X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad weather-blizzards

no I'm not talking a little rain or snow here. I'm talking-

Originally posted by the national weather service
    THREE DIFFERENT WEATHER FEATURES WILL COMBINE TO BRING EXTREME SNOW TOTALS TO SOUTHERN WISCONSIN.

STORM TOTALS FROM BOTH SYSTEMS COULD BE IN THE 18 TO 24 INCH RANGE IN FAR SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN. SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE. THIS STORM IS SIMILAR TO THE EARLY JANUARY 1999 BLIZZARD... WHICH PRODUCED 14 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW IN SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN WITH 4 TO 8 FOOT DRIFTS EAST OF A LINE FROM FOND DU LAC TO JANESVILLE.

NEEDLESS TO SAY THIS COULD BE A HISTORIC BLIZZARD CAPABLE OF PARALYZING PARTS OF SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN.
    and it's moving on towards the east coast after dumping on us. And this is supposed to be my first full week at my new job. No way am I even going to try biking in that-45mph winds, um hell no, no job is worth that. If I get fired for it, it's not a place I'd want to work-I guess we'll see.....fsck...I hate this state....hunker down Blas and Irv it's hitting the lake areas hard....
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

You know, provided the heat stays on and I know in time to go to the store first, I wouldn't mind that happening here... just ONCE, mind you, and followed by continuous above-freezing weather for several days After all, a few inches shut us down for a week!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
      hunker down Blas and Irv it's hitting the lake areas hard....
      My area probably isn't going to get it as hard.

The forecasts seem to indicate about 10 inches over three days here, which is enough but not the 18-24 inches being forecast to the south.

Then again I'm on the lake so that can add to the totals.

It's not snowing here yet and there's no weather warnings.

Comment

Bleh, this winter has been horrible for a lot of places. Katt, I hope that your area doesn't get nearly as much snow as they're predicting. And if so, I hope that your workplace understands. It is Wisconsin, after all. It snows there. Every year

I've been lucky this year where I've been living. I live in Michigan, and I'm used to seeing many, many feet of snow throughout the winter. But where my husband and I moved to for his job last year has surprisingly and abnormally not seen a whole lot of snow this year. But we've been getting horrendously low temperatures instead. The water pipes in our apartment froze once already this winter (the fact that our landlord is an idiot doesn't help... our apartment is apparently the first one of his properties to have problems like this every year, and yet there is no insulation around the water pipes in the basement... but that's a separate rant altogether), and the temperatures have consistently been below zero when the wind chill is included. Too bad there can't be some happy medium, but I guess that was all used up in my area last winter

Comment

Every day when I see the weather for back home in Jersey, I giggle a little on the inside. It seems nearly every single day, they have been getting snow for the past month.

Sunny 60 degrees here in Afghanistan.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

We're predicted to get 10-13". One of my friends keeps posting annoying statuses about being excited and going sledding and I swear I'm going to end up bitch-slapping her. It would be one thing if they would cancel class (they won't, short of a tornado going down the middle of campus), or if Fiance didn't have to make a 45 mile drive in it to get to work. Fiance who just moved up here from the South and probably hasn't seen 10" of snow total in his *life*. I just want this week to be over...hell, I just want it to be April.

Comment

We're only forecasted to get about 6 inches (advisory went into effect at midnight this morning) and the snow is supposed to stop tomorrow morning.

After the 22 inches that crippled the entire damn city back in December, and the non-stop inch here inch there inch here two inches here half inch here every other fucking day this January (not to mention snow EVERY Friday since December), I am so fucking tired of this shit.

Comment

Holy hell!! 18-24 inches in Wisconsin?! And I got a total of 10-15 coming my way! And that's in addition to all the snow we already have!!!

All I have to say is they better cancel classes those days cause I can't think of any better time to cancel. And I ain't going if it means driving through a foot of snow. It ain't happening.

Comment

and the snow is already starting.....I did call work and ask if they had any kind of "inclement weather policy", apparently it is "whoever can make it, show up, whoever can't call in, and if Zeke can get to you-he'll bring you in" Apparently Zeke has a 4WD SUV and knows how to drive it safely, and knows when it's not safe to even attempt.
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

It continues to be reports like these that re-reinforce my decision to keep living in a coastal desert.

Good luck to those of you stuck in your frozen tundras. May your pipes not freeze, and your heat not go out.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We've officially got a blizzard warning. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/ja...r-storm-watch/

10-14 inches.

It's been freezing rain all day and will start snowing a bit tonight. It won't get bad until tomorrow morning. Which means that the geniuses at my school probably won't cancel. Then, when it gets really bad and dangerous, they'll send everyone home early.

Oh, and Fiance's job said they would have an "inclement weather dress code" tomorrow.

Comment

Just got a letter from management about the weather. Long story short "We must maintain coverage at every site". IE we can not call off regardless how bad it gets. Of course, they claim that if we are in an accident, get a ticket, etc to or from work they will pay for everything, but for some reason I have my doubts about that.

Don't have a clue how bad, or if we are going to get anything at all, it is going to be. Though everything might miss us. Regardless, not near as bad as some have it.
                        Last edited by Mytical; 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM.

Comment

They *finally* closed down my school. Since the city has basically said, "No way the streets will be plowed by tomorrow" hopefully we'll be out tomorrow as well. Every K-12 school, daycare, most government agencies, the State freakin' Legislature, and university in the area shut down last night. My school? Still waited until this morning. *headdesk* The only places open that I know of are City Hall (WTF? I feel bad for them.) and the hospital. Which apparently spent most of the day yesterday treating concussions, breaks, and sprains from people slipping on the ice.

Comment

Ugh, this 50-60F weather is killing me. I hate walking around in t-shirt and jeans comfortably.

Actually, it amazes me how many people are walking around in winter jackets and such. You'd think it was cold or something. Most I've needed is a hoodie.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My university, which rarely closes and even has a page on their website bragging about how rarely they close, has already closed for tomorrow. I don't have class on Thursday, so I don't have to get out until Friday!! Hopefully they'll have things cleaned up a bit by then.

Honestly, I think the school closed at the behest of the highway and police departments, not because they wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                              X