Wrestling's Fake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling's Fake!

I want to say something. I am sick of being told wrestling is fake. My first response is annoyance, because no, wrestling is not 'fake'. If you see a guy fall fifteen feet off a ladder and go through a table, that guy just fell fifteen feet off a ladder and went through a table. Sure, he may have intended to do that, and that table is MADE to break away, but its not FAKE. Its staged. There's a difference. I've been hit with a 'steel' chair. Aluminum's light, but it still HURTS.

But aside from the instinctual reaction, my problem isn't really with people calling it fake. Its with people acting as if I don't KNOW that its fake. Okay, its fake. I figured that out somewhere between the motorcycle-riding zombie and the wrestling leprechaun. Or maybe it was the guy who announced that he was breaking the fourth wall a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, what really annoys me is the condescension. As if knowing that its planned in advance will make me stop watching. I know its fake. The only people who aren't aware of this are the ten year olds and my friend Brad, and he's been educated.

Anyway, I'm getting tired. So I better end this post here.

Huh, still posting. Hmm...

Candle Jack. There, that should do i-
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Next time someone tells you its fake, point out the some show he probably likes is fake too.

Comment

Films using CGI are more fake than wrestling.

In CGI I can fall 200ft, fly, fight a dragon.....

At least in wrestling when someone gets hit by a chair you know they've been hit by a chair and not just messing about in front of a green screen.

Comment

I don't understand the appeal of TV wrestling (at least not for straight men), but to each his own; too many people think the sorts of shows I enjoy are bad for me to go around criticizing others' tastes. Well, mostly; the ghoulish attachment people have for things like that recently-ended trial is another story
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Hell a lot of reality shows that claim to be real are more fake than wrestling lol...

Comment

We watched a pro wrestling documentary called "Beyond the Mat" from 1997 and damn, it might be choreographed but damn, those guys get HURT for real.

Comment

Originally posted by anakhouri View Post
              We watched a pro wrestling documentary called "Beyond the Mat" from 1997 and damn, it might be choreographed but damn, those guys get HURT for real.
              and it takes quite a lot of training and athleticism to be able to pull off the moves they do without being seriously hurt. Though things do go wrong from time to time, and storylines are adjusted to account for injuries that require long recoveries or surgery. And on top of being able to pull off the moves they are required to act-which is quite possibly why a few of them end up with a movie career later on.

Yes I do watch wrestling, and yes I did actually cry real tears when Edge had to retire due to his injuries....seeing him have to leave his belt in the ring after he had just won it.
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I don't watch wrestling, but as a sport, staging a match is at the lower end of match rigging, but as it's more of a wrestling themed soap opera I don't think anyone cares.
                The target audience are probably pre teenagers and at that age still believe in santa and the easter bunny.

prop chairs hurt less than normal chairs, but someone landing on you from over 6 foot is gonna hurt no matter if the match is choriagraphed or as real as they get, but atleast its more honest than alot of fly on the wall tv shows that actively cause tention just to make better TV

Comment

I'll say this much: they do their own stunts. And that's awesome.

Though I still prefer the wrestling found on websites that require a rather hefty monthly fee.
                  I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                    yes I did actually cry real tears when Edge had to retire due to his injuries....seeing him have to leave his belt in the ring after he had just won it.
                    Edge retired? Too bad, I liked him. I used to watch wrestling back around 1999-2003ish, even saw a WWF house show in Memphis. Despite his age, if you ever get the chance to see Jerry 'The King' Lawler wrestle in Memphis...do so. It was amazing. And yes, he did his infamous piledriver.

But, remember that Shawn Michaels was told that he would never wrestle again and was 'retired' for...10 years? A while back I saw that he was back and they even reformed D-Generation X. So there's a chance that Edge could come back.

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                    prop chairs hurt less than normal chairs
                    Google "Mick Foley The Rock I Quit Match". I'm willing to bet that Mick Foley would disagree with you on that statement. The Rock was supposed to hit Mick Foley aka Mankind with a chair once or twice. Instead Mankind took 11 hits to the head. Hell, if you have the time or interest, Mick Foley's written a couple of books that are worthwhile and a great counter-argument to the "it's fake!" crowd. Like...wrestling in Japan surrounded by C4.

Comment

Heh, I used to watch it back in the day; it was very entertaining. I still remember watching a match between Rick Flair and Bret Hart, where Bret did win... but his face had been bashed in and was pouring blood. Yeah, sure that's fake.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I never got into WWWhatever it's calling itself now that the world wild life foundation have sole claim on the WWF name, I used to watch UK wrestling and remember only a few names
                        Big Daddy (the hero of the bunch who was probably in his 50's)
                        Steve Fit Finley, who would always brag of beating Big Daddy in his next match, but would spend most of the bout running outside the ring like a big girls blouse
                        The silent Giant Haystacks
                        and Kendo Nagasaki, who was once unmasked and it all became clear why he wore one

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          But, remember that Shawn Michaels was told that he would never wrestle again and was 'retired' for...10 years? A while back I saw that he was back and they even reformed D-Generation X. So there's a chance that Edge could come back.
                          Shawn Michaels has retired again-due to match stipulation, and Edge will not return
                          Originally posted by press release
                          An MRI administered at Atlanta Midtown Diagnostic Imaging last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.
                          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I just look at it this way, there is a difference between staged and fake. The bouts are staged but those moves are very dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                              Or maybe it was the guy who announced that he was breaking the fourth wall a couple weeks ago.
                              Hey, Colt Cabana, how ya doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X