Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rageaholic
    replied
    I've had better luck with Norton myself. At least Norton did it's job, unlike Macrappy which freezes before finishing.

I don't know, it's still updating god knows what every morning when I either turn on my computer or wake it up from sleep mode. It slows everything down for 10-15 minutes, but after that, it doesn't seem to affect anything. From what I read, the icon is legit, so if there is a virus, it's probably not that.

Leave a comment:

• lordlundar
    replied
    Originally posted by protege View Post
    Norton is pretty bad too. I'm only using it on the laptop...since it came with that piece of shit already installed. Once the trial period is up, I'm dumping it.
    I never got that far. First thing I did after setup was to dump it and install avast.

Leave a comment:

• Fire_on_High
    replied
    For some reason I never hear this one mentioned, but if you want a decent but lightweight scanner, consider Clamwin. It DOES NOT do realtime protection in any form, but if you just want to check things you've downloaded before you open or run them, and run occasional system scans...it's so lightweight you'll forget it's even there until you're looking to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Mytical
    replied
    If there is an issue with the download..it will try to download every time if not set right. Some you have to go to the download center, search for the file (by the number next to the file) and download manually for it not to try to keep downloading it. Even the automatic updater will fail to do it right for some reason. I just have it alert me, I look them over, find the critical ones, do my research..and then download them from the center if I need them.

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    I haven't played with Norton for several years: What about it on your laptop do you consider bad?

^-.-^
    Other than it constantly trying to update itself...and occasionally crashing the computer? I had to turn the updates off, simply because it tended to slow things down a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Originally posted by protege View Post
    Norton is pretty bad too. I'm only using it on the laptop...since it came with that piece of shit already installed. Once the trial period is up, I'm dumping it.
    I haven't played with Norton for several years: What about it on your laptop do you consider bad?

^-.-^

Leave a comment:

• blas87
    replied
    I'm sorry, I fell asleep while working on McAfee materials again at work

I agree, it's slow as hell and always wants to scan when you are in the middle of something. That's why I ditched it.

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    I blame fucking Mcafee (sp?). It has to be the worst, most intrusive virus scan that doesn't even catch the bad viruses that it should. Hell, sometimes it won't even complete the scan without freezing. What kind of bull shit is that?

Leave a comment:

• Eisa
    replied
    I likes Malwarebytes...

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Another option is Ad-Aware, which is also free, and is fairly effective at cleanup as well as prevention.

You will likely have to download a portable copy to a thumb drive or the like to be able to use it on an infected system.

^-.-^

Leave a comment:

• Gravekeeper
    replied
    Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
    Fuck. I think it might have been a virus. I got one of those faux anti virus programs try to download itself.

Hmm, maybe I should consider just leaving it on sleep mode for the night. Don't know why I never thought to do that before. Just habit I guess.
    Grab yourself Avast or AVG, both are free and effective anti-virus measures.

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    Fuck. I think it might have been a virus. I got one of those faux anti virus programs try to download itself.

Hmm, maybe I should consider just leaving it on sleep mode for the night. Don't know why I never thought to do that before. Just habit I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Gravekeeper
    replied
    Yeah, set it to Notify you of updates, not download automatically. However, it does sound like something is greviously wrong >.>

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    My computer is on pretty much 24/7. The $5-10 difference from when I didn't have a computer at all (that's both on while I'm home and on stand-by while I'm not) isn't enough to offset the disadvantages that can be associated with turning it off and on all the time.

Plus, it updates in the middle of the night, so I just have to log back in the next morning.

^-.-^

Leave a comment:

Working...
X