Windows Updates is pissing me off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, I fell asleep while working on McAfee materials again at work

I agree, it's slow as hell and always wants to scan when you are in the middle of something. That's why I ditched it.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
      Norton is pretty bad too. I'm only using it on the laptop...since it came with that piece of shit already installed. Once the trial period is up, I'm dumping it.
      I haven't played with Norton for several years: What about it on your laptop do you consider bad?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        I haven't played with Norton for several years: What about it on your laptop do you consider bad?

^-.-^
        Other than it constantly trying to update itself...and occasionally crashing the computer? I had to turn the updates off, simply because it tended to slow things down a bit.

Comment

If there is an issue with the download..it will try to download every time if not set right. Some you have to go to the download center, search for the file (by the number next to the file) and download manually for it not to try to keep downloading it. Even the automatic updater will fail to do it right for some reason. I just have it alert me, I look them over, find the critical ones, do my research..and then download them from the center if I need them.

Comment

For some reason I never hear this one mentioned, but if you want a decent but lightweight scanner, consider Clamwin. It DOES NOT do realtime protection in any form, but if you just want to check things you've downloaded before you open or run them, and run occasional system scans...it's so lightweight you'll forget it's even there until you're looking to use it.
            Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
            Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              Norton is pretty bad too. I'm only using it on the laptop...since it came with that piece of shit already installed. Once the trial period is up, I'm dumping it.
              I never got that far. First thing I did after setup was to dump it and install avast.

Comment

I've had better luck with Norton myself. At least Norton did it's job, unlike Macrappy which freezes before finishing.

I don't know, it's still updating god knows what every morning when I either turn on my computer or wake it up from sleep mode. It slows everything down for 10-15 minutes, but after that, it doesn't seem to affect anything. From what I read, the icon is legit, so if there is a virus, it's probably not that.

Comment

Working...
                X