Fashion "Faux Pas"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashion "Faux Pas"

I've been sitting at home, really sick and bored the past couple of days, and I remembered in my closet that I have two denim jackets, neither have I worn in at least two or three years.

I remember the last times I wore them, I wore them with jeans and whatever shirt I had under, probably a tank or short sleeved shirt. In my research, I found that it's a big "no no" to do that, and always has been, at least since the 90s. Why? Oh, because it's "overkill".

Really?

In my opinion, as long as your clothes fit you properly and they are suitable for your age and body type, what does it matter if it's a "yes" or "no" to judgemental fashion know-it-alls?

Overkill in my opinion is wearing a loud, busy shirt with a really short skirt, and piling on a ton of loud makeup and then doing a really crazy hairstyle. Again, everyone is allowed their own style, but that's a decent definition of "overkill". I don't really see an issue with denim on denim as long as the shirt under the denim jacket isn't ALSO denim and the focus is more on that shirt than the jacket, and it isn't all about matching. Overkill is when everything matches or goes together in a bad way, like a red dress with bright red lipstick and a red handbag and big red high heels and red fingernails.

I think once it gets warmer and a denim jacket will be suitable for "outerwear", I'm going to do it. With jeans, but also maybe with slacks or other pants I have. I don't really effing care. I don't think anyone in this simpleton redneck part of Wisconsin has any idea what the real definition of "overkill" is anyway, considering all the people wearing skinny jeans around here that shouldn't. I'd rather be looking hot in my flares and denim jacket than squeezing my thunder thighs, Kim K rear end and huge hips into skinny jeans and looking "cool" like everyone else.

I saw you mention the denim jacket thing being a no no elsewhere and I think it's dumb...what does it matter??? Wear the denim jacket if you want to
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Well, like I said, I've been sick since Saturday morning and I've been online whenever I'm not asleep or in the bathroom, and I have been researching just about anything you can imagine to keep myself entertained. And a few days ago, I found "treasure" in my closet, some clothes I forgot I had and they actually still fit, hooray! And while I was "window shopping" online, I got lost in google searches and found the all time "no no" of mixing denim with denim.

I remember when I first bought the one jacket, I was 16, and I wore it all the time with anything. No one ever made fun of me for wearing it with jeans. The other one, a coworker gave to me because she said it'd look great if I wore it over my cute party shirts.

Come to think of it, there's a family picture at my house, I was 19 in it. I was wearing jeans and a denim jacket over a low cut maroon shirt and white tank, and it looks just fine to me!

I am so freaking happy I can still fit into SOME of my old clothes

Comment

Sounds good to me enjoy

Comment

Last I heard, it's only a faux pas if the jacket and your jeans are the same shade. One should be lighter than the other.

Got that from Queer Eye.
          I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Feh. I have no use for fashion.

I wear what I want to wear, provided it's comfortable and looks good on me. If someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to look.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Years ago, I used to wear a denim jacket with jeans. Yeah, I guess it was a lot of denim, but oh well. It's better than having a really morbid color clash going on.

Granted, there are some colors and articles of clothing that shouldn't be mixed when a person is getting dressed, but fashion fanatics can be really annoying. Not only that, they create a lot of unnecessary paranoia. Go to virtually any syle forum online or the clothing secion at Yahoo Answers and you'll see tons of posts like "Does this tie go with this shirt?" or "What color socks do I wear with x color pants" or "Am I supposed to match my socks with my shoes, pants, or something else?"

On a basic sense, these are legitmate questions, but sometimes it seems like these people don't want to get dressed without going online and asking strangers if their outfits work. It's because of fashion fanatics that they're like this, too.

Many so called fashion "faux pas" are really just matters of personal preference, as I said earlier. Granted, some colors of ties shouldn't be worn with some colors of shirts. Also, if you're wearing a tie, your shirt should be a dress shirt and not a sport shirt. Wearing a tie with a sport shirt isn't bad, per se, but sport shirts are more casual and not necessarily meant to be worn with ties.

However, we still have a lot of leeway for how we dress. For example, I wear a dress shirt and tie to work on most days, and I typically avoid ties that have black in them. Ties with black in them aren't bad. They just aren't my preference.

Comment

The denim jacket with jeans combo is also known as the "Canadian Tuxedo".

It also reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMese00xN0

However, the look has made a comeback in recent years. I've seen it done in some runway shows. Basically, a very faded denim jacket with dark-wash jeans. The key is not matching the shades; you're supposed to go for contrast. I think it's a cute look.

Comment

I say, where what you like. As long as you're not clashing horribly. XD I once saw a woman wearing a hot pink top teamed with bright orange trousers. Argh, my eyes!
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

You see, it's fashion rules like this that I have no use for- arcana like "Never wear denim jacket and pants at the same time."
                    Or "What are you doing in that long skirt, it's all about short skirts this season!"

However, there's a difference between that and looking a hot mess- dirty, rumpled, slopped together.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      Feh. I have no use for fashion.

I wear what I want to wear, provided it's comfortable and looks good on me. If someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to look.

^-.-^
                      Amen. People who have a problem with what other people wear need to get a life. As long as it doesn't look completely ridiculous, I see no reason to even notice.

Comment

Fashion - That means what is clean and what is closest .. right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                          Fashion - That means what is clean and what is closest .. right?
                          that's the way I look at it...

Comment

I think there are some things that people don't look good in. Things like harem pants (ick!), and sheer dresses/skirts/pants/shirts/etc with nothing layered under them but underwear. But if someone wants to wear it I'm not going to march up to them and tell them they look bad or what have you.

Though I have wanted to tell some of the girls around my city that pantyhose are not pants, neither are leggings. If your shirt doesn't cover your ass and you can see through your bottoms it's not a good look.

Comment

Oh my dawg yes. Leggings are not pants. Tights are not pants. Hose? NOT PANTS. Ladies, srsly, wear some pants, or a dress/skirt that's long enough to cover your business.

Since I'm mostly on campus, the only real 'faux pas' I see are due to sheer laziness, which isn't so bad for a student. While I would prefer if they were dressed in real clothes, I would rather have a student show up in their pajamas than not show up at all. Then there are the hipsters - bleh. I just want to confiscate their clothes, hose 'em down, and toss them in Gap or something. (But seriously, take a shower once in a while, please?)

I'm a plus-sized lady, and there are some special rules that have to be followed. Bright prints are bad. Animal print is BAD. Suffering from size denial and wearing everything too tight is bad. And I don't care what Lane Bryant says, jeggings are not meant for the size 16 and up camp.

Dressing well really isn't all that hard. Is it clean? Is it ripped, ragged, or in need of repair? Does it fit? Is it flattering (or at least comfortable)? There ya go.

Comment

Working...
                              X