Wow, Your Camera Takes Really Good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
    I like to do drawings of personified skyscrapers, the guy would probably shit if he saw something like that.
    He'd probably lose it over some of my models. Some of them really wouldn't work if they were real. I'm referring to the Datsun 510 that I stuffed a Chevy V8 into. No real reason...other than I felt like it. The car looks sweet, but would be nearly impossible in real life. Why? I had to widen the transmission tunnel a bit so the V8's transmission would have enough room. So much, that the footwells either side, would be extremely cramped. Most of the time, I actually put some thought such as "would anyone be able to actually sit in this thing" when I build. However, that's not always possible. Sure, I make some crude drawings, and write down my ideas...but sometimes, I just go for it.

Then you get the damn 'experts' who have no idea what they're talking about. Awhile back, I was working on an old Ferrari kit. Someone saw it on my workbench...and got upset because it had a Chevy V8 in it. This person got pissy because I'd "butchered" a classic. First off, fuck you. Second, I don't have to use what's in the box. Engine options (and other parts and paint colors) can always come from one's imagination. Er, did I mention that it was the Ferrari Daytona used in Miami Vice? A car...that IIRC, was simply a fiberglass Ferrari body on a Corvette chassis?

I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't get upset if someone isn't doing things "properly." There's really no "wrong" way to enjoy a hobby

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post

I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't get upset if someone isn't doing things "properly." There's really no "wrong" way to enjoy a hobby
      I collect higher end military action figures (although that has waned a bit as I am fairly happy with my collection) and you wouldn't believe some of the people on the boards. I realize these are supposed to be somewhat accurate but soldiers are scroungers, so they don't all have to be cookie cutters. Fortunately, there are enough people that have the attitude of if it's fun...

As for your critic...there are different ways that someone can do art. There isnt' a set way and it's all about what you want to convey. If you want to show clutter, then detailed close up shots wont help. Art museums are full of folks that have broke the rules.

And for the other person...animated skyscrapers sound pretty cool.

Comment

Here's my deviantart gallery with a few of my skyscraper-people
        http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkle View Post
          but were I in your position I'd begin by telling them "it's easy to take snapshots, but photography of the level that belongs framed on a gallery wall takes more than a high-quality camera. If you'd like to learn more about the techniques involved, I can tell you, but be warned that there's time and effort involved."
          So by your advice you suggest saying the bit that I quoted above. And I have tried that. However judging by what is screamed at me when these people get in my face, they must be hearing...

blah blah blah blah blah, blah photography of the level that belongs framed on a gallery wall takes blah blah a high-quality camera. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah , blah blah blah blah , blah blah blah that blah blah blah blah blah .
          I say that is what they must be hearing because when I try that approach I get "You fucker! You said that all I need for gallery ready photographs is a high-quality camera!"

Start out NOT assuming that they're ALL impatient idiots, and you'll get more interested parties willing to listen and learn.
          I think I need to find out where you people live and move out there. In 15 years of photography not one person who has asked me for my advice has ever taken it. They either never bother getting into photography (having been distracted by some other nifty-toy-needing hobby) or come back and drench me with spittle from their R. Lee Ermy-quality yelling match.

In fact the only person to have ever come back to me not fitting one of those two categories was someone who came back and told me "I took notes of your advice, shopped around for cameras, decided that I didn't want to pay the money for one and so bought an iPhone with a built-in camera instead. Why won't it take good pictures in low light?"

And so dies yet another shred of my faith in humanity.

My explanation that my artwork is intended as setting-explaining material for roleplay sessions and not stuff you frame and hang on the wall doesn't change his opinion that I must follow all the rules, or the product is worthless.
          Then your response should be "If and when I submit my drawing to a gallery or a high-art magazine, I'll call you. Otherwise go and pound sand."
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X