No announcement yet.

Hating New Pokemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Rocket wants to take over the world, with Boss Rocket Giovanni at the helm (didn't he become a good guy after Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen? Why does he seem like a jerk again at the Pokémon World Tournament?).

Team Magma and Team Aqua want to reshape the world to have more/less land to better support land/water-based Pokémon.

Team Plasma wants trainers to release their Pokémon so that they can liver better, more natural lives away from their "cruel masters." •SPOILERS• This was all a ruse so that the brains behind the operation, Ghetsis, would be the only one with Pokémon… so he could take over the world.

His son, N, had a good idea (helping Pokémon) but had been misguided, and spends Black & White 2 trying to see the other side of things, going back to the truth/ideal conflict from Black & White.

I don't know anything about Team Galactic since I had skipped 4th Gen, although from what little I've heard their leader, Cyrus, wants to reshape the whole universe and basically become God.

Also, I believe the tag line "Gotta Catch 'Em All" hasn't been used in any official capacity since the release of Gold & Silver around '99 or so. There are now 649 Pokémon, including some that can only be obtained via special events; obtaining them all, while possible, isn't as feasible as it used to be.

(Whether the cartoon still uses that tag line or not is unknown to me because I haven't watched it since the Johto Arc)
    Last edited by Bloodsoul; 06-18-2013, 01:54 PM.
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

They dropped the gotta catch em all tag line around late johto. There have been a couple of sporadic references since, but nothing since late hoenn. Usually said references are made as a jest ie catching hot dogs flying.

As far as team galactic goes, they were trying to alter time/space and erase the world, so that when it was recreated, the head of team galactic could live as a god. In platinum, his role is expanded a bit further after he is stopped and the mascot for that game is captured. He is chased to stark mountain (where heatran is) and threatens to blow it up, when he's finally arrested.

Oh yeah, one thing I am VERY glad they changed over from black and white into black/white 2...the inclusion of Zorua and Zoroark. There was absolutely no reason for them to be event only in the first place. They are fairly decent dark-types too. Some of the legendaries I find a bit questionable...there's a reason why the regi-combo have been referred to as the legendary trash cans. For the current generation, I can understand the three dragons and to some extent, the weather trio (tornados etc.) but I do not get the need for the rest of them. Admittedly meloetta is cute
      Last edited by fireheart17; 05-01-2013, 01:23 AM.

Comment

OK, updating time. Since we have a new generation of games coming out and already, the hate has come out. Here's the list of "hates" that have cropped up and my views on them.

New type: Yes, after 3 generations of no typing-changes, we now have a brand new type: Fairy. The hate is surrounding the name and why it couldn't be something like "Light" "Love" etc.
        Personally, I see no problem with the name. The new games are meant to be based on Europe (specifically France, with some elements of other European countries) and a lot of fairy tales originate from there. Fairy also does not necessarily have to mean "cute."
        As for the two Pokemon they've released so far that are fairy-types (another Eevolution and a little flower bud sprite thing), they don't exactly fit the "cute" stereotype. Sylveon (the Eevolution) makes me think of a graceful Nymph, while Flabebe (the other "fairy") makes me think of how the Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff line SHOULD'VE been done.
        They're also going to retcon a few older Pokemon to be part-fairy. This is where I can understand the . Jigglypuff and Gardevoir are going to be retconned to Normal/Fairy and Psychic/Fairy while Marill is going to be Water/Fairy. The Marill one I don't understand.

The praise for it is that after five generations, we also have another way to overcome Dragon without weakening Dragon too much. (Dragon-types will be weak to Fairy-type attacks)

"Bottom of barrel" designs: I fully disagree. Of the 20 odd Pokemon that have been released so far, they are all actually quite unique and original. A couple I still don't fully understand (Chespin, Yveltal and to an extent, Helioptile) but the others actually look quite decent without breaking into too many stereotypes. I LOVE Fennekin (the new Fire-starter) and I think the new "bird" Pokemon (which will likely be the Gen VI version of Pidgey, Taillow, Starly and Pidove) are somewhat interesting. It does kinda seem stale that they've introduced yet another 3-part caterpillar -> butterfly line, although the new butterfly Pokemon actually LOOKS like a butterfly.

There seems to be quite a bit of hate surrounding Litleo (Fire/Normal that resembles, you guessed it, a lion) but I don't see the hate. Sure, the name could've used a bit more work, but I actually like the design. Makes me think of Simba a little bit.

The region/"gimmicks":
        So new game, new region. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a name: Kalos. This is straight from the Japanese name as well. The initial map looks kinda like the centre of a pentagram, but from what I've seen of trailers and the like, the designs in the game are AMAZING.

Some of the gimmicks that have cropped up thus far include:

-Being able to "ride" some of the Pokemon in certain areas: No problem with this. In fact, I'm somewhat glad they didn't introduce the concept with Ponyta or similar and chose a mountain-goat-esque Pokemon instead.

