed.

The next thing we knew, the member was posting a note on their profile page with a listing of the last 7 people to visit that profile. Based on the fact that the majority of those 7 people who had visited just happened to be mods, the member then edited their profile to list their activities as "Being targeted by mods."

Interesting thing about the assumption that was made - there are no date and time stamps on that "Last 7 visitors" area.
      The member had been around for just over a month.
      The mods could have visited that profile at any point in the past month, and based on the fact that there had been prior problems with some posts, it was only natural that we would have visited.
      There was no targeting going on.
      Quite truthfully, I don't even remember visiting the member's profile, so it had to have been right after the member joined.
      I probably saw them listed as a new member, and went to check to make sure they weren't a spammer.
      (If the member had bothered to visit any other profile for a new member, they probably would have seen that there would be mods listed among the last 7 visitors to those profiles as well.)

All of this was done while the problematic post was still being discussed by the mods, and the mod who originally caught the reported post was still working out how to word a PM to the member.

Unfortunately, things just spiralled down so quickly that the member ended up banned.
      Last edited by Ree; 01-28-2011, 12:30 AM.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

• Conversely, the day prior to this - a mod had to PM another long standing member about a very problematic post that was made. The post was MUCH more controversial and had HUGE drama potential.

However, this particular member chose to respond to our PM in a gracious, apologetic and genuinely remorseful fashion.

Receiving a reply like the one I just referenced even further illustrates the utter insanity that some members will resort to when confronted.

It really is unfortunate that a website dedicated to venting about SC's has some of the most SC behavior I've witnessed in a long time.

Thank goodness the vast majority of our members are wonderful....it's just so frustrating when a handful of drama queens and kings get a bug up their ass over such trivial matters and end up causing such turmoil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
          Conversely, the day prior to this - a mod had to PM another long standing member about a very problematic post that was made. The post was MUCH more controversial and had HUGE drama potential.

However, this particular member chose to respond to our PM in a gracious, apologetic and genuinely remorseful fashion.
          Oh yeah.
          That was so great!

I developed so much more respect for that member based on that interaction. (I already held that member in high regard, but it shot up a whole lot more points. )
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

• Ironically, while that user was busily losing his shit over the fact that "some mods looked at me", I was posting in the mod area "I just looked at that guy's profile and I don't think there's a problem with him."

Comment

• And the really sad part is that this former member has registered again under new names at least 3 times so far tonight.

I suspect it's just to be a nuisance and continue to poke the sticks at the mods, but all it's really done is prove they have no life.
              Point to Ponder:

Comment

• GAH! Whom is this so called member? I'm curious as to what he said in profile notes...
                Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
                I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ree View Post
                  continue to poke the sticks at the mods, but all it's really done is prove they have no life.
                  And has also caused the mods to point and laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Plaidman View Post
                    GAH! Whom is this so called member?
                    I think you realize the point of the thread isn't really to name names.
                    The members may be gone, but publicly naming them for their "suckiness" doesn't really accomplish anything or add to the thread, and I think it would just seem petty.

What the person posted was pretty much what I said.
                    They were claiming to be targeted by the mods for no apparent reason.

I believe I was insulted, but that's not really the point, nor the exact reason for the banning.

There has just been a lot of the same type of things going on lately.
                    Point to Ponder:

Comment

• *looks at CS profile*

Oh, noes! A mod has visited my profile sometime in the last 10 visitors! I'm being targeted! 9.9

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        *looks at CS profile*

Oh, noes! A mod has visited my profile sometime in the last 10 visitors! I'm being targeted! 9.9

^-.-^
                        Yes, ma'am. Now please proceed to post passive aggressive comments in your 'about me' area and visitors page.

Comment

• Found an email from someone peeved with me today on an account I check rarely. Apparently he feels unwelcome at the site.

The fact that we banned him and he knows full well the reason why should have been a bit of a clue. He tried to contact me almost a month to the day from when he tried (according to IP addresses) to hack my admin account on CS.com - this last part being after the ban. He invoked Godwin on this (both Nazis and Stormtroopers). Oh, and apparently he speaks on behalf of all the community. Everyone? You've got an advocate!

I'm not actually certain I can see the point of his emails.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

• Raps, you got one of mine from another forum I believe . Not that he was banned, oh no..or heaven forbid even moderated. Other mods keep throwing me under the bus there when I try to moderate..anyhow. Sounds just like one of the ones that recently 'left' for a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                              Now please proceed to post passive aggressive comments in your 'about me' area and visitors page.
                              Sorry; I don't do passive-aggressive. You'll just have to write me up for it.

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                              Other mods keep throwing me under the bus there when I try to moderate..anyhow.
                              Why do you stay a moderator there?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• It is a different system then these forums. We have certain sections we moderate, and besides the one section...called other side of the monitor..I enjoy being a Moderator. Our Admin is MIA for the most part, so my name is pretty much stuck on that section for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X