No announcement yet.

Heat Wave.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I prefer the cold snaps to heat waves. If you are cold you can always grab more clothes or blankets.

In a heat wave you can only get but so naked.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I honestly don't know what's worse.

I started a thread about bitter cold earlier this late winter. I still think cold is worse, because there's still snow and ice involved.

Although last week's heat....yeah....last Sunday night when it all first started, my AC wasn't working. We were having a brownout of sorts, power was on but no one's AC was working very well in this entire building.

I didn't sleep for shit Sunday night/Monday morning.

When it gets over 80 degrees, even in low humidity, I have to have a fan pointed into my room or the bathroom, because the AC doesn't go that far, while I get ready for the day.

Comment

I could never live in a place without central a/c. Ever. I don't know how you guys using window units get by.

Comment

Mine's a wall unit, actually. It goes up by the ceiling. Unfortunately, with the layouts of these apartments, there is no real way of spreading the cool air around without a fan or two facing the bedrooms and bathroom.

If you want a rental with central air, it usually costs a hell of a lot more. They are usually only in newer apartments/duplexes, or are installed and they jack the rent way up.

My parents have a large unit outside, but it manages to get through all the main floor vents, but they still claim it isn't central air. It's better than here. If I had been better prepared and less tired, I would have packed everything up on Monday and spent until Thursday morning at their place.

It was awesome last night getting absolutely chilly in their house.

Because I'm moving back home next summer for a few months, my parents are going to buy me a window unit just for my bedroom, so I can still sleep up there during the day. I won't be able to sleep on the couch for work with my dad coming home in the early afternoon and being loud on his phone and screaming at FOX news, or the cats fighting all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
            I could never live in a place without central a/c. Ever. I don't know how you guys using window units get by.
            By making sure it's in a small room and never leaving that room.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              Strategic placement of fans.

I've lived in southern California all my life, and my family was always poor, so a/c just wasn't an option. But if you have the air moving in the right ways, it can do a lot to make it feel less miserable. And part of that is that it helps dry the sweat from your body, allowing you to cool further.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love the heat for one reason and one reason ONLY....... the business at my pizza place goes up by at least 50%. and considering the drop in business during the last 3 months I WELCOME more business = more runs for us drivers and better tips. April, May and June were the worst ones on record for my store. sales were down by 30%. my tipped income dropped the same.

usually when June hits and the kiddies leave school our runs per night go up. not this year normally we average 25 - 30 runs on a closing shift. this year we were literally praying for 18 during June and early July. now that the heat has hit we are seeing "normal" type business levels

I do not mind the heat but when you are used to the upper 60s and lower 70's then get slammed with mid to upper 90's with HIGH humidity and heat indexes in the 100's and 110's it can be bad.
                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                X