No announcement yet.

Wrestling's Fake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor word choice maybe? I've called it fake, but only insofar as it's scripted. I've seen what they do and there's no way that stuff doesn't involve their bodies taking abuse and having it huuuurrrrrt.

Somewhat off-tangent, the hotel I used to work for housed the WWE (is that the right show?) wrestlers for a local event. I heard coworkers talk about the violent and crazy characters the wrestlers played, and then gush about how nice and polite they were in person. They earned themselves quite a few new fans during their stay.

Comment

The only thing fake about wrestling are the story lines.

Comment

I remember watching this doc on wrestling and how they teach the rookies how to wrestle by having them wrestle a bear. The idea is that they learn how to protect themselves.

Comment

Wrestling is fake in that it's all set up. Some stuff you can't fake, but in the end, 99.9% of it is scripted.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wrestling has to be scripted, you can't do those moves to people otherwise, you'd kill someone.
            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Actually, it doesn't have to be scripted. But it does have to be practiced.

My live steel fighting group would have weekly practice sessions so that they could look good in a fight without having to actually script out every move. Basics such as where they met on the field, who died, and the like would be known beforehand, and we'd sometimes have special set-ups when we wanted to use fake blood , but for the most part, most of the battle pageant would be improv.

I imagine that most wrestling matches are similar. Basic key elements are part of the script, but a lot of what happens in between is up to the participants. I attended an event in LA way back when that had a memorable moment in it that looked pretty obviously scripted. By the time they hit the east coast, it went a lot smoother.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I do live steel fighting, it's fairly different in that you can pull shots, you can't pull shots in the air, you have to have scripted some of the stuff to happen, otherwise much badness will ensue.

Comment

I do live steel fighting, it's fairly different in that you can pull shots, you can't pull shots in the air, you have to have scripted some of the stuff to happen, otherwise much badness will ensue.
                  Guessing at what you said there, so tell me if I misinterpreted.

In pro wrestling, you generally have some idea of what the big spots of the match are gonna be. What's going to make the crowd go "HOLY SHIT." A lot of spots are called as the match goes on. A lot of it is improvised. Not all of it, but a lot of it.
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

They know who wins in advance. That's scripted fighting as far as I'm concerned.
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

When you do a backflip off the turnbuckle onto someone else, you don't pull that on the fly, the other person has to be in just the right spot and expecting it, otherwise bth parties get injured, badly, Lita broke her neck doing a move with a stuntman in Dark Angel because the timing was off a little, when there's that much planning and it still goes wrong, you don't pull that stuff on the fly, both people know it's coming and when.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        They know who wins in advance. That's scripted fighting as far as I'm concerned.
                        Of course it is. But it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. It may be staged, but they're still putting their lives on the line there.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                          Of course it is. But it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. It may be staged, but they're still putting their lives on the line there.
                          I don't care if it hurts. I enjoy boxing (even though that tends to get fixed) or MMA. People get hurt in that. But it's the goal to kick the shit out of the guy. Not get paid to act.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                            I don't care if it hurts. I enjoy boxing (even though that tends to get fixed) or MMA. People get hurt in that. But it's the goal to kick the shit out of the guy. Not get paid to act.
                            I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China, though.

Those are sports and professional wrestling is entertainment.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China, though.

Those are sports and professional wrestling is entertainment.

^-.-^
                              Which is the problem. It's entertainment but people that don't like it and claim it's fake don't want entertainment, they want sports.

Comment

With all the rampant steroid use, fixing, and buying/selling/trading of players, I'm not sure that 'real' professional sports are any less fake than sports entertainment.

Comment

Working...
                                X