-A bonding mechanism with the Pokemon. not sure how this will affect "friendship", but it would be nice to be able to see WHERE you stand with the Pokemon rather than having to rely on people to tell you. It also would be nice to know when the Pokemon will evolve, rather than running around on a bicycle for 30 minutes trying to get your Swadloon to evolve into a Leavanny.

-Fully 3D immersive environment and overhauling the battle system (appearance only): Meh, no real issue with this. Just seems to compact what other games have been doing down into a handheld game. (Battle revolution/Stadium)

-Sky Battles/Horde Battles: The former makes me think of the anime and the Pokeringer episodes, while the latter is a 5-on-1 concept. In all honesty, I like the idea of the Sky Battles, but the horde battles just seem a little bit unfair to me. This is probably one of the only criticisms I have of the new games. (Example of how a horde battle would work: say Pikachu encounters a flock of Spearow. Pikachu uses an Electric-type attack that hits all five Spearow but doesn't kill them. Now Pikachu has to withstand attacks from all five Spearow)

And on a final note: does anyone know what Chespin and Yveltal are meant to be based on? I get MOST of the other ideas, but not so sure about those two. Chespin makes me think of a chipmunk.

Here's the link: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...%A9mon_X_and_Y
        All of their information comes from magazines such as CoroCoro, Pokemon smash and other reliable sources.

ETA: Reading through my original posts, it looks like a lot of the things I HOPED would be in the new game have actually made it.

-The gym designs are apparently going to be original designs.

-There's going to be a "bonding" mechanism with your Pokemon. (there's speculation on this being how you evolve Eevee to Sylveon)

-The typing combos that make sense. We have Flying/Dragon, Fire/Normal, Electric/Normal and Poison/Water.
        Last edited by fireheart17; 06-16-2013, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I looked at a couple of the new ones, I HATE what they did to Mewtwo. Yes Mewtwo is in X and Y, and he looks horrible. There was nothing wrong with his design and they changed it.
          "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
            There was nothing wrong with his design and they changed it.
            It's an alternate form. The main form is still there; they didn't change it, they added to it.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I looked at a couple of the new ones, I HATE what they did to Mewtwo. Yes Mewtwo is in X and Y, and he looks horrible. There was nothing wrong with his design and they changed it.
              Correction: his alternate form is in X/Y. It's also in one of the new movies.

To me it looks like Mewtwo's tail migrated up to his head.

I guess it's their way of trying to reconnect with the older games somehow. Part of me really wants to see some evolutions for other Pokemon aside from Eevee. Such as:

-Heracross
              -Absol
              -Torkoal
              -Emolga
              -Durant
              -Lapras
              -Miltank/Tauros. There is speculation that Miltank and Tauros are meant to be linked, so you may as well make a baby one
              -Oh and for the love of cheese, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give male Combees an evolution!

Just as long as it doesn't look like Lickylicky..... (derp)

Comment

Oops, I didn't know that. I don't see why they had to give him an alternate form though.
                "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Oops, I didn't know that. I don't see why they had to give him an alternate form though.
                  For the same reason they had to give Keldeo, Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus new forms: because they can.

(seriously, all four of the aforementioned Pokemon had NO reason for a form change. Ditto for Shaymin back in Gen IV. Giratina I could understand, Kyurem's merge with Reshiram/Zekrom makes sense since it's part of the story, but just...GYAHHH!!!!)

There's also a rumour going around that the brand new starters are going to end up with dual-type final evolutions. Not just for one Pokemon, for ALL THREE OF THEM.

Unlike Gen IV, where the split was Ground-Fighting-Steel (and which didn't make sense because while Steel is weak to Ground and Fighting, Fighting is not resistant to ground), the rumoured dual-type matchups involve this:

Grass/Dark
                  Fire/Psychic
                  Water/Fighting

It would be nice to NOT have a Fire/Fighting type for once (like they've done in Gen III, IV AND V-Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar).

Comment

Am I the only one who prefers the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games...?

I have Diamond and now I kind of want X/Y because of all the new stuff, but for the most part, I have all the PMD ones, and I love Gateway to Infinity because of all the stuff they added and how they changed up the dungeon setup, it actually looks really pretty now! The only annoying thing so far is that you can't do multiple missions at a time, you can only do one.
                    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by Eisa View Post
                      Am I the only one who prefers the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games...?

I have Diamond and now I kind of want X/Y because of all the new stuff, but for the most part, I have all the PMD ones, and I love Gateway to Infinity because of all the stuff they added and how they changed up the dungeon setup, it actually looks really pretty now! The only annoying thing so far is that you can't do multiple missions at a time, you can only do one.
                      Sadly I don't have a 3DS (which would allow me to play GTI) but I have owned the PMD games twice in the past. Generally they've been fairly good, although I still prefer the actual game. I did like doing multiple missions at once.

Pokemon Ranger isn't too bad and I wish they'd do one with Gen V and VI. (at the current moment they only cover up to Gen IV in the 2nd/3rd games...Starly was always my first partner up until Cranidos was available)

Comment

Working...
                      X