Inconsiderate Non-Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
    When I get busy at work and can't take my lunch on time, I get pretty hungry, and my body's craving for food sometimes makes me get a little irritable.
    When you get to the point where your sugar levels are dipping and your hands shake and you are starting to have trouble thinking straight, then you can compare it to nicotine withdrawal.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I smoke... On very rare occasions. Cherry Cavendish pipe tobacco.

I don't smoke in public or around other people. But I'd never say you CAN'T do something.

Its your body. You fuck it up if you want to.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

From what I know from many smoker friends, BlaqueKatt is correct: Unless you are diabetic, in most cases not eating for many hours won't slam you. For heavy smokers, going more than an hour without a cigarette physically forces them to be irritable, easily distracted and feeling weak. Cigarettes are nasty that way.

Like I said, I don't blow smoke at non-smokers who invade my space and complain, but I DO get annoyed. If I'm in a smoking area and/or am sitting or standing somewhere where there's loads of other just-as-good spots to sit or stand, and someone enters my space and coughs or complains, I'll simply say "Excuse me" and I'll move to another spot a good 20 feet or so away, downwind if there's a breeze. I will move without further comment ONCE. If they move closer to me and keep complaining, I'll ask plainly why they feel the need to complain when I'm going out of my way to be considerate.

Comment

I am a considerate non-smoker. I never lecture anyone, and I avoid smokers actively smoking as much as possible. If it's not possible, however, I don't sit there and glare, cough, or wave my arms dramatically.

However:

I once had a woman claim that she was having an asthma attack due to my smoke. I promptly called bullshit on her claim, as one of my cousins is an asthmatic and I know full well what an asthma attack sounds like... and it's not *pathetic cough*.
          I am an asthmatic, and my asthma attacks sound exactly like *pathetic cough*. I don't get the full on dramatic wheezing/gasping unless I have a laryngeal spasm. I am what my doctor calls a 'quiet asthmatic'. My attacks include simply breathing more rapidly and feeling like I'm not getting enough oxygen, an almost immediate wretching when confronted suddenly with cold/dry air (dry heaving), and that pathetic, almost fake sounding cough you mentioned. My absolute worst asthma attack, the one that almost got me hospitalized, I was accused of faking it by another patient because I had the faintest, most pathetic cough as my only symptom...and yet my O2 sats were in the sink. If I were sitting next to a smoker and it triggered an asthma attack, that's exactly how it would sound. However, I address the problem by A) not sitting next to someone actively smoking and B) MOVING my ass and hitting my inhaler.

does food actually cause your brain to produce chemicals that reduce pain, anxiety, and increase alertness, smoking does. so yes you become dependant and can't function on lower levels, you actually PHYSICALLY NEED the nicotine. I only eat one meal a day, jeez you taking time out of working for lunch, I just don't get it.(yeah in an 8+ hour shift I take 3-4 5 minute breaks, so 15-20 minutes, everyone else takes 30-60 minutes to eat, and then they're tired after eating)
          Yes. Yes it does. There are many foods that do exactly this...ever hear of comfort foods? Food addiction? People eat all the time to relieve depression, low self-esteem and heartache because food causes a positive chemical reaction in our brains that helps relieve these feelings. Some people become dependant and cannot function on lower levels. Simply because you are able to eat one meal a day and get by just fine, does not mean food's chemical impact and food addiction does not exist...just like if one person can smoke once a day and control themselves does not mean another might have to smoke twenty times a day.

One person cannot picture going more than two or three hours without a smoke, another cannot picture going more than two or three hours without a snack. One is not more or less than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by LewisLegion View Post
            I am an asthmatic, and my asthma attacks sound exactly like *pathetic cough*.
            Originally posted by LewisLegion View Post
            However, I address the problem by A) not sitting next to someone actively smoking and B) MOVING my ass and hitting my inhaler.
            This is exactly my point. Yes, I concede the point that it is possible to have an asthma attack sounding like a fake cough, but a genuine asthmatic would not deliberately sit next to a smoker and refuse to move. Anyone who fakes asthma just to be an arsehole deserves a facefull of smoke.
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Absolutely. On that we are strongly agreed

Comment

I don't think anyone really deserves a face full of smoke. I think it's proper enough to tell someone to get bent if they are insisting on being nearby you while you smoke and they don't like it.

Comment

Working...
                X