Rape Jokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be a humorless prude with you!

I hate it when people make rape jokes. Be they about men or women. They're stupid, pointless, and tasteless. And I always want to tell them, "thank you VERY much for making me remember something so awful. No, really. Fuck you."
    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

I was kind of with you till you hit the term "rape culture". Then my bullshit alarm went off.

Funny thing about humour is its not the subject so much as the presentation. ( See: George Carlin reference ). You're not making any distinctions. A potentially offensive subject can be funny in the hands of the right comedian with the right presentation. The biggest example of this is racism. Countless comedians have taken up what should be an offensive subject and turned it into something funny by essentially taking the power out of it. Its a horrible thing, but by turning it into a mockery, they take away its power. But that is a distinction, which you do not apparently make.

Its a far cry from some crude asshole going "Hur hur she got raped lawl" to Porky Pig mounting Elmer the Fudd.

I'd be the first to call someone out on making a tasteless and offensive joke. Especially if its targetted at a specific group. But you're targetting a term and linking it to a group then becoming offended at your own link. Then tossing out a research project that studied the group, not your link to that group. Now, I'm not defending assholes making sexist jokes. I'm just saying your brush stroke is perhaps too broad.
      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 04-16-2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladeeda View Post
        The majority of rape jokes are about women. Jokes about men being raped aren't funny, either, but are far less common, and often used as a "See, I'm not sexist" clause.
        Ever hear of "prison rape" jokes? Those are mainly directed towards men.

Now, I admit that my sense of humour is twisted. I only throw out sick jokes in the company of those who share the same sense of humour as I do.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Ever hear of "prison rape" jokes? Those are mainly directed towards men.
          And they occur more often. Honestly, I don't remember when the last time was that I heard a rape joke that involved a woman. I did hear a prison rape joke about a guy only a few days ago though.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
            And they occur more often. Honestly, I don't remember when the last time was that I heard a rape joke that involved a woman. I did hear a prison rape joke about a guy only a few days ago though.
            I don't recall ever hearing a rape joke that involved a woman, to be honest. The dropping of soap comes up fairly often though. Cellmates named Bubba. Pig squealing, banjo music, etc.

If anyone's being violated for comedic purposes, its typically a guy as far as I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              I don't recall ever hearing a rape joke that involved a woman, to be honest. The dropping of soap comes up fairly often though. Cellmates named Bubba. Pig squealing, banjo music, etc.

If anyone's being violated for comedic purposes, its typically a guy as far as I've seen.
              Which would be in part because although it's taboo to make fun of almost any group or dempgraphic, it's apparently still ok to make fun of men.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

^I remember being in a store once, and seeing fridge magnets and other things with slogans like "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them!" and "Boys stink!"
                I said to the (male) clerk "Can you imagine how pissed off people would be if these said the same thing about girls?"

I don't like trashing on men as a whole, as some sort of "counter" to sexism, just like I hate trashing on whites as some sort of "counter" to racism. In either case, such trashing doesn't eliminate the problem, it only redirects it, and keeps the shit going.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                  ^I remember being in a store once, and seeing fridge magnets and other things with slogans like "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them!" and "Boys stink!"
                  I said to the (male) clerk "Can you imagine how pissed off people would be if these said the same thing about girls?"
                  I've said the same thing about racist jokes on some of the "black programming" found on the WB network. If I had the money, I'd plagiarize one of their scripts, flip it around, let the shit fly, and then point out that nobody thought twice when they did it.

Reverse racism, and sexist, is still racism and sexism.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^Hear, Hear!

Comment

But your "reverse racism and sexism" is the act of individual people. Bigotry and misogyny are still so ingrained in the way the world works, that usually we're not even aware of it until we look for it. It has been internalized until we all think it's normal, so then we defend the privileged among us when they have to deal with the same crap.
                      http://dragcave.net/user/radiocerk

Comment

^I'm not defending anyone, I'm saying NOBODY should have to put up with sexism or racism. Such bigotry hurts everyone, and nobody should be trashed on because of their color, gender, ethnicity, and so on.

Comment

Working...
                        X