No announcement yet.

Vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an "old school" vampire fan myself. Give me the Anne Rice books, and I'm happy as a clam. XD

Lestat was the ultimate sex vamp and that's how I like them, thank-you-very-much.

I also liked the book Dracula My Love by Syrie James. It's based on the journals of Mina Harker. There is sex, and the child she gives birth to after returning from Transylvania with Jonathon Harker can't defnitely be said it's Jonathon's child or Dracula's.

The Twilight movies are just mindless fun. (And yes, I do like Rob Patterson - sue me ). I haven't read the books, but I have bought the first one and will be reading it to my daughter starting soon.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

The problem is, when you take a pre-existing 'race', and start totally changing the rules. If someone came out with a book that had 'elves' who were short, solid, and liked to horde treasure...You'd have an equal outcry. If the Twilight books hadn't got such a following, the reaction to them wouldn't have been as bad. The author herself said she didn't know much about vampires before she wrote the books, so hers didn't follow quite a few of the 'normal' rules.
      Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

My main problem was the way that she a) tried (and epically failed) to use science to explain her meyerpires and b) the way she Did Not Do The Research. Not just in vampires, but in everything. And don't even get me started on werewolf imprinting. Ugh. Pedobear approves.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I thought "old school" would be Max Schreck and Bela Lugosi?

Also, remind me to search for that old issue of "Count Duckula" when next I visit my parents.
          "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
            I thought "old school" would be Max Schreck and Bela Lugosi?

Also, remind me to search for that old issue of "Count Duckula" when next I visit my parents.
            Hence why Twilight annoys quite a few people who enjoy vampires...Count Duckula was closer to a "real" vampire than hers...and by "real", I mean confirming to established traditions.
            Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Why do vampires have to be according to established traditions? Why can't they be changed up? I really dislike the old school bela lugosi type vampires and like the modern ones so much better.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

No reason, but the point of fantasy is not some third rate Suethor's idea of "I can write what I want, it's FANTASY!"; fantasy still has to make some kind of sense, and be consistant. For example; read this.

As for modern vampires; well, I like the Night World vampires very much. They can walk around in daylight, eat garlic, and pass running water... however, they are still sensitive to wood and fire. These vampires "work". This is cuz L J Smith Did Do The Research.

Comment

I don't think that vampires have to follow the "traditional" ideas to work. I've read quite a few of the authors that have come out recently and, quite simply, I like the variety. If you only stick to tradition you kinda just hear the same story over and over. I like stories where the vampire is the bad guy and is evil or cursed or whatever but I also like the stories where they're just people like us (except that they're immortal and drink blood and have extra strength.)

I will agree with Lace Neil Singer that the author does have to be consistent or have a good explanation if the rules change. But as long as they stay within the rules of their created world I'm good.

Comment

There's just no point in trying to use science to explain vampires or werewolves. Far better to stick with "it's magic" or "a wizard did it". XD

Comment

Working...
                    X