No announcement yet.

Fashion "Faux Pas"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why animal print would be bad on a larger person, I'm plus-sized myself, and while yes, head to toe leopard or zebra print would be a bit much on anyone, I don't see why something like a leopard cardigan or shoes or skirt would be so bad just because someone is a size 14+.

Jeggings, well, I hate skinny jeans in general, so jeggings are even worse. My mom made me try some on once, they made me look huge! My calves are big enough on their own. People need to learn to dress in clothes that actually fit. My friend told me how she spent $130 on a bra, and it was a size too small because she didn't want to be an E cup or some such. She also likes to wear jeans that are 2 sizes too small on her. Just accept that you are a certain size and dress accordingly. Yes it sucks that there are a lot of pretty clothes that I'll never be able to wear because I'm over a size 6, whatever, I'll shop elsewhere.

One thing that's been bothering me lately are boots. The cute slouchy ones, none of them have zippers. I can't even get my foot into them because of that, they also seem to be made for people with tiny calves.

Comment

I'm a bigger girl, and I have a lovely dark brown animal print velvet button-down shirt that just looks awesome on me. Gotten quite a number of compliments.

.... tiny-calf boots are evil. >_< ... I've always had substantial calves and ankles, even when I was a skinny little kid. *sigh*

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I suppose the animal-print issue is a matter of personal taste, then. Personally, I think it always looks tacky, regardless of size or amount. And even (or especially) in home decor.

Comment

Animal prints and other loud patterns are fine, no matter what your size, as long as everything else is played down, aka makeup, hair, and pants.

Comment

Count me in as another who's sick of skinny boots. I like boots. I like them a lot more than the strappy, heeled, impractical shoes that many women are enamoured of. Unfortunately it's hard finding nice boots that aren't heeled, aren't thin-soled, and are made for muscular calves like mine.

I've mentioned frustration with a fashion challenged friend of mine, but that one breaks practically ALL the rules that AdminAssistant came up with:

" Is it clean? Is it ripped, ragged, or in need of repair? Does it fit? Is it flattering (or at least comfortable)? There ya go. "

And aside from that, she always complains when I wear something nice. She complains about how "mundane" she feels next to me. After a comment she made about my looks the other night*, I'm tempted to give her some of her own next time she says that.
            Her- "Oh, I feel so mundane next to you!"
            Me- "Well, maybe if you didn't wear stretch pants, Keds, and baggy old sweaters all the time?"
            Seriously- stretch pants with thin horizontal white and navy stripes are not a good look on anyone, especially when said pants sag in the butt.

*We were talking about child beauty pageants and when I said that I was glad my parents never put me in those, my friend said "No offense, but you don't have the looks for pageants!". My friend didn't know that I was skinny as a kid, and downright cute, with a ton of long, curly hair.

Comment

I hardly ever dress smart, I sometimes kinda dress smart casual with black trousers my going out jacket and a Tshirt with some logo or slogan, rarely a shirt and never a tie.

At work we all dress in white overals and only the office staff make an effort, although as we have little interaction with customers, if I was in the office I would probably wear like the above paragraph, but a polo shirt or something semi smart without going all office on it.

but as far as selecting my clothes goes, I have a dozzen £3 tesco jeans one size too large for me (32" smallest they did for £3 and im 28 or 30" myself) a few similar belts and a choice of god knows how many Tshirts with slogans and or logo's to choose from, if you saw me often enough, you would swear I was wearing the same thing day in day out for months (it doesn't help when some of my Tshirts I have spares of )

Comment

I'm a jeans and t-shirt woman. Sometimes I'll swap the shirt for something nicer, but I don't even know where my non-denim pants are, anymore.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Jeans are the best and the worst fashion find.

They can be a complete nightmare to find a perfect pair. Nowadays, with the stretch trend, you almost have to buy them too small and suffer a few hours before they stretch out to fit you, because if you buy a decent fitting size, within hours, they'll be several sizes too large. I bought a couple of pairs last week, and these jeans, I kid you not, stretch so much throughout the day that by the time I left work, if I walked too fast, they would fall right off my hips.

And those fucking skinny jeans. Words can't describe how much I hate them. Basic boot cuts and flares look good on just about everyone, why is everyone so adament on squeezing into these skin tight nightmares that only accentuate what already is too big on you?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    I bought a couple of pairs last week, and these jeans, I kid you not, stretch so much throughout the day that by the time I left work, if I walked too fast, they would fall right off my hips.
                    I don't know what brand you're buying, but whatever it is, it sucks. I have some nice stretch jeans from GV that hardly stretch at all over the course of the day.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    And those fucking skinny jeans. Words can't describe how much I hate them. Basic boot cuts and flares look good on just about everyone, why is everyone so adament on squeezing into these skin tight nightmares that only accentuate what already is too big on you?
                    I'm behind that sentiment 100%. I despise skinny jeans and mourn my inability to find some fun flares in stores currently.

^-.-^

Comment

I had a denim jacket years ago. It was the same color as my pants at the time. No one ever said anything. I think that if you like something, wear it.

Comment

I don't know if it's universally true, but I've found that the softer the jean and the more cotton they are, the more they will stretch (and ultimately be affected by the dryer, good or bad whichever results you're looking for).

Unfortunately, the heavier, rougher material denim seems to hold still on me for the better part of the day, only stretching a tad.

I'm having a really hard time anyway with jeans and it's getting to be really hit or miss, as I'm between sizes and denial right now.

Comment

I don't dry my jeans (or any of my pants, really) and I find that they look better, longer. Yeah, it's a bit silly to have a laundry rack in the living room (nowhere else for it, atm), but it's worth it to keep my jeans and sweaters a bit longer.

Comment

Ever since the skinny jean trend came in it's gotten more and more difficult to find regular jeans with a flare or bootcut. I did find a great pair of jeans at Reitmans though, they're stretch, but I find they don't stretch out too much during the day, plus they have no button or zipper, which I actually like because it gives a smoother look under shirts, and they smooth my tummy out. As it stands I own two pairs of jeans, and two pairs of dress pants, and I was lucky to find those, I spent months searching for pants. Ricki's and Reitman's are my go to pants stores now I think.

I actually love to dress up, I would like a job where I get to wear nice skirts/pants and blouses every day, I'd have to get some more shirts, but I'm fine with that. I don't really follow trends unless I particularly like something about that trend. I do read fashion blogs and such though, not to get advice, but just to see what's out there, plus fashion photography is so pretty.

Comment

I'm hoping to find a nice pair or two of cargo capris for this spring/summer. They are pretty flattering on me.

There's a big sale today at Macy's and Kohls. I'm just wondering if either of those stores carry them, or if I have to stick to Aero or Old Navy.

This past summer was so warm and humid (GOD I MISS THAT) that I bought a couple of skirts for Fridays and Saturdays. It felt so nice to not have my jeans stuck to my legs all day, and there was no leg or butt sweat.

I can't wear shorts because of all the cellulite on the back of my legs, but skirts are alright as long as they are just slightly above the knee.

Comment

I love wearing skirts, but I have to have something under them for my thighs, chub rub is a bitch and that's not always the most comfortable thing in the summer. I don't generally wear shorts though, I always find they're either too short and ride up or they're too long and aren't flattering. I wear capris and skirts with leggings or tights in the summer mostly, or my jeans, mostly jeans .

Basically shopping for anything other than shirts or shoes is a bitch, with the exception of skirts, I own a ton of them because it's easier to find a skirt that fits than it is pants. When I do find pants that fit if I have the money I'll buy a couple pairs of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